NIL, Transfers, and Stratospheric Salaries. What Is the Future of GT Football and College Football in General?

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
FWIW, people running the old BCS formula have gotten the same 4 teams as the playoff committee every year. If your goal is to figure out the best team in a given year, the 4 team playoff is probably where it needs to stop. But the goal is to make money for ESPN, so it will keep expanding.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
FWIW, people running the old BCS formula have gotten the same 4 teams as the playoff committee every year. If your goal is to figure out the best team in a given year, the 4 team playoff is probably where it needs to stop. But the goal is to make money for ESPN, so it will keep expanding.
yep. I will watch most, if not all, of the games. There was a time when College Bowl games were awesome. Unfortunately, more and more were added saturating the market. Now the star players don't participate. Having a 12 team playoff will provide much more meaningful content to the end of the college season.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
So then why does every other level of football or every sport have more than 4 teams in their playoff system? Why doesn’t every sport at every level just play a regular season and then a computer pick the champ?

The only reason D1 football is the only entity that doesn’t have a real playoff is because the corrupt bowl system has brainwashed the masses for the past 100 years which is why we have fans defending a corrupt system even though no other level or no other sport does it this way. I gotta hand it to the bowl guys of yesteryear. They were genius’s at padding their own rear end.

The assumption that teams ranked in the top 20 can’t upset a top 4 team is just not reality. Little ole Boise St. and little ole GT say hi. As does schools like TCU and many other schools who up have magical years on occasion. Right now there is a team out there not in any top 20 preseason rankings who will finish in the top 10. But because they aren’t ranked early they’ll never be considered for a Final Four spot. You see what they did to us in 1990 didn’t you? We could have gone 30-0-1 and they still wouldn’t have ranked us #1.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Our 1990 schedule sucked, and Colorado isn't exactly a traditional power.

TCU got in the playoff as-is. And they got smacked in the title game.

If you're trying to tell me a 3-loss Clemson or FSU team from last year could have gotten hot for 3 weeks and won a playoff title, I'd believe you. If you're going to use that to tell me they were the absolute best teams of the 2022 season I'm gonna tell you to put down the pipe.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
So then why does every other level of football or every sport have more than 4 teams in their playoff system? Why doesn’t every sport at every level just play a regular season and then a computer pick the champ?

The only reason D1 football is the only entity that doesn’t have a real playoff is because the corrupt bowl system has brainwashed the masses for the past 100 years which is why we have fans defending a corrupt system even though no other level or no other sport does it this way. I gotta hand it to the bowl guys of yesteryear. They were genius’s at padding their own rear end.

The assumption that teams ranked in the top 20 can’t upset a top 4 team is just not reality. Little ole Boise St. and little ole GT say hi. As does schools like TCU and many other schools who up have magical years on occasion. Right now there is a team out there not in any top 20 preseason rankings who will finish in the top 10. But because they aren’t ranked early they’ll never be considered for a Final Four spot. You see what they did to us in 1990 didn’t you? We could have gone 30-0-1 and they still wouldn’t have ranked us #1.
You know the playoff is going to 12 teams next year (2024 season), right? That will address this issue for a team finishing in the top 10.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

It's not brainwashing - it's as always money! The Bowls and their Corporate sponsors provided lots of content for ESPN to have live football on for nearly a full month. Money is the reason. Now the money from an expanded Playoff System is to the point that it will become reality.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You know the playoff is going to 12 teams next year (2024 season), right? That will address this issue for a team finishing in the top 10.
I do. But 12 isn’t nearly enough because we know the 12 will consist of the media darlings who start the season ranked high. The next iteration of 24 or 32 will actually set it straight.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Our 1990 schedule sucked, and Colorado isn't exactly a traditional power.

TCU got in the playoff as-is. And they got smacked in the title game.

If you're trying to tell me a 3-loss Clemson or FSU team from last year could have gotten hot for 3 weeks and won a playoff title, I'd believe you. If you're going to use that to tell me they were the absolute best teams of the 2022 season I'm gonna tell you to put down the pipe.
No sport playoff system has ever been about who is the best team for the entire season. It’s always about who gives their best performance when the chips are down. That’s where legends are made. Legends aren’t made in regular seasons. Why play the Masters? There is a player ranking so just give the top guy the green jacket. Why did the Patriots have to play the Giants when they were undefeated? Everyone knew who the best team was? Why should the Braves have to endure a playoff system this year when they have the best record? Why did Tyson ever face that loser Buster Douglas?

