Nobody Cares

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I will still go to games because I care
I was never fired up about this season, knowing just how inadequate the coaching was going to be.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I feel like we have gone from being fired up for the season to disappointment to calling for the coach to be fired to amazement that the coach has not been fired to NOW…..apathy. I’m there. Why discuss? Why watch? Why go to games? A few have posted that they are checking out, but I never believed them. Now I do. I’m out. Caring when the powers that be do not is futile.
With the situation the way it is, lets say you got transferred here from your job in the Midwest. Would you even know GT has a football team with the coverage we get in the local media. I do not blame the media, i blame the Institute for letting us get in this sad, sad situation. It is not going to be an easy fix.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
i think people still care, just frustrated with something they can do nothing about, an AA that just keeps doing the same thing over and over, new version. everyone makes coaching hires that are failures, that's not what I'm nearly as frustrated with as I am our AA and school.

ChiTownGT

Georgia Tech Fan
Also, once again, on a crucial down and distance play, Sims didn’t not lower his shoulder to pick up the extra yard or two to sustain a drive. Instead he ran out of bounds. He clearly does not want to sacrifice his body for this team right now. I can either be angry with him for his lack of effort or I can say,
I'm sorry, but as much as I dislike the coaching staff, I can't fathom questioning Sims effort. Not just yesterday, but over the last 3 years he has hung in the pocket and taken so many back breaking hits just to give his receivers a chance to get open. And after each play, he gets up just to do it all again. How many times did you see yesterday that Sims took a huge hit in the pocket. And the part about not lowering his shoulder... that's not his game. He's fast enough where you can expect him to turn the corner instead of stupidly risking an injury on someone who has 30-100 lbs on him. This rant has gone long enough, but after watching the game yesterday, I don't see how your takeaway can be the team giving up when it was clearly the opposite.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry, but as much as I dislike the coaching staff, I can't fathom questioning Sims effort. Not just yesterday, but over the last 3 years he has hung in the pocket and taken so many back breaking hits just to give his receivers a chance to get open. And after each play, he gets up just to do it all again. How many times did you see yesterday that Sims took a huge hit in the pocket. And the part about not lowering his shoulder... that's not his game. He's fast enough where you can expect him to turn the corner instead of stupidly risking an injury on someone who has 30-100 lbs on him. This rant has gone long enough, but after watching the game yesterday, I don't see how your takeaway can be the team giving up when it was clearly the opposite.
Sorry, that’s the way it appeared to me. It was one play, I believe 4th down, he could have used his speed, split two defenders (I think DBs) and stretched for the marker. He chose not to physically engage and ran for the sidelines instead, about 2 or 3 yards short.

I thought I indicated in my post that I did not blame him. To further elaborate, there was no benefit in him risking injury. But the point was, if this team were going somewhere and needed a critical 1st down to preserve a win or a chance at a playoff, that is the play a QB makes. We’ve seen it already this year from 2 other QBs we’ve faced.

It was not a put down of Sims, it was a “here is the handwriting on the wall” moment about where our team is under Collins. Nobody wants to sacrifice for no good reason.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, that’s the way it appeared to me. It was one play, I believe 4th down, he could have used his speed, split two defenders (I think DBs) and stretched for the marker. He chose not to physically engage and ran for the sidelines instead, about 2 or 3 yards short.

I thought I indicated in my post that I did not blame him. To further elaborate, there was no benefit in him risking injury. But the point was, if this team were going somewhere and needed a critical 1st down to preserve a win or a chance at a playoff, that is the play a QB makes. We’ve seen it already this year from 2 other QBs we’ve faced.

It was not a put down of Sims, it was a “here is the handwriting on the wall” moment about where our team is under Collins. Nobody wants to sacrifice for no good reason.
We need him to be that player and he's not. It's part of the reason he's struggled to be the Leader. He's got the talent, the raw physical ability, but his mechanics are still not right & some of the type plays you cited make you scratch your head about whether he has the heart of a Champion. At another school, he might have done better but this challenge is too big for him it appears.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Man I've been apathetic for at least 2 years now. I'm utterly amazed some of y'all still cared based on what you've seen on the field. Hopefully next year I can have some excitement again but it's real f'ing bad right now.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Man I've been apathetic for at least 2 years now. I'm utterly amazed some of y'all still cared based on what you've seen on the field. Hopefully next year I can have some excitement again but it's real f'ing bad right now.
Hopefully by Tuesday GT will have renewed your interest in GT Athletics.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’m actually optimistic. The GTAA Board is finally taking action. Forty years too late, but at least somebody woke them up and got them off the couch.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't get what is happening with the punt team at all.
Last year the same punter had 62 punts with 1 blocked.
This year he already has 4 blocked on 26 punt attempts.

That suggests an issue much larger than the punter.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Hopefully by Tuesday GT will have renewed your interest in GT Athletics.
I've already said I have zero interest in attending a game until he's gone so yes hopefully I'll bet interested again. Probably not until we completely clean house though.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
I've already said I have zero interest in attending a game until he's gone so yes hopefully I'll bet interested again. Probably not until we completely clean house though.
Maybe I misunderstand. First, it was get rid of Collins to attend. Now it’s clean house. is there a next criteria? We should support the team.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I’m actually optimistic. The GTAA Board is finally taking action. Forty years too late, but at least somebody woke them up and got them off the couch.
Who on the GTAA board gives you confidence? Looks like a committee of a bunch academics to me.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck

The game was over at that point. We were down 3 scores with 3.5 minutes left. I’d prefer he stay healthy.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The game was over at that point. We were down 3 scores with 3.5 minutes left. I’d prefer he stay healthy.
I like Sims but he has to be consistently accurate in his short passes. Too many in feet of receiver or air mailed. I would ride w him. I hope that this time w bad blocking will end and the game will slow down.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

If the coaches have given up on the game with 3.5 minutes left why is the backup QB not in the game?

You cannot be a winning football player and make unsuccessful plays to protect from getting hit. You cannot be a leader on the football team and fail to make plays while giving the appearance of protecting your self from getting hit. When the situation requires you to step up you are either a winning football player or not and if you are a leader on the team you have to set the example. McCollum just set the "no quit/I am trying to win" example. Running out of bounds when we desperately need to move the chains is not setting the example a team leader needs to set if we want to win. This may be more on the coaches than on the player. Who knows what his instructions are? Nonetheless it boosts the accusations that the team is soft and it sends the wrong message to everybody.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
M
Yeah, I’ve been wondering what that would look like too.

Tough place to be as a fan. I was pulling hard for Tech to pull off the upset yesterday. Until the punt was blocked.

Then all I could think about was what I said in real time when our first punt got blocked this year -that it was obvious we were slow getting it off and this was going to keep happening if we didn’t change some basic techniques.

Now it’s happened 3 more times.

I want to support the players. Dearly. But how do you say, “I’m sorry you’re not getting the coaching you deserve and that you were promised when you came here”?

Also, once again, on a crucial down and distance play, Sims didn’t not lower his shoulder to pick up the extra yard or two to sustain a drive. Instead he ran out of bounds. He clearly does not want to sacrifice his body for this team right now. I can either be angry with him for his lack of effort or I can say, “Yeah, bro, I’m there with you and I’m not going to put in much effort either right now until there is a reason to.”

Just venting.
Maybe Sims is already thinking about next year.