Next year's defensive line

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My coping mechanism for this ongoing nightmare is to dream about next year. I can see the makings of a powerful offense, and the linebackers and secondary should be okay. But I can't muster even a hint of optimism about the defensive line. Gotsis is the only effective player, and he'll be gone. Gamble and Kallon are simply not tackles. They play too high and if it were fixable, it would have happened by now. Freeman, Simmons, and Rook-Chungong might be marginally better next year, but if any of them were going to be a real pass rush threat, we would be seeing glimpses of it by now.

Was Saint Armour a pass rushing terror in high school? Could he be an answer?

I trust Cerge-Henderson will be playing a lot next year and maybe he'll work out. What about the other DT we recruited last year? Has anyone heard how he is progressing?

What about this year's recruits? Are we in it with any big time rush ends or DTs?

Matt E

GT Athlete
This is my biggest concern also. The offense will be better, but I cannot for the life of me get positive vibes on the defense due to the DT and DE play we have coming back. The DEs play hard, but they are light in.the seat but yet lack explosiveness to speed rush. It's a bad combo.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Defensive line has been our problem for a long time. I do not seeing getting much better next year. Roof needs to fill the run gaps with the blitz and definitely take the house some on passing downs. I rather take the risk of getting burned with taking pressure than die a slow death.

gt365

Georgia Tech Fan
This is my biggest concern also. The offense will be better, but I cannot for the life of me get positive vibes on the defense due to the DT and DE play we have coming back. The DEs play hard, but they are light in.the seat but yet lack explosiveness to speed rush. It's a bad combo.
I think they need to move Freeman at OLB. Gary Brown at DL, Gamble at DE, Saint-Amour starting at DE, Jalen Johnson at Nickle/Safety. I think they playing guys in the wrong postion etc.......

Milwaukee

Banned
What a difference a decade makes.

Ends: Eric Henderson, Darrell Robertson, Michael Johnson, Adamm Oliver
Tackles: Darryl Richard, Joe Anoai, Vance Walker
Backers: Gerris Wilkinson, Gary Guyton, KaMichael Hall, Philip Wheeler
DBs: Jamal Lewis, Dawan Landry, Chris Reis, Reuben Houston, Kenny Scott, Dennis Davis

Man I miss that squad.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
What a difference a decade makes.

Ends: Eric Henderson, Darrell Robertson, Michael Johnson, Adamm Oliver
Tackles: Darryl Richard, Joe Anoai, Vance Walker
Backers: Gerris Wilkinson, Gary Guyton, KaMichael Hall, Philip Wheeler
DBs: Jamal Lewis, Dawan Landry, Chris Reis, Reuben Houston, Kenny Scott, Dennis Davis

Man I miss that squad.

The dc was pretty good too. He had good d even without that allstar 2006 team

floridajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
2007 wasn't exactly a world-beater defense even with Tenuta. In the football outsiders ranking, we had the #63 defense in the country in 2007. I don't know how much better Tenuta would have done versus Wommack in 2008 and 2009. Probably better than Wommack, but not as good as the class in 2003 to 2006.

It's just a lot more difficult to scheme around talent on defense.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
From what I saw of Glanton and Sellers walking past me on the sideline today they look like they are getting bigger. No idea how they are progressing in play but they are definitely bigger than their HS videos

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
I had 3rd row 50yd line sears behind the Tech bench and this is the first time I've looked at our players and seen real size. I truly believe the reason we lost this game and last week is we don't have any confidence. It wasn't necessarily a hanging of the head but just a lack of confidence. If our young men can keep their heads up we are going to be really good in the future. Even later this season. Plus the walking wounded on the sideline was just sad. We have something really special in MM and some of our other freshman. I hope they still have some confidence because the reason we are losing isn't talent, it is mental mistakes and a lack of confidence.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just some size numbers from article on sec size dt and de.
Dt 6'3" 290 & de 6'5" 250
We have had opposite
Dt 6'5" @ a thin 280 & de 6'3" 230.

