NIL, Transfers, and Stratospheric Salaries. What Is the Future of GT Football and College Football in General?

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 14766

I don’t know how tech feasibly fits into the landscape like this. Hell I don’t know how factories can keep doing that year over year. UGA paying 5k just to lose a kid to Bama. Ohio State paying kids 5k to get them on campus because if not Michigan will.

This all just seems bonkers, and I’m actually for kids finally getting compensation.

It’s eventually gonna become a factories league and then the still sorta act like student athletes league.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
What part of "pay me to consider you" would be outside of the NCAA's current power to enforce? Even in the maximal sorts of interpretations of the Supreme Court's potential future willingness to overturn regulations or declare athletes employees, that's *before there's any relationship at all*.

Using that as a reason for Congress to get involved, instead of making and enforcing rules today, appears like the NCAA is just intentionally making things as bad as possible to try to get government sympathy to put back anti-student-compensation regulations in law because they can't get away with them in the courts directly.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Just in case you guys aren't aware - section 103 has a NIL deal with the several players to offer tee shirt jerseys (the cool kids call them sherseys). You wanna help us retain some kids? Buy their jersey.

I can't wait for them offer a Singleton jersey!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yo, Hyundai and GT NIL collective! Get with the NIL times...

As a guy who drives a Toyota Tundra, good luck to those football players driving a RAM truck. Good possibility you'll be late to practice one day as you sit on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. RAM interiors are luxury car quality (probably the nicest interiors of any truck), so at least you'll have something nice to sit in while you wait...

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I believe this is just the NCAA changing the rules to officially allow what has already been happening. Nothing to see here, move along folks.

davesbrain

Georgia Tech Fan
On the surface, it might appear that doing away with the NFL's 3-year rule would hurt the top-tier programs disproportionately and thus improve parity. But I'm not so sure that there would be a dramatic difference over the long haul. Consider other college sports that don't have such a rule, like basketball. Is there more parity? Consider that fielding a competitive BB team does not require the level of expense and capital outlays that football does, and thus allows many smaller schools to participate at the highest level. Yet we still see the "haves" and the "have-nots", with the most successful programs willing to do whatever it takes, financially and academically, to obtain the best players available.

I think the most recent ncaa tournament proves that there is quite a bit of parity in men's basketball

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Wow. Could not be anymore straightforward than this.

And Syracuse’s lament about the portal eating up their roster depth is equally straightforward.

So, this is where we are. I was shot down vigorously when I suggested a few years ago that schools ought to have a cap placed on how many top recruits they can have on a roster. Everyone explained how this wasn’t fair or why it wouldn’t work but I think smart people could figure out a way. People thought Dodd was off base for criticizing Alabama, who had SEC endorsement, offering almost unlimited scholarships and stockpiling players only to process out a high number every year. He was right and the NCAA began to further limit scholarships.

The pros created parity with the draft system. Scholarships, NIL, and the portal are College Football’s draft system. And so far, it has few if any restrictions. The rich will continue to get richer.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Wow. Could not be anymore straightforward than this.

And Syracuse’s lament about the portal eating up their roster depth is equally straightforward.

So, this is where we are. I was shot down vigorously when I suggested a few years ago that schools ought to have a cap placed on how many top recruits they can have on a roster. Everyone explained how this wasn’t fair or why it wouldn’t work but I think smart people could figure out a way. People thought Dodd was off base for criticizing Alabama, who had SEC endorsement, offering almost unlimited scholarships and stockpiling players only to process out a high number every year. He was right and the NCAA began to further limit scholarships.

The pros created parity with the draft system. Scholarships, NIL, and the portal are College Football’s draft system. And so far, it has few if any restrictions. The rich will continue to get richer.
In my opinion, there will be nothing done toward parity until the athletic teams are totally decoupled from the academics. As long as it's tied to getting a secondary education, there's no way to limit where someone goes to college. There can be limits on numbers of scholarships, but a team can have 85 5* players on their roster and there's no way to limit that.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
In my opinion, there will be nothing done toward parity until the athletic teams are totally decoupled from the academics. As long as it's tied to getting a secondary education, there's no way to limit where someone goes to college. There can be limits on numbers of scholarships, but a team can have 85 5* players on their roster and there's no way to limit that.
I think most everybody agrees with you.

I still think there’s a way to do it. But first we have to get over the fantasy that every 5 star player that goes to a football factory goes because they admire the English department.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
While I agree, in my opinion, nothing will be done about parity because there is little interest in parity.
1. The schools for the most part make the rules and the ones at the top of the heap won’t give up their advantage.
2. The really big cash grab at the moment is coming from broadcasting and will presumably continue to be the case in some way / shape / form. Having 80+ teams on equal footing isn’t beneficial to that model. Its expensive to broadcast 40-70 games a week and I think the media would be happy broadcasting far fewer, yet higher revenue games.
I think they’ll start worrying about “parity” once they have their top tier of 40-ish teams…. And to your first point, that will likely coincide with a decoupling from academics.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
These players would have dual enrollment their senior year in HS. They'd spend their "freshman" year in college finishing HS and taking "college" classes online. That way, when they arrived on campus, they'd be sophomores, ready to play.
Will have to fill in the crack then... Make it first year after high school GRADUATION :sneaky:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think most everybody agrees with you.

I still think there’s a way to do it. But first we have to get over the fantasy that every 5 star player that goes to a football factory goes because they admire the English department.
I recently chatted with a highly recruited D1 player whose time was in the 80's.

He suggested that NIL was not the problem, the transfer portal was the problem. Coaches have to create entirely new teams every year now and there's nowhere near the comradery or development there used to be (his opinion).

He is also a coach and made this suggestion: You are recruited by a college team, say University A. And your first year there is 2024, aka Year 1. You will now receive a payout of a percentage of ALL NIL generated that year by the 2024 class and its distributed according to some calculation, but preferably more is held so that it pays out more over time, rather than all at once. If you stay all four years, you get all of it (Class 2024 and earn years for Years 1-4). But ...

If you enter the portal, now you are in Year 1 of the new school. University B. Your pro rata share of you old school is now zero. And now you are entitled a percentage of the 2025 class and the only way to get more is to stay in school and meet certain standards (e.g., credit hours, academic progress, etc.).

He believed students do need to earn something, but ... its more important to reduce the constant transfers. I thought it was an interesting concept but not sure where it goes. He is active with the NCAA, so perhaps they are thinking of something.

He did say, it's pointless to pay by position. Highly paid QB's are worthless without a line. That needs to be addressed in someway .. perhaps 60/40, 55/45, etc.