NIL, Transfers, and Stratospheric Salaries. What Is the Future of GT Football and College Football in General?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
It’s happened before—people in the 30’s and 50’s and other eras talked about a mismatch between the goal of the academic arm of the school and the athletic departments. The Washington Post says it again—we’re trying to support pro sports leagues in our colleges and universities, and it’s not compatible:

When you really think about it, intercollegiate athletics with a goal of anything other than being a fun activity for students to participate in is kind of stupid. Higher level learning institutions lowering their own standards to bring in students who’s sole purpose of being on campus is winning athletic events makes zero sense.

I can’t believe the system has lasted as long as it already has. Especially with the money that’s been thrown around it the last 40 years or so, and in particularly the last 5-10. Billions of dollars changing hands in what boils down to a chest thumping match between rich alums of various universities.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
When you really think about it, intercollegiate athletics with a goal of anything other than being a fun activity for students to participate in is kind of stupid. Higher level learning institutions lowering their own standards to bring in students who’s sole purpose of being on campus is winning athletic events makes zero sense.

I can’t believe the system has lasted as long as it already has. Especially with the money that’s been thrown around it the last 40 years or so, and in particularly the last 5-10. Billions of dollars changing hands in what boils down to a chest thumping match between rich alums of various universities.
It makes no sense until you recognize that it gives the school name recognition and prestige. There are several kids up here in the Chicagoland area, who are bright kids with great grades and scores, talking about uga. Why? Because they have won, and that matters to kids. Same for Alabama. It draws kids to their school that would otherwise never consider them.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I think you could argue that it isn't pay for performance, it's pay for image and the image is valuable if it is present. It's simple enough ... let's say you have an athlete you want to support via NIL.

Offer a base amount, say $200,000.
Eight games, at $100,000 a game. Put in escalators and de-escalators. "For every game, Recipient will dress and take the field if medically cleared to do so. If Recipient does not play, no game NIL funds will be provided. For every game where the Recipient does play, the NIL fee of $100,000 will be paid based on the total minutes played in the game and as outlined in Appendix A. Thirty percent of the total NIL payout will be paid after the end of the season. Failure to play in any post-season game will result in forfeiture of the NIL post-season money."

Something like that.
That is the definition of pay for play regardless of what you want to call it!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
That is the definition of pay for play regardless of what you want to call it!
Not necessarily. One could be dressed and cleared to play but not go into the game at all. No breach.

But let's face it, in the new world of sports, athletes are being paid, regardless. I think it's Lebron's son who is making $7M a year in COLLEGE? Doesn't want to turn pro and take a pay cut.

Bronny James NIL Deal

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Not necessarily. One could be dressed and cleared to play but not go into the game at all. No breach.

But let's face it, in the new world of sports, athletes are being paid, regardless. I think it's Lebron's son who is making $7M a year in COLLEGE? Doesn't want to turn pro and take a pay cut.

Bronny James NIL Deal
When you require a player to dress for a game to be paid it's pay for play. NIL money has basically only one rule - it can't be pay to play!

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
When you require a player to dress for a game to be paid it's pay for play. NIL money has basically only one rule - it can't be pay to play!
But there is no entity to enforce it. That’s been the issue with college athletics for 100 years. The NCAA has walked away as the rule enforcer. Which is great because they sucked at it. They destroy SMU, take a title away from GT, put us on probation all while the blue bloods bought Natty after Natty. The entire sport has been pay to play for decades so why are fans who have been fine with it for decades now upset? It’s just absolutely comical. And I can’t understand how one GT fan isn’t thrilled with what is happening. Every one of our southern rivals who took the pay to play path decades ago while we did not are now having the field leveled and y’all are mad about it. It simply doesn’t make sense. UGA, Bama, Ole Miss, Auburn, FSU have all been pay to play for decades while they beat our head in and relegated us to a mid pack ACC team and yet now that we can also can utilize pay for play many of you GT fans are upset about it.

