Nickel vs. 4-2-5 D

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was under the impression jemea was the FLEX db last year instead of watts... I remember nealy watts Thomas young white noble smith as our back 7 in those scenarios. Am I misremembering?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was under the impression jemea was the FLEX db last year instead of watts... I remember nealy watts Thomas young white noble smith as our back 7 in those scenarios. Am I misremembering?

Roof did a lot of things in terms of moving personnel around. You'd have to chart it, but Watts played in the slot as a hybrid DB/LB, Attaochou we all know played DE/ OLB (as did Marcordes), Thomas was CB/S/and brought in the box as a de facto LB at times.

That's the thing with todays defenses...you can say we play in a base 4-3 or 4-2-5, but in reality, it all changes after the snap depending on what the offense does and D personnel on the field. That's why it's so important to have flexible guys on the field that can move out/in depending on what the offense is doing.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Roof did a lot of things in terms of moving personnel around. You'd have to chart it, but Watts played in the slot as a hybrid DB/LB, Attaochou we all know played DE/ OLB (as did Marcordes), Thomas was CB/S/and brought in the box as a de facto LB at times.

That's the thing with todays defenses...you can say we play in a base 4-3 or 4-2-5, but in reality, it all changes after the snap depending on what the offense does and D personnel on the field. That's why it's so important to have flexible guys on the field that can move out/in depending on what the offense is doing.
This

pckl300

Georgia Tech Fan
Could DJ White play the hybrid role? I remember being impressed with his run support during the Georgia game. He tackled Gurley by himself in the backfield. That way, you have a true 3rd CB who can run step for step with receivers.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Like the defense myself........remember when Ole Erk ran the wide tackle six and did well and he has defensive ends playing the flats on plays away from them.Like idea of twin safetys playing cover 2 and you still have six guys up front ...of course if the middle lb cant move you are in trouble on runs on a sweep but this is a good prevent defense with some aggressive moves to it.hope we run it well.Game has changed greatly since I played and coached.Most teams ran Okie fifty four or a six even or odd and zone coverage was the call.We played a rotation defense from fifty and never called it a cover...we just went to our prescribed places and tackled or tried to cover folks..I have seen a 3-5 defense lately but all are knockoffs from a odd defense or even one...just play good and tackle well and we will be okay.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Unless he is flexed, it seems we should be jamming the TE at the LOS most of the time. For some reason this seems to be a lost art in modern defenses, which is why I think you have seen such a resurgence in this position over the last few years.

Wish we would figure out a way to get a TE in our offense..a good TE causes a lot of problems.

JMHO.
Man are you spot on........on any passing down or even runnig play we always told our DE to make sure you jam the TE so he cant get off the line....nowdays the TE has nobody touching him until he is in the passing zones..Jam him up and you take away the short pass and also give your interior linebackers help......

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
From Ken the starters are
CB. DJ White, Lynn Griffin, & Milton
Safety. Golden & I Johnson

Lynn and Milton can flex.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
the 4-2-5 needs a SUPERIOR run/pass combo guy to really work.I'm not sure who we have now that is a sure enough tackler to be good.(btw- it wasn't Watts).There is a reason our Def wasn't very good for the last yrs and not having "natural" play-makers (run and pass)on DEf was one.