No Players Invited to the Combine

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Anree maybe but honestly who else from last season would make an nfl roster? Look I’m GT all the war through and love what these SA’s do but that being said there’s no nfl talent that graduated. I’m sure a few will pop up in the AAF or XFL in a year or two but NFL? I hope I’m proven wrong. Now I’m the next few years I see a couple that could be, especially in the secondary.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
Could this have to do with the coaching transition? I don’t know how this works, but maybe coaches lobby for their players to get invites? ASA does seem like the only obvious snub, and he’s not exactly an all world player, so maybe our one guy just didn’t make the cut.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Prove em wrong. Scouts will be in contact with ASA regardless. Dude has the potential to be a beast.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Players who didn't get invited to the NFL combine other than Julian Edelman...
Malcolm Butler
Victor Cruz
Dough Baldwin
Antonio Gates
Chris Harris
Tyreek Hill
Adam Thielen
Alejandro Villanueva
Phillip Lindsay

Snubs happen and it sucks we didn't have anyone get invited, but its not the end of the world for them luckily.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Shaq Mason wasn't invited. Now one of the top 5 OGs is the League.

Not getting invited isn't the end of the world for players, but it's certainly something nice to point to in living rooms when you're recruiting elite players.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Shaq Mason wasn't invited. Now one of the top 5 OGs is the League.

Not getting invited isn't the end of the world for players, but it's certainly something nice to point to in living rooms when you're recruiting elite players.
They must have a prototype set of parameters that they use, eg height, weight, speed etc. What they can't measure is attitude and desire.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Only ACC school to not have a player invited. I hate that. Please no one get mad at me or think I am taking shots, but honestly, this is more evidence that our way of doing things was not sustainable, anymore, even though we had good results with it in the past. For our best players to not even get a look....it should never happen.

Is this where we say “it was what it was”?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
At an apologetics conference I met a player that was supposed to be 4th pic, but injury kept him from running at combine so he had to walk on a practice squad. Barely made that. Then at end of year he got picked up as 2 ol guys were injured.
Scratch and claw.
Coach Collins says he wants to help guys to nfl. We will enjoy watching and cheering
I am the 6 2 fat guy on the right .
Go jackets.

20180224_162135.jpg

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
What about Will Bryan not invited. He is a very versatile player and according to Flea he is working on his conditioning and weight for his shot at the NFL. I hope he makes it. Like Parker he was a great player for us and seemed willing to sacrifice at times for the team. Both seem to be great kids.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I am not a
Only ACC school to not have a player invited. I hate that. Please no one get mad at me or think I am taking shots, but honestly, this is more evidence that our way of doing things was not sustainable, anymore, even though we had good results with it in the past. For our best players to not even get a look....it should never happen.
I am not a conspiracy person but I swear at times it felt like a combined effort to get rid of CPJ. Recruiting sites dropping a player's ranking because he signed with Tech, coaches lobbying for rule changes that solely hurt Tech, Cutcliffe's decades long campaign against cut blocking by Tech, negative recruiting that convinced some defensive players that practicing at Tech could end their careers, Kirby Smart saying he resented having to spend all season preparing for Tech, a certain NFL scout trash talking about CPJ -the list seemed endless.

I am excited about the new regime but wonder what the next line of attack will be against Tech. My guess is we will go back to "No social life, dangerous city, calculus is hard and no females on campus." Remember, as with the previous criticisms, they don't have to be true, just repeated over and over.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
What about Will Bryan not invited. He is a very versatile player and according to Flea he is working on his conditioning and weight for his shot at the NFL. I hope he makes it. Like Parker he was a great player for us and seemed willing to sacrifice at times for the team. Both seem to be great kids.
I still can’t understand what happened with Will. He was such a good player and versatile enough to play guard and tackle. I suspect if he had been allowed to stay at guard things might have ended differently, but he was needed at tackle, so he did what was best for the team. Then he completely disappeared from the rotation and CPJ wasn’t even mentioning him when he’d list off all the OL contributors. It was a shame to see that #70 jersey completely clean at the end of senior day.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I am not a

I am not a conspiracy person but I swear at times it felt like a combined effort to get rid of CPJ. Recruiting sites dropping a player's ranking because he signed with Tech, coaches lobbying for rule changes that solely hurt Tech, Cutcliffe's decades long campaign against cut blocking by Tech, negative recruiting that convinced some defensive players that practicing at Tech could end their careers, Kirby Smart saying he resented having to spend all season preparing for Tech, a certain NFL scout trash talking about CPJ -the list seemed endless.

I am excited about the new regime but wonder what the next line of attack will be against Tech. My guess is we will go back to "No social life, dangerous city, calculus is hard and no females on campus." Remember, as with the previous criticisms, they don't have to be true, just repeated over and over.

I feel like we have some decent counterpoints to those old complaints about girls, calculus, etc. Yes, they will still work on some recruits, but I think this staff can overcome them, to some degree. The anti 3O talking points were killing us to a degree I had not realized until CPJ stepped down. It is becoming more clear why he did.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I still can’t understand what happened with Will. He was such a good player and versatile enough to play guard and tackle. I suspect if he had been allowed to stay at guard things might have ended differently, but he was needed at tackle, so he did what was best for the team. Then he completely disappeared from the rotation and CPJ wasn’t even mentioning him when he’d list off all the OL contributors. It was a shame to see that #70 jersey completely clean at the end of senior day.
At one of the last practice session before the bowl, he really was dressed down in ol huddle for the goof ups during the previous days practice. He and Morgan were at graduation. "Player roll eyes placed here."
In bowl game did Will get playing time even. Not very classy way to treat a player even if you are retiring.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
They must have a prototype set of parameters that they use, eg height, weight, speed etc. What they can't measure is attitude and desire.

Combine invites are from requests by NFL teams. If an SA gets a certain amount of requests by NFL teams, they will be invited.

http://www.nflcombine.net/faq/how-are-players-selected-for-the-nfl-combine

To your point about measure of attitude and desire...100% spot on. Shaq Mason has outperformed MANY first and second round OLs. I'd venture to guess if teams could do it over, Shaq would be one of the first OLs taken in his class.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
*GTswarm disclaimer... I love what PJ did, but maybe this speaks more to player development and recruiting the past decade. Prior to that, we seemed to have more NFL talent. When is the last time we had an offensive player drafted? Stephen Hill? Shaq was an absolute steal for the Pats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
*GTswarm disclaimer... I love what PJ did, but maybe this speaks more to player development and recruiting the past decade. Prior to that, we seemed to have more NFL talent. When is the last time we had an offensive player drafted? Stephen Hill? Shaq was an absolute steal for the Pats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaq Mason was drafted in the 4th round