NIL, Transfers, and Stratospheric Salaries. What Is the Future of GT Football and College Football in General?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
NCAA stated he should have been ruled ineligible.

3. FAILURE TO MEET THE CONDITIONS AND OBLIGATIONS OF MEMBERSHIP. [NCAA Constitution 3.2.4.3 and Bylaw 14.11.1] In late 2009, the institution failed to meet the conditions and obligations of membership in that the institution did not withhold student-athlete 1 from competition when the institution was made aware of information which raised serious questions about whether he was involved in violations of NCAA legislation and thus should have been declared ineligible.

Yet he was never deemed ineligible. That’s contrary to our entire sense of Justice in this country.

Punish the player and the team because he might have done something that could have made him ineligible. Forget that it’s the uga game and the ACCCG. That’s absolutely asinine.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yet he was never deemed ineligible. That’s contrary to our entire sense of Justice in this country.

Punish the player and the team because he might have done something that could have made him ineligible. Forget that it’s the uga game and the ACCCG. That’s absolutely asinine.

He was never deemed ineligible simply because by the time the NCAA ruled, he was a rookie in the NFL. The NCAA clearly said he should have been ruled ineligible and we were punished for it.

There's a lot to argue about how the NCAA does enforcement, but the text of the document clearly states that the NCAA considered him an ineligible player.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
He was never deemed ineligible simply because by the time the NCAA ruled, he was a rookie in the NFL. The NCAA clearly said he should have been ruled ineligible and we were punished for it.

There's a lot to argue about how the NCAA does enforcement, but the text of the document clearly states that the NCAA considered him an ineligible player.
No. That’s not how it happened. The NCAA was pissed that we played him because we felt he was not ineligible. They wanted us to hold him out until they did their investigation. On the end, he was never ruled ineligible, which means our call to play him was appropriate. But, GT can’t thumb their nose at the NCAA and get away with it. We’re not UNC with a pack of rabid lawyers ready to sue the NCAA.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It’s laughable to think tech does not participate in anything under the table. It’s the name of the game. Are we as egregious as other programs? No, but we still do.
That’s not the point. Name a time when we were caught cheating. And by cheating, I mean really cheating, not this weak-*** sauce like Thomas or Carter. That’s more rules infractions as opposed to cheating.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
No. That’s not how it happened. The NCAA was pissed that we played him because we felt he was not ineligible. They wanted us to hold him out until they did their investigation. On the end, he was never ruled ineligible, which means our call to play him was appropriate. But, GT can’t thumb their nose at the NCAA and get away with it. We’re not UNC with a pack of rabid lawyers ready to sue the NCAA.

I mean, I posted the link to the official NCAA document that said he should have been deemed ineligible by the school, but hey, go with whatever facts make you feel better...

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I mean, I posted the link to the official NCAA document that said he should have been deemed ineligible by the school, but hey, go with whatever facts make you feel better...
Just because they say we should rule a player accused of something but not found guilty of something that would preclude him from playing in the final 2 games of his college career, including the conference championship, we should do that. Sorry, that’s BS. We did what was right and correct. They investigated and DT was never ruled ineligible, which vindicates our decision. They didn’t like it and slammed us. That’s ****ty of them and cowardly of our president and AD for not fighting it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Top 50 teams break apart and become ran by the NFL with mega media rights
I think it's a great idea, and probably inevitable. The NCAA has been totally feckless and irrelevant on the changes happening to CFB. I could imagine a scenario similar to ROTC ... get drafted to a school but the NFL pays you a salary and pays the school for the SA's education and training costs. And organizes a much more level playing field on media rights and payouts.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think it's a great idea, and probably inevitable. The NCAA has been totally feckless and irrelevant on the changes happening to CFB. I could imagine a scenario similar to ROTC ... get drafted to a school but the NFL pays you a salary and pays the school for the SA's education and training costs. And organizes a much more level playing field on media rights and payouts.
I have a new neighbor next door whose daughter is a D1 softball pitcher. She played one season. at a midwestern university, then transferred to a school in Texas. She was courted by #1 ranked Oklahoma because she pitched two no-hitters (one was a perfect game) at her first school. But, she chose to deny OU because her boyfriend is a grad student at this school. Drafting teens to play at a specific college is a preamble to an omnishamble. I am withholding her name to respect my neighbor's anonymity.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I have a new neighbor next door whose daughter is a D1 softball pitcher. She played one season. at a midwestern university, then transferred to a school in Texas. She was courted by #1 ranked Oklahoma because she pitched two no-hitters (one was a perfect game) at her first school. But, she chose to deny OU because her boyfriend is a grad student at this school. Drafting teens to play at a specific college is a preamble to an omnishamble. I am withholding her name to respect my neighbor's anonymity.
Perhaps draft is not the right word. If I wanted to go NROTC, I list 3 schools, apply, get accepted .... pick one. Then ... the NFL (or NewCo), controls the rules for transfer. For example, as I recall, you can't screw around in ROTC. If you fail to graduate, you have to repay your tuition and go to work as a swabby.

