NIT Experimental Rules

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Haven’t actually seen much discussion on this but I think the new foul rules seem to have a pretty big effect on these games. I thought it was pointless at first but it really is nice not seeing teams go to the foul line with every touch foul under the 8 minute mark. You see a lot more aggressive defense early on because you don’t have to worry about the other team being in the bonus for 10 minutes and you see aggressive defense late in the half because teams aren’t in the bonus.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I like it, but IMO it's silly to reset at 10 min. Just play 4 quarters.

Agreed. It's ridiculous that the NBA and women's cbb both play quarters but men's cbb plays 2 halves.

On the bad side, it's a shame the new rules included a suspension of 3-second violations. That really helped that Saiz guy. I mean, he's already a HOF talent. Allowing him to camp in the lane for 8 seconds at a time was a killer. They really gotta reassess that.

crut

Helluva Engineer
Not a fan for the most part. 1 and 1s are fantastic for both developing important skills in the sport (FT shooting) and for entertainment purposes. A lot of comebacks are only possible though missed FTs on 1 and 1s. It would be really detrimental to the wildness of college basketball to get rid of that.

I am ok with the foul reset I guess (although it feels like it doesn't fit right) but I think college basketball likes the uniqueness of 2 halves, and I get that. There's no true benefit of having quarters other than it's what other leagues do. It's hardly noticeable. The thing that slows down the game so much is all the TV timeouts. I understand those aren't going away, but a suggestion could be to go to 3 TV TOs per half (at 15:00, 10:00, and 5:00) instead of the 4, and add an extra :30 commercial to each so networks aren't complaining about it.

If, against my will, they do end up going to a 10:00 min reset like this, I hope they still include 1 and 1s. Something like, at 4 fouls you get a 1 and 1, at 6 you get 2 shots.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Not a fan for the most part. 1 and 1s are fantastic for both developing important skills in the sport (FT shooting) and for entertainment purposes. A lot of comebacks are only possible though missed FTs on 1 and 1s. It would be really detrimental to the wildness of college basketball to get rid of that.

I am ok with the foul reset I guess (although it feels like it doesn't fit right) but I think college basketball likes the uniqueness of 2 halves, and I get that. There's no true benefit of having quarters other than it's what other leagues do. It's hardly noticeable. The thing that slows down the game so much is all the TV timeouts. I understand those aren't going away, but a suggestion could be to go to 3 TV TOs per half (at 15:00, 10:00, and 5:00) instead of the 4, and add an extra :30 commercial to each so networks aren't complaining about it.

If, against my will, they do end up going to a 10:00 min reset like this, I hope they still include 1 and 1s. Something like, at 4 fouls you get a 1 and 1, at 6 you get 2 shots.

I get what you're saying but instead of fewer 1 and 1s would this rule mean the 1 & 1s happen at more critical times typically?

jeffgt14

The percentage of comebacks happening from missed 1 and 1’s has to be pretty small. Those 1 and 1’s usually occur around the 9 minutes mark.

crut

Helluva Engineer
The percentage of comebacks happening from missed 1 and 1’s has to be pretty small. Those 1 and 1’s usually occur around the 9 minutes mark.

I gotta disagree here. There's plenty of games where teams aren't even in the bonus at the end and have to foul a couple times to get the other team to 1 and 1s.

jeffgt14

I gotta disagree here. There's plenty of games where teams aren't even in the bonus at the end and have to foul a couple times to get the other team to 1 and 1s.
The only reason a team isn’t in the bonus towards the end is because they haven’t played defense the entire half because they didn’t want to the other team to be in the bonus for 10 minutes. Personally, I think the rule allows for teams to actually play some defense for 20 minutes instead of either the first 10 minutes or last 10 minutes.

crut

Helluva Engineer
The only reason a team isn’t in the bonus towards the end is because they haven’t played defense the entire half because they didn’t want to the other team to be in the bonus for 10 minutes. Personally, I think the rule allows for teams to actually play some defense for 20 minutes instead of either the first 10 minutes or last 10 minutes.

Huh? GT is 5th in KenPom efficiency (quote via CJP) and has been in plenty of games where the other team isn't in the bonus until late in the game.

jeffgt14

Huh? GT is 5th in KenPom efficiency (quote via CJP) and has been in plenty of games where the other team isn't in the bonus until late in the game.
I get it. I’ve just personally noticed a difference in how teams play defense particularly in the first 10 minutes of each half.