Next year's Starting offense

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
With the season were it is right now I could not help thinking ahead to next season and our projected starting offense I might need some help Bryan OL Thomas QB Searcy AB Marshall BB Juene WR Stewart WR These are the only true starters I can think of; My big concern is the Offensive line, going back and looking at our 2015 recruits and roster I am concerned with our size up front.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I think your in the same boat as a lot of us, I want to see us working these young guys getting them ready and making sure they are all healthy and academically eligible. I hope we can snag some good recruits out of high school that can actually red shirt and have some time to learn. If we get all our younger guys play time this year we can be ahead of the curve. I hope we do that and can have a clear picture of what next years lineup looks like.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
With the season were it is right now I could not help thinking ahead to next season and our projected starting offense I might need some help Bryan OL Thomas QB Searcy AB Marshall BB Juene WR Stewart WR These are the only true starters I can think of; My big concern is the Offensive line, going back and looking at our 2015 recruits and roster I am concerned with our size up front.

We lose Chamberlain and Joe (unless Errin gets a medical waiver for an additional year), both tackles, and guard Trey Braun from the OL. So, yeah, Will Bryan projects to start at one tackle, and former starter Chris Griffin will return at the other with Trey Klock stepping up in the guard spot.

Howell and Philpott will compete for starting WR spot. We'll have lots of options at A-Back.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
We lose Chamberlain and Joe (unless Errin gets a medical waiver for an additional year), both tackles, and guard Trey Braun from the OL. So, yeah, Will Bryan projects to start at one tackle, and former starter Chris Griffin will return at the other with Trey Klock stepping up in the guard spot.

Howell and Philpott will compete for starting WR spot. We'll have lots of options at A-Back.
Summers, Juene, and Stewart will be back as well.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Count me as one who thinks next year's OL is going to be special. CG was going to be a player this year, and WB and TK are athletic and hungry, IMO. I don't know about depth, but I like our projected first 5.

We will have more TALENT at all the offensive skill positions than we have ever had under CPJ. I will be the first to admit that I expected that talent to make up for the lack of experience and allow us to reload this year. I was wrong. I hope that this year's struggles will pay dividends next year as we get even more talent back off injury, and an injection of speed at WR and AB.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Our skill positions need reps. Its not stacked with rep guys. Thats an issue going into the year. Not until this year did i realize the total importance of a mature AB.

Searcy out
Snoddy gone
Cottrel out
Quaide out
Marshal nice reps
Willis ok reps
Lynch nice reps
Legget out
Mld nice reps
Mm getting more reps
So we have a few with some decent reps. But honestly not that many.....need to get injured back and reps.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
@33jacket Quaide getting reps in practice as is JJ Green, Cottrell, Benson, Leggett will all be repping hard come spring. I get your point but with a full spring and fall practice ahead of them I hope it they will be all at a level ready to go in September. It's not like they won't see it until summer camp.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
@33jacket Quaide getting reps in practice as is JJ Green, Cottrell, Benson, Leggett will all be repping hard come spring. I get your point but with a full spring and fall practice ahead of them I hope it they will be all at a level ready to go in September. It's not like they won't see it until summer camp.

Well. How is that working out for juene, lynch, marshall and willis? Not well. They all practiced etc for a year (except marshall). My point is its better than none like you say. But nothing like 1-2 years of game experience at that position.....i have come to realize in this offense as much as the qb that spot needs live action the most.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Well. How is that working out for juene, lynch, marshall and willis? Not well. They all practiced etc for a year (except marshall). My point is its better than none like you say. But nothing like 1-2 years of game experience at that position.....i have come to realize in this offense as much as the qb that spot needs live action the most.

Might is have something to with the relative talent difference? Size, speed, sheer ability? I'd Marshall's well ahead of the curve, JJ is a junior with collegiate time behind him, Cottrell and Benson are absolute burners besides PJ stating Cottrell would have been starting but for his injury.Quaide was working his way well into the rotation at B back prior to his injury. Juene is coming into his own, Lynch is growing into an A back not a WR that he was in HS and Ike is still feeling his way.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Might is have something to with the relative talent difference? Size, speed, sheer ability? I'd Marshall's well ahead of the curve, JJ is a junior with collegiate time behind him, Cottrell and Benson are absolute burners besides PJ stating Cottrell would have been starting but for his injury.Quaide was working his way well into the rotation at B back prior to his injury. Juene is coming into his own, Lynch is growing into an A back not a WR that he was in HS and Ike is still feeling his way.

I just think the ability to block a mature D1A LB or S coming at you full speed, the balls to do it, do it quick, and hit your assignment is hard to adjust to after a year from high school. And that the best ab here have not been the most talented but that they were all experienced. So for me its a maturity factor that only comes with time. Now. Can we have an occasional young guy burst onto the scene and do well. Sure like any other position. But i feel AB is closer to qb than wr or even bb in our offense so it takes time.

I guess my point is next year. The position will be really young with not alot of game time and i dont see it as a loaded position. I see it as potential but could feel some lumps next year too like this year. I see it being loaded 2 years out.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Different guys catch on at different rates. Injuries etc. affect things too. I've given up on trying to guess on them. Ive been wrong both ways too many times.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I just think the ability to block a mature D1A LB or S coming at you full speed, the balls to do it, do it quick, and hit your assignment is hard to adjust to after a year from high school. And that the best ab here have not been the most talented but that they were all experienced. So for me its a maturity factor that only comes with time. Now. Can we have an occasional young guy burst onto the scene and do well. Sure like any other position. But i feel AB is closer to qb than wr or even bb in our offense so it takes time.

There's a lot there I agree with. The main point I was making is that none of the players are now in awe of making the transition and will be very settled into there roles by next fall. Tech lost a boatload of high end speed with the injuries to Cottrell and Benson along with an experienced collegiate in Green. It won't hurt to have them on the field in the fall :D