Next Season

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Just because TQM and TO struggles throwing the ball, doesn’t mean we don’t have a few that can. Don’t forget, Jordan Yates coming in looks like he can spin it too.

And where do we get OT's that are 6-6 320 and can pass block? We haven't been a destination for top WRs in quite a few years either. We lost that chance.

You can't judge a coach before year three, and frequently, not before year four. This year's recruits, which aren't Collins' recruits, will include R-Jrs in year four.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ went 9-4 his first year with Gailey's recruits who weren't necessarily suited to his system.

Not sure why the expectation is any lower for CGC. CGC will likely be inheriting an 8-5 team compared to CCG's 7-6 that PJ got.

Good coaches adjust to the personnel they have. Not making a bowl game would be a massive failure. Sorry, but after hearing all the crowing from some people the last few years, I'm not going to "accept mediocrity."
PJ inherited a top 20 recruiting class , GC won’t

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
You just don't have a good understanding of where our program is now compared to when Johnson was hired from a talent perspective. Sorry, but we knew once we hired Johnson the transition away from his offense was going to be more difficult than the transition into it. To say otherwise shows a severe lack of understanding about the game.

This is such BS, and you're just hedging your bets in case we go 6-6, 7-5 and people start wishing we had hired Monken or another option guy.

You're trying to convince us that CPJ teaching a bunch of pro-style offense recruits to run the flexbone was easier than lining up our current kids in the gun and teaching zone blocking? LOL

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
PJ inherited a top 20 recruiting class , GC won’t
That was one class. If you combine the 4 classes that came in prior to CPJ they averaged 46.5 in ranking. People like to pretend that CPJ had UGAs roster to work with. He didn't. Coaching a team of mostly average talent and pro style players to a 9-4 record, with a win over UGA in year one was an incredible coaching job.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
That was one class. If you combine the 4 classes that came in prior to CPJ they averaged 46.5 in ranking. People like to pretend that CPJ had UGAs roster to work with. He didn't. Coaching a team of mostly average talent and pro style players to a 9-4 record, with a win over UGA in year one was an incredible coaching job.

That one class gave us probably the best QB, BB, DLmen, and Safety we had in Johnson's tenure. He also inherited a tremendous DLine overall and probably his best WR of his tenure here.

Johnson did a great job of coaching that team, but the situation he inherited was far better than the one he is leaving for any coach that isn't an option coach.

But this year it was awful. Got it. (y)

Year 11 vs Year 1.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
This is such BS, and you're just hedging your bets in case we go 6-6, 7-5 and people start wishing we had hired Monken or another option guy.

You're trying to convince us that CPJ teaching a bunch of pro-style offense recruits to run the flexbone was easier than lining up our current kids in the gun and teaching zone blocking? LOL

Do you believe there is as much talent on this roster as the one in 08?

Try take your views of the coach and put them aside and let’s have a real discussion. I would go over the players on the 08 roster that had pro careers but I’m sure you already know and your unwillingness to acknowledge has nothing to do with your lack of understanding of our program and everything to do with your support of coach Johnson.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
2007 class was amazing, but even including it, the average for the 4 year prior to 2008 was only a mean rank of 48.25. The previous 4 years for GT is mean rank 50. CPJ had better top end talent for sure, but the overall team still had a very similar rank. To me that means if Collins and his coordinators are capable of getting solid production, we should be in good shape. I am looking forward to us fielding a defense next year.

Heisman1215

Jolly Good Fellow
That one class was amazing

slugboy

Staff member
I think we’ll have some idea of the program from the spring game, more from the first game, and a pretty