No uga

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I‘ve encountered both sentiments from UGA fans and I think the “UGA fans don’t care about the rivalry” is a generational thing. It seems a lot of UGA fans in their 20s don’t even remember losing to us three years in a row from 98-2000. If their earliest memories are Richt, then I can see why they don’t “get” the rivalry. We’ve only won 4 times since that three peat which was 20 years ago. It seems any mutt fan 35+ wants to play us, from my experience.
If we have a major breakthrough?

I FULLY expect to be a top 15 team from 2022 and on.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I do not think we will play football this season. Regardless, I also think our days of playing UGA are over. There’s precedent now NOT to play Tech and that’s only going to increase.

I wouldn't mind making the uga series once every 3 years or so. Schedule the likes of Auburn, Tennessee in the off years. Of course, we have to get these schools to agree to it. Lol

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't mind making the uga series once every 3 years or so. Schedule the likes of Auburn, Tennessee in the off years. Of course, we have to get these schools to agree to it. Lol

I think it’s more likely we will schedule Vanderbilt. Of course, we have to get them to agree.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
We recruit directly against Stanford way too often for me to want to give them a game in GA to leverage against us.
If that’s the reasoning for not scheduling a non-conference opponent we might as well not schedule anybody outside the the southeast. Every other big time P5 is scheduling H&H’s with other major schools, but I guess Tech can’t.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If that’s the reasoning for not scheduling a non-conference opponent we might as well not schedule anybody outside the the southeast. Every other big time P5 is scheduling H&H’s with other major schools, but I guess Tech can’t.

I guess not. It isn't like they have a H-H schedule with Ole Miss, Colorado, and Alabama in the future. Or I guess Ole Miss, Colorado, and Alabama don't meet your definition of "major schools".

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I guess not. It isn't like they have a H-H schedule with Ole Miss, Colorado, and Alabama in the future. Or I guess Ole Miss, Colorado, and Alabama don't meet your definition of "major schools".
Lmao. I never said anything about the schedule. I said I would like to see Tech play Stanford, to which that idea was shut down because of some recruiting advantages. But none of this is relevant to this thread anyway

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
(y) Context matters. That was in response to someone else saying they didn’t want to play Stanford for recruiting purposes. I’m not even sure what you’re trying to get at. Like I said, it’s irrelevant regardless.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I'm all for scheduling regional opponents and even ND. Stanford is a johnny come lately school that is trying to build a pipeline into the south east for recruiting. I say let them schedule GSU or GaSo if they need more access to our recruiting grounds.

And it's not like we aren't scheduling big schools in our OoC future.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
uga fans running their mouth about not caring to play Tech anymore don’t know much about branding. uga needs the rivalry more than Tech does b/c it keeps a presence of their brand in Atlanta - their main recruiting territory. It’s the same reason teams flock to the Chik-Fil-A kickoff games.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
uga fans running their mouth about not caring to play Tech anymore don’t know much about branding. uga needs the rivalry more than Tech does b/c it keeps a presence of their brand in Atlanta - their main recruiting territory. It’s the same reason teams flock to the Chik-Fil-A kickoff games.
Your drinking if you think UGA needs to play us to keep their brand in Atlanta. They own Atlanta. The press and electronic media fawns over them, the SEC holds its football kickoff and title game here. UGA plays in the MBS more than we do. We are an after thought in our own city. The Athletic just demoted Tech and took away our beat writer. I like that CGC wants to try and take back the city, but you've got to get this series competitive if you want that. UGA could deal a near death blow to our football program by cancelling the series.

Milwaukee

Banned
Your drinking if you think UGA needs to play us to keep their brand in Atlanta. They own Atlanta. The press and electronic media fawns over them, the SEC holds its football kickoff and title game here. UGA plays in the MBS more than we do. We are an after thought in our own city. The Athletic just demoted Tech and took away our beat writer. I like that CGC wants to try and take back the city, but you've got to get this series competitive if you want that. UGA could deal a near death blow to our football program by cancelling the series.

They own us, no sane person will argue that. But only an idiot thinks GT football is over without playing UGA.

