NFL: Evaluating great receivers with bad QBs

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm hoping the scouts can see special things in Waller & Smelter. WR workouts for the NFL Combine start this morning at 9am on the NFL Network.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm hoping the scouts can see special things in Waller & Smelter. WR workouts for the NFL Combine start this morning at 9am on the NFL Network.

There's subtle hints that teams don't want to talk about Smelter as to not generate interest in him. Draft analyst keep talking about how scouts are raving about what they see on film: A guy with not a lot of football experience, but off the charts athletic ability, that flashes an intriguing skillset that NFL teams covet. They throw in the obligatory "comes from an offense that doesn't have a sophisticated route tree talk", but lots more talk about how he has a natural feel for the WR position citing how he understands leverage off coverage, and his ability to find an open spot and work his way back to the QB when a play breaks down (which we've see MANY times).

Really wish he could have tested at the combine. Running in the 4.4's would have really boosted his stock.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would be surprised if he was under 4.5. Doesn't matter though. NOBODY could cover him without help, not a single guy. That doesn't happen by accident. DeAndre will score very high on all NFL metrics except field stretching speed. I would go so far as to say that their wouldn't be a single team in the league who wouldn't be improved with him on their roster. As long as he recovers as planned after surgery everything will fall into place for him. As far as I am concerned, he comes with a "can't miss" label.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Smelter may not get drafted. He probably won't be able to work out at the combine or pro day.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Smelter may not get drafted. He probably won't be able to work out at the combine or pro day.

that is a real shame for Deandre, especially since he was not injured while making a football play. He was twisted down unnecessarily after the play was over. I hate to see any player injured but especially by cheap shots.