NIL, Transfers, and Stratospheric Salaries. What Is the Future of GT Football and College Football in General?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
There are some other bills proposed by other authors. College football is very popular in West Virginia and in Alabama, and Manchin and Tuberville represent those states. I’m sure both of them have been asked by constituents to fix this awful NIL problem, and I’m sure this bill is popular in those two states. One proposed from Ohio or New Jersey is going to look different.

I’m more surprised that there aren’t even more competing bills—with NIL, you have a problem that can be addressed by legislation and no tax increase—that’s a winner for most congresspeople running for reelection.

========

In other news: https://journalnow.com/sports/colle...cle_c07906f0-2c99-11ee-bd54-9b753db86940.html.

Clawson says that his players have been offered money to go elsewhere, and said that some programs are “serial offenders”. Maybe some players at other schools contact their old teammates, but it’s clear in this article that active recruitment is going on in violation of NCAA rules. We can probably find other quotes and stories like that.
If some of the CFB rules become federal law, then enforcement becomes somewhat easier with subpoena power of internet records, texts, and even possible wiretapping. The NCAA has no such power. They must rely on member compliance overseen by the college presidents.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I have no problem with the way NIL was intended to be. Bryce Young Jersey sells and he gets a percentage. But how has it turned into #1 kid in the country gets 800k without the school ever selling his name image or likeness?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
D
I have no problem with the way NIL was intended to be. Bryce Young Jersey sells and he gets a percentage. But how has it turned into #1 kid in the country gets 800k without the school ever selling his name image or likeness?
Dave Clawson has said several of his players were offered some pretty large sums to transfer. None were ACC . It must be a big problem and no one reigning it in so far. It's flat out "pay to play."
The teams doing it need to be reported publicly and coaches banned. I think it was Dilfer at UAB that said that. Transfers having to sit a year would probably slow a lot of it down.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
D
Dave Clawson has said several of his players were offered some pretty large sums to transfer. None were ACC . It must be a big problem and no one reigning it in so far. It's flat out "pay to play."
The teams doing it need to be reported publicly and coaches banned. I think it was Dilfer at UAB that said that. Transfers having to sit a year would probably slow a lot of it down.
I've said before that the NCAA eliminating this rule is a head-scratcher. The beauty of the sit-out rule is that it's easily enforceable (one of the few rules that are, unlike tampering).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Pros have salary limits and a draft based on last years w/l record.

Money is to fundible.

The top teams must have a reduction in eligible players.

We must stop the same 10 teams from dominating so that the next 40 have a shot. Easy to measure and enforce.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
CFB has already been corrupted & destroyed. There has to be an intervention or it will continue to be 3-4 programs with a chance to win it all. There’s a reason for salary caps and draft orders.

Would you rather have the “corrupt” government come in and try to help or stay with the status quo of corrupt programs buying their way into championships.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
CFB has already been corrupted & destroyed. There has to be an intervention or it will continue to be 3-4 programs with a chance to win it all. There’s a reason for salary caps and draft orders.

Would you rather have the “corrupt” government come in and try to help or stay with the status quo of corrupt programs buying their way into championships.
The “Chaos is better” crowd won’t give it up.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Reminder: kids were already getting paid .. scholarship, meals, extra treatment et al
Valid point.

However, it’s not either or. If a sports program is making a big profit by marketing a star player’s athletic skills, and the player is essentially just getting lunch money by comparison, then something isn’t equitable. Also, squashing a player’s ability to make money off of his own name was kind of a glaring inequity.

The real point is that before this current mess there was a better concealed mess going on under the table. Call me naive but I think most colleges played by the rules. But there were a handful of teams in every region of the country that gamed the system. So, yeah, there were players getting paid, with some working the angles better than others.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

The only reason only 3-4 teams have a chance to win it all is because we do not have a real playoff. We have a system where a committee selects the 4 teams. And none of us see the graft behind the scenes with the committee members. We went from 0 teams with the media picking the Natty to a computer picking 2 teams, now we have a committee picking 4 teams with talk of expansion already happening. Let‘s get to 20 plus teams with on campus games and then you’ll see the Boise’s and 2014 GT’s pull some big time upsets. Then you’ll have a legit sport. As long as everyone is happy with the status quo then the factories will continue to control the playoffs. The fans should have demanded a bigger playoff system years ago but the fans bought the garbage the powers fed them about ”too many games” blah blah blah all while every other college level had real playoffs. The fans deserve what they helped creat by being dumb.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The only reason only 3-4 teams have a chance to win it all is because we do not have a real playoff. We have a system where a committee selects the 4 teams. And none of us see the graft behind the scenes with the committee members. We went from 0 teams with the media picking the Natty to a computer picking 2 teams, now we have a committee picking 4 teams with talk of expansion already happening. Let‘s get to 20 plus teams with on campus games and then you’ll see the Boise’s and 2014 GT’s pull some big time upsets. Then you’ll have a legit sport. As long as everyone is happy with the status quo then the factories will continue to control the playoffs. The fans should have demanded a bigger playoff system years ago but the fans bought the garbage the powers fed them about ”too many games” blah blah blah all while every other college level had real playoffs. The fans deserve what they helped creat by being dumb.

Are you honestly saying that the committee members are being bribed? When, specifically, has a team that could have won the NC been left out? If you are going to spout libel and slander, you might as well give details?

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
This is funny on many levels. For the most part during the 4-team playoff tenure, there has been a pretty clear top two teams and those teams have won the national championship two-thirds of the time – it’s not due to graft from committee members. Twice has a #4 seed won and that was a 12-1 OSU and an 11-1 Alabama - not exactly Cinderella teams.

I like the 12 team playoff because it adds more games, but only on paper does it add more opportunity for National Championships. Don’t kid yourself, a #11 or #12 seed is going to get boat-raced by the top teams.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
The impact of a bigger playoff wouldn’t be the #12 team winning it all, but just the chances for more upsets helping out various top-8 teams.

Like how the 4 seed almost beat the 1 seed last year, and the 3 seed knocked out the 2.

And if you say “well they shouldn’t have been seeded like that” that’s kinda the whole point! ;) 2 vs 4 matters less now than it did in the BCS era, and in a bigger playoff there will be 5/6/7 teams with shots to ruin a 1 or 2 seed’s run. And then the Cinderella high seed might have a draw that avoids the top two teams entirely.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
The impact of a bigger playoff wouldn’t be the #12 team winning it all, but just the chances for more upsets helping out various top-8 teams.

Like how the 4 seed almost beat the 1 seed last year, and the 3 seed knocked out the 2.

And if you say “well they shouldn’t have been seeded like that” that’s kinda the whole point! ;) 2 vs 4 matters less now than it did in the BCS era, and in a bigger playoff there will be 5/6/7 teams with shots to ruin a 1 or 2 seed’s run. And then the Cinderella high seed might have a draw that avoids the top two teams entirely.
I know anything can happen and that’s why you play the games, but let’s be honest, the top 2 teams (and sometimes the top 3 or 4 teams) are clearly superior than the teams ranked 5 through 12.

In the 12 team playoff the top 4 teams get a bye. The second round is 1 vs 8/9 winner, 2 vs 7/10 winner, 3 v 6/11 winner and 4 v 5/12 winner. I simply never see a scenario where a 1 or 2 is going to lose to 7,8,9,or 10. I can see an 11 or 12 upsetting a 5 or 6, but I don’t see that same 11 or 12 then upsetting a 3 or 4. If that happened, the 1 v 12 game and 2 v 11 games would be horrible.