Take a Xanax.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Would Tech really be less relevant if we didn’t play UGA every year? We were ranked as one of the top 25 college football programs of all time in SI just 4 years ago. We’ve gone to bowls like 25 out of the last 28 years or some crazy stat. We’ve had like two losing records in conference play in like 20 years. We’ve done all of this in a Power 5 conference. There’s literally a hundred or so schools that play college football that would love to have the same accomplishments we have. We are, historically, an above average program.

Why do we, as fans, and our local media not see us this way? Because we’re number two in our own state. But more importantly than that, because we have a winning percentage under 40% to the team that’s number one in the state. I think we should play UGA every year, but an 8 win seasons without playing UGA will go down much easier than an 8 win season with a loss at the end of the year against UGA. It also doesn’t help that we play them at the end of the year, so a loss puts a very bad taste in our mouths even after a solid season.

Look at the fact that the fanbase seems to prefer 2014 and even 2008 over 2009 even though we actually won a conference championship in 2009. Why? we lost to UGA. 2014 might still be preferred with the big win against UGA and 11 wins, but I don’t think many people would pick the 9-4 2008 season(With a wonderful against UGA) over 11-3 conference champions 2009 if we had the exact same record in 2009 but lost to Auburn instead of playing UGA at all.

Losing to them 60% of the time may hurt more than just not playing them as far as the perspective of our success. I say this as someone who WANTS to play them every year, FWIW.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm all for scheduling regional opponents and even ND. Stanford is a johnny come lately school that is trying to build a pipeline into the south east for recruiting. I say let them schedule GSU or GaSo if they need more access to our recruiting grounds.

And it's not like we aren't scheduling big schools in our OoC future.

Our OOC future after this season includes two power-5 conference teams scheduled in each of the next seven years running.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Would Tech really be less relevant if we didn’t play UGA every year? We were ranked as one of the top 25 college football programs of all time in SI just 4 years ago. We’ve gone to bowls like 25 out of the last 28 years or some crazy stat. We’ve had like two losing records in conference play in like 20 years. We’ve done all of this in a Power 5 conference. There’s literally a hundred or so schools that play college football that would love to have the same accomplishments we have. We are, historically, an above average program.

Why do we, as fans, and our local media not see us this way? Because we’re number two in our own state. But more importantly than that, because we have a winning percentage under 40% to the team that’s number one in the state. I think we should play UGA every year, but an 8 win seasons without playing UGA will go down much easier than an 8 win season with a loss at the end of the year against UGA. It also doesn’t help that we play them at the end of the year, so a loss puts a very bad taste in our mouths even after a solid season.

Look at the fact that the fanbase seems to prefer 2014 and even 2008 over 2009 even though we actually won a conference championship in 2009. Why? we lost to UGA. 2014 might still be preferred with the big win against UGA and 11 wins, but I don’t think many people would pick the 9-4 2008 season(With a wonderful against UGA) over 11-3 conference champions 2009 if we had the exact same record in 2009 but lost to Auburn instead of playing UGA at all.

Losing to them 60% of the time may hurt more than just not playing them as far as the perspective of our success. I say this as someone who WANTS to play them every year, FWIW.
I think you are spot on about the feelings of our fan base. However, the local media is going to be tough to bring back. As Stansbury says, we are in the big boy neighborhood in college football and frankly the Atlanta media views us as a Tier 2 when you compare us to the UGA, Clemson's Auburn and Bamas of the world. If we beat UGA three in a row (big if) I think that narrative starts to change. But we can't go out and keep getting our asses handed to us by our two biggest rivals and expect the media to respect the program even if we do have winning seasons.

I think back to the 85-90 basketball seasons. The BB program truly owned Atlanta and the media during that run. It can happen in football, but we have to start winning these games. And for the record I want to play UGA also, but Clemson is a more important game IMO.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
We might never play them again. The younger and new bandwagon UGA fans don’t want to play Tech. They think the game is a lose lose for them, which in the theory it is unless Tech has a major breakthrough and can provide a ranked vs ranked matchup annually or atleast play UGA competitive and not just get blown out every game. It would crush me if we no longer played them but it’s in the cards.
We will ALWAYS play uga.