NIT Experimental Rules

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
FWIW I’d be ok with the 5th foul being a 1 and 1 with the rest being 2 shot fouls. I’m just a fan of resetting the fouls at the 10 minute mark so teams can play aggressive defense for the first 10 minutes.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I like the rules. I hate that they call so many fouls in college, and this keeps the game flowing better IMO. 1 and 1s get on my nerves because so many college kids can't hit free throws.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
With the experimental foul rules, I'd like to see teams take advantage before the 10 minute mark with fouls to give. Go hyper-aggressive press and make plays on the ball. If you foul, oh well. If you find the ball, great. Could even put in end of bench players to not rack up fouls on your top guys. If you get to 4 team fouls, put the starters back in.

Not sure how I feel about the shot clock reset to just 20 seconds if a foul occurs in the front court. Seems like 20 seconds is a marginal penalty for a defense that fouls. Don't have to defend a full 30.

One rule I'd rather see changed is not allowing teams to throw the ball into the back court on a baseline out of bounds play. A rule change there should cause more creative inbound plays or more exciting turnovers.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
With the experimental foul rules, I'd like to see teams take advantage before the 10 minute mark with fouls to give. Go hyper-aggressive press and make plays on the ball. If you foul, oh well. If you find the ball, great. Could even put in end of bench players to not rack up fouls on your top guys. If you get to 4 team fouls, put the starters back in.

Not sure how I feel about the shot clock reset to just 20 seconds if a foul occurs in the front court. Seems like 20 seconds is a marginal penalty for a defense that fouls. Don't have to defend a full 30.

One rule I'd rather see changed is not allowing teams to throw the ball into the back court on a baseline out of bounds play. A rule change there should cause more creative inbound plays or more exciting turnovers.
I do think there have been several times in the first 10 minutes where we have handchecked a player on a drive because they beat us off the first step. That wouldn't happen with current rules.