Put it this way - there should be no rules at all because any rule will only be enforced against certain classes of teams and we are in that class that will be punished. Can anyone name any blue blood in the past decade who has been substantially punished for any violation? Cam Newton did everything but post a video of him cashing the check yet the trophy is still displayed at Auburn. Lane Kiffen has broken every rule regarding recruiting current players under NIL yet the NCAA won’t even enter the state. UGA has dead people around campus yet the NCAA only shows up to pick up their Masters tickets.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Well guess what … it is.
So the kid gets the money when he doesn't play in a playoff game. If not he sues the company/LLC for breach of contract as the law says it can't be pay for play. Kid, actually lawyers, win. Company actually decides to settle and pays the kid what they promised. They don't want the bad publicity.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

Sounds like a good deal for us if GA gets on board.

This is what I’ve been saying. GT fans should look forward to this new system because we are situated fairly well in a business mecca area along with a population base. Sure, UGA owns it now but if freaking Missouri can figure a way to entice 5 stars under this system then so can GT. I can see as we go into NFL lite mode that the cow colleges located in BFE could be left behind and population centers become more of a draw.

The old model was so skewed by the NCAA creating juggernauts by lax enforcement that any system is better for GT than the old model.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
So the kid gets the money when he doesn't play in a playoff game. If not he sues the company/LLC for breach of contract as the law says it can't be pay for play. Kid, actually lawyers, win. Company actually decides to settle and pays the kid what they promised. They don't want the bad publicity.
Neither the company nor the student control who plays.

Semantics. Athletes are being paid, they are being paid a lot, and they will change schools to get paid more. Call it what you want.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Neither the company nor the student control who plays.

Semantics. Athletes are being paid, they are being paid a lot, and they will change schools to get paid more. Call it what you want.
Agree. Saying they won’t get paid if they chose not to play in a Bowl or Playoff Game is BS. That’s what I have responded to.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree. Saying they won’t get paid if they chose not to play in a Bowl or Playoff Game is BS. That’s what I have responded to.
I know it’s not “pay for play”, but I would be surprised if there aren’t some type of “pay sliders” based on the kid’s marketing visibility. This isn’t cash in a bag. NIL deals are contracts written by savvy lawyers. If a company is providing the $100k to $1M to use the kid’s Name, Image and Likeness, that company has an expectation that the kid is playing in the high visibility games

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I know it’s not “pay for play”, but I would be surprised if there aren’t some type of “pay sliders” based on the kid’s marketing visibility. This isn’t cash in a bag. NIL deals are contracts written by savvy lawyers. If a company is providing the $100k to $1M to use the kid’s Name, Image and Likeness, that company has an expectation that the kid is playing in the high visibility games
And if the kid doesn't play in any of those games what do you think occurs?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If a rule is broken in the forest and there’s no one to enforce it…does it make a violation?
The only way to have any sort of enforcement is to pass laws that can legally subpoena emails and texts. That is how they got the AAU in payoffs to steer players to certain schools. The NCAA has no real enforcement now. It is up to the presidents of the institutions to abide by their self imposed rules. Yeah -- like that's going to happen.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The only way to have any sort of enforcement is to pass laws that can legally subpoena emails and texts. That is how they got the AAU in payoffs to steer players to certain schools. The NCAA has no real enforcement now. It is up to the presidents of the institutions to abide by their self imposed rules. Yeah -- like that's going to happen.
And the minute they do that we go back to having runners and burner phones. Just don’t have any rules. That is better than uneven, or worse, targeted enforcement. We just spent 60 years of that and I’m glad that era is over. Just drop all rules. If a human is enrolled in your school he should be eligible and whatever it took to sign him is no one’s business. Chris Weinke won a Natty as a 28 year old and Malcolm Mitchell was illiterate. Joe Mixon beat a girl on video. Cam was bought. Bush’s momma got a house.

We’ve seen everything already so having no rules will be exactly what we already are use to. The only difference is now everyone can take part without worry of the death penalty and crippling probation.