Gotsis would be an awsome DE. Love his motor. Warrior.

WE HAVE SPEED but not size so se need to go high risk defense.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Just some size numbers from article on sec size dt and de.
Dt 6'3" 290 & de 6'5" 250
We have had opposite
Dt 6'5" @ a thin 280 & de 6'3" 230.

Gotsis would be an awsome DE. Love his motor. Warrior.

WE HAVE SPEED but not size so se need to go high risk defense.
I think Gotsis will end up being a de when he gets to the next level. His body is very similar to j.j.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
What has happend to D.Whitehead?
I thought he was the answer to our pass rush woes!!
He is on scholly(I think) yet hasn't set foot on the field that I recall.
Have I missed his coming out?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You know you have some problems when a DT is the only guy disrupting things. Good DT's do that some, but they usually pale in comparison to what pressure is happening off the edge. I haven't watched defense closely in a few weeks, but it doesn't appear that we have made strides at DE.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
What has happend to D.Whitehead?
I thought he was the answer to our pass rush woes!!
He is on scholly(I think) yet hasn't set foot on the field that I recall.
Have I missed his coming out?
Guess he was "over hyped" by many and not the panacea we hoped he'd be.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Watched the GT game yesterday, then later that night watched the LSU game. No comparison. Talent levels simply day and night. Our D line is, as another poster mentioned above, small but slow. I do NOT see speed on the field for us on defense. We simply do NOT have the Jimmys and Joes.

And size has not seemed to do much good for Jabari Hunt. Hate to mention any one guy, but he has really done nothing for us...well, that's not completely fair, he does usually occupy two blockers, but gets absolutely NO pass rush and hasn't been much of a run stopper. Our D line play has simply been terrible this year, and should get worse after Gotsis leaves.

The LB's aren't helping any either. We are either way too small, or way too slow. Or both. Again, simply don't have the talent. I am not sure how any D Coordinator could scheme around all this, although I personally would MUCH prefer to see an attacking defense all day long, even if the net results weren't better I would somehow feel like they were trying. What we are doing now seems like slow death by a thousand cuts.

We don't have the talent to compete consistently with Clemson and Georgia and FSU. I believe next week's game, like Clemson's will be over by halftime. At BEST, we will be in striking distance into the third quarter, like at Notre Dame. Fourth quarter won't be competitive. Sad, but we simply have not recruited well enough to be anything but a flash in the pan team as evidenced by the results on the field in 5 out of the last 6 seasons.

Won't change any either. I don't honestly blame the coaches, or the system at all! I do blame the Administration. Mismanagement has all but killed our once proud basketball program, and is well on the way to doing the same to a once proud football program.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Guess he was "over hyped" by many and not the panacea we hoped he'd be.
but, is he so bad he can't even contribute in game scenarios. I would assume he was good enough to make a rotation some how. Perhaps he was good enough for scout team D? I have faith in our coaches to field the most qualified bodies to fill spots and get the job done. I had wanted to see him on the field as the next attaouchu..it just didn't seem to happen.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In reality holding by the interior offensive line greatly negates DT Rush.

IMO
Our DT are taller types - which generally are stood up and ultimately the pile falls forward for an extra yard.

Our DE can't make a shorter arc on their speed rush and thus leave a larger hole (off tackle) for the lb to fill - angle on tackle results in extra yard. If lb fill or we add 3rd lb we can be short handed in passing. My biggest concern is the missed tackles by the de as they try to set the edge. Runner almost pulled of rooks arm

What we have is fast but light DL, but we call the defense as if they are bigger than they are. We throw away the speed advantage by not being much more aggressive style - shoot gaps, stunts, blitz .
( as an aside --Would love to have seen the true freshman 6'2" dt play more and slide gostis to strong side and then move freeman to lb. With this last year for Tyler we need some one that has some lead in there pants and is not short at lb.)

Everyone is giving 100% on play.