I think the NFL could bring a lot of the structure that the NCAA simply refuses to do. And NCAA presidents don't want to do it either. They just want the mailbox money.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
So you’re thinking the NFL is all in, even beyond a media deal? That’s interesting…
That would make college players and coaches NFL employees? I am not sure how the NFL would “level” the athletic donation aspect unless they separate the football programs from the rest of the athletic dept. and essentially keep donations out of football. I would think that would result in a pretty significant loss of donations for most schools. Would schools go for that? Maybe… if the money is right. We’ve seen a whole lot of stupid stuff happening for money so far!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Once things got into the California courts, it was all over. NCAA has no self governance at all and they didn't do a very good job before. I'm surprised UNC hasn't sued the NCAA over the player that has been ruled ineligible for the year for 3 transfers.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
So you’re thinking the NFL is all in, even beyond a media deal? That’s interesting…
That would make college players and coaches NFL employees? I am not sure how the NFL would “level” the athletic donation aspect unless they separate the football programs from the rest of the athletic dept. and essentially keep donations out of football. I would think that would result in a pretty significant loss of donations for most schools. Would schools go for that? Maybe… if the money is right. We’ve seen a whole lot of stupid stuff happening for money so far!
The concept is interesting and I could see some type of organization created for the top 50 +/- schools, but I don’t see any school president or super-rich, influential alumnae being subservient to the NFL. Perhaps more importantly, I don’t know why the NFL would want to take on the huge mess this would be.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Do I think they are all in TODAY? No. But the article points out that the NCAA is doing well financially (even with the lack of governance) but could be doing exponentially better under professional management, much like what the NFL could bring.

ROTC students ARE employees of the Federal government and receive a stipend and benefits. What's the difference if the NFL does the same for SA's?

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Do I think they are all in TODAY? No. But the article points out that the NCAA is doing well financially (even with the lack of governance) but could be doing exponentially better under professional management, much like what the NFL could bring.

ROTC students ARE employees of the Federal government and receive a stipend and benefits. What's the difference if the NFL does the same for SA's?
I’m not saying it isn’t doable, I just doubt the NFL or the colleges would get to that level.
I can see the NFL essentially brokering a huge media deal but I don’t see them diving into the inner workings of college athletic departments

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’m not saying it isn’t doable, I just doubt the NFL or the colleges would get to that level.
I can see the NFL essentially brokering a huge media deal but I don’t see them diving into the inner workings of college athletic departments
Who says they have to? The Navy doesn't get involved in the inner workings of an engineering school. They do pay students and provide guidance towards an eventual career in the military.

One of the advantages of the PGA/LIV integration is that the Saudis are very well versed in managing global sports organizations and will bring a lot of structure to the whole thing that has been missing.

I don't think any details are worked out at all, but it's a very interesting concept.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
So would the NFL team pay all expenses to the university for a high potential player (5*) to attend the college? I am sure there would be who is in charge issues, playing time, starts, injury management, etc. What they need is a real minor league for football but as some already said, they are getting that free now. Don't see either model happening for now. I could foresee universities having teams that are really employees but aren't necessarily students. Hired to play football or basketball. It's almost at that point now.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
So would the NFL team pay all expenses to the university for a high potential player (5*) to attend the college? I am sure there would be who is in charge issues, playing time, starts, injury management, etc. What they need is a real minor league for football but as some already said, they are getting that free now. Don't see either model happening for now. I could foresee universities having teams that are really employees but aren't necessarily students. Hired to play football or basketball. It's almost at that point now.
Your head went where mine went (I think) when I replied to @Vespidae. I don’t think the NFL directly can do such a thing on merit / potential. That gets slippery and has the NFL in the business of each athletic dept. I could see the league having a set wage for players OR having sort of a salary cap system that the schools then allocate. The latter is what I envisioned. The NFL puts together the league, negotiates the media deal and pays out to the schools that form the league. All of the schools get the same revenue (maybe there is bonus structure), and of that revenue, X goes to the program for facilities, expenses, coaches (maybe coaches capped too?) and Y is to be used for player salaries. Leave it to the individual school to allocate that salary “cap.”
There seems to be a lot to overcome in all of these scenarios, but I’m seeing things I never thought I’d see in college football so who knows?!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps draft is not the right word. If I wanted to go NROTC, I list 3 schools, apply, get accepted .... pick one. Then ... the NFL (or NewCo), controls the rules for transfer. For example, as I recall, you can't screw around in ROTC. If you fail to graduate, you have to repay your tuition and go to work as a swabby.

I think the NFL could bring a lot of the structure that the NCAA simply refuses to do. And NCAA presidents don't want to do it either. They just want the mailbox money.
Why would the NFL have a lick of interest in messing with a free system that gives them cheap labor for 4 years in most cases. Look at any NFL roster and you will see most of the 53 man rosters are made up of players on rookie contracts that are very low cost for the NFL team. As long a college football produces players capable of playing in the NFL the League will be completely hands off and rightfully so.