All I’m saying is that this sport is losing luster for many not because of competition but because of “hope” which is all sports fans want a glimmer of. Right now, there are only about 7 teams with hope for a title in 2023. That means every of the other fanbases have no hope and by the end of September most of them will find other ways to spend their time and money.

A true playoff like we see in hoops will keep fans of teams engaged all season. And then when the brackets come out the excitement will be off the charts just like we see every year in hoops. The bowl system did nothing but created fake games to rip money from fans pockets. But in the end who really cared if it didn’t lead to something real.

As GT fans wouldn’t it be nice to have HOPE in the idea that maybe in 2 years we could go 9-3 and be in a playoff? Right now, we know we aren’t sniffing anything for the foreseeable future since this 12 team thing will consist of the usual teams with the occasional outlier.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t think a 9-3 ACC team is going to sniff the playoff. We’d have made it 09 and 14 though.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think a 9-3 ACC team is going to sniff the playoff. We’d have made it 09 and 14 though.
Once it’s expanded again you’ll have plenty of 9-3 teams in it. Look at hoops. You have teams close to .500 who get in. And their fanbases love it.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
FCS playoff is 24 teams. That is likely the upper limit for a CFP.
Speculating if FBS would go to a 25-team playoff, which would align with the number of teams in the polls. In any case, there are plenty of teams that end up ranked at the end of the season despite having 4 losses. USC east had 5 losses and remained ranked, but "SEC" of course. Pitt has 4 losses and made the rankings. Not saying this would perfectly correlate with getting into a 24/25-team playoff, but it wouldn't be a surprise based on historical rankings.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
More teams create longer schedules for the selected teams. 8 teams takes 3 weeks and can fit into bowls more easily. Every extra game runs the risk of a key player getting hurt. The goal was to get the best teams to decide a national championship on the field. Now it appears to be to make more TV money.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
FCS playoff is 24 teams. That is likely the upper limit for a CFP.

Maybe. FCS limits the season to 11 games, does not play a conference championship game, so with it's 5 week playoff format the most they can play is 16 games. Unless FBS is willing to drastically redo their regular season and conference championships, a 12 team playoff means a team could feasibly play 17 games in winning a championship. Not sure that there's going to be a lot of buy in to get to 24 anytime soon. Maybe 16 with no byes...

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Maybe. FCS limits the season to 11 games, does not play a conference championship game, so with it's 5 week playoff format the most they can play is 16 games. Unless FBS is willing to drastically redo their regular season and conference championships, a 12 team playoff means a team could feasibly play 17 games in winning a championship. Not sure that there's going to be a lot of buy in to get to 24 anytime soon. Maybe 16 with no byes...
I think the CFP is gradually "testing the waters" to see how well things work with the expanded playoffs, so it's still too early to tell where things are headed. I think it's feasible, with the increased revenue potential of expanded playoffs, to see some or all FBS conferences move back to an 11-game regular season. After all, it wasn't that long ago when the 11-game season was normal.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Y’all are assuming that someone cares about the number of games, etc. The secret is out. No one cares as long as the eyeballs are there to make money. As a sports fan I love it. Since the facade of amateurism has finally ended no cares if they play more games or are subject to injury. And injuries are what will help the upsets happen.

And the goal has NEVER been to determine the best team on the field. Don’t buy the garbage the SEC and others put out to justify their secret playoff club so far. The goal has ALWAYS been to protect the factories from the little guys. The factories have been scared to death of a real playoff because while they would win a majority of the games they would also be beaten on occasion. That’s why they schedule nothing but cupcakes for their OOC games because none of them want a Bama-Louisiana Monroe or Michigan- Appy State outcome on national TV in January. None of them wanted play little old GT after what we did to Miss State on national TV.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Texas A&M has shut down its in-house NIL after receiving letter from IRS stating it would likely cost them their tax-exempt status.

A&M tried to set up an in-house NIL (within the University/AA) and NCAA said they couldn't do that - which they ignored and then had the governor and legislature create a bill that would make it illegal for NCAA to punish schools in TX for Collectives. But the IRS was a different matter. The threat of losing tax-exempt status and what that would mean for fundraising was too much.