Night Game Atmosphere

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Ya know how people talk about how awesome the night game atmosphere is at the Dodd in Atlanta?

Yeah...

1665885581624.png

I suspect that 100,000+ at Neyland have a different definition of "awesome".

Vols 52
Bama 49

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The difference is that the night games at Grant Field are naturally spectacular. I remember seeing a Washington game where they showed the surroundings of Husky Stadium. The Rockies in the end zone, boats pulling in to see the games; tailgating on boats is the rage there. When you look at the skyline of Atlanta from Grant Field is as dramatic Much more so, I would say, then fireworks. But nobody ever said that UT fans had, you know, taste.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
The difference is that the night games at Grant Field are naturally spectacular. I remember seeing a Washington game where they showed the surroundings of Husky Stadium. The Rockies in the end zone, boats pulling in to see the games; tailgating on boats is the rage there. When you look at the skyline of Atlanta from Grant Field is as dramatic Much more so, I would say, then fireworks. But nobody ever said that UT fans had, you know, taste.
I agree with you.

To expand upon a previous post in another thread, back in the day it was possible to slip under the gates of the West Stands gates and climb up to the upper deck for an amazing view of the city late at night.

The young ladies who accompanied me were duly impressed. ;)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I watched the last quarter of that game. It is hard to believe that Bama had reeled off 15 straight in that series. Who would have ever thought that possible back when we were kids? That is NOT a rivalry. Bama - UT used to be Michigan- OSU or Texas-OU in terms of regional big games.

Another thing that we would not have believed either - that anyone would score 52 points on Bama. In a single game. That used to be 5 or 6 games worth of points against them "back in the day."

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I've been to several games at Neyland in their 98 NC season and then more recently when they were struggling - it was two different worlds. When the fans are engaged (like last night and in the late 90s), that stadium is like nothing I've seen before. So many people, so much energy, it's amazing. In 2017 and 2018, it was massive ghost town that was awkwardly empty and quiet.

But when the fans get going in Neyland, it is such a cool place. I've never been to Ohio State or Michigan or LSU, but I imagine that any of the mega stadiums can get turned up pretty loud. I can personally vouch for the atmosphere at Neyland being absolutely intoxicating and raucous.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Another take-away from that game: with one loss, Bama's season is "in doubt" - if not effectively over. They could miss the CFP, and they might not even make it to the SEC championship game. Meanwhile, at 3-3, Tech has a LOT to play for from here on out.

Sucks to be Jahmyr Gibbs, doesn't it? Dude coulda been a Tech legend...celebrated at homecoming for the next 50 years. Instead, he's just another cog in the Bama machine that no one outside of Dalton, GA will remember after next season.

Flame away. 😁

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I watched the last quarter of that game. It is hard to believe that Bama had reeled off 15 straight in that series. Who would have ever thought that possible back when we were kids? That is NOT a rivalry. Bama - UT used to be Michigan- OSU or Texas-OU in terms of regional big games.

Another thing that we would not have believed either - that anyone would score 52 points on Bama. In a single game. That used to be 5 or 6 games worth of points against them "back in the day."
The refs don't call holding anymore or come back blocks or chop blocks, etc, etc, etc.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Saban's D line "back in the day" was unblockable. He does not have that currently - UT's QB had plenty of time to throw all night. If Bama had Clem Son's D line, no way would UT beat them. But "if ifs and buts were candy and nuts". :)

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Another take-away from that game: with one loss, Bama's season is "in doubt" - if not effectively over. They could miss the CFP, and they might not even make it to the SEC championship game. Meanwhile, at 3-3, Tech has a LOT to play for from here on out.

Sucks to be Jahmyr Gibbs, doesn't it? Dude coulda been a Tech legend...celebrated at homecoming for the next 50 years. Instead, he's just another cog in the Bama machine that no one outside of Dalton, GA will remember after next season.

Flame away. 😁
Gotta feel for him. He will be a millionaire in 7 months but his college legacy could have been so much more.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Exactly. His three years in the NFL were a given either way.

But he could have had BOTH $$$ AND immortality.

OTOH, he had a shot at winninng the Heisman (or believed he did anyways) which truly is national college FB immortality. If he stays here, we would talk about him like we do Jerry Mays or Dorsel Levens or Robert Lavette. One of our all time greats but certainly not a CJ or Joe Hamilton or Lucious Sanford status (considered to be the best ever at their position) imo. And not remembered by fans at other schools like the Heisman guys are. Maybe it would have been different here for him with better talent and coaching. We will never know.

I watched the game. Oddly enough, I never felt any more less emotional attachment or energy with him that I did with any other player on either squad. He was just one of the pawns on the chessboard meaning that the game transcends the players (imo).

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
OTOH, he had a shot at winninng the Heisman (or believed he did anyways) which truly is national college FB immortality. If he stays here, we would talk about him like we do Jerry Mays or Dorsel Levens or Robert Lavette. One of our all time greats but certainly not a CJ or Joe Hamilton or Lucious Sanford status (considered to be the best ever at their position) imo. And not remembered by fans at other schools like the Heisman guys are. Maybe it would have been different here for him with better talent and coaching. We will never know.

I watched the game. Oddly enough, I never felt any more less emotional attachment or energy with him that I did with any other player on either squad. He was just one of the pawns on the chessboard meaning that the game transcends the players (imo).
You have a good point. I hadn't considered the Heisman as a possibility. Long odds for this season, apparently....but I'm not sure when that was written.

So, yeah...he's got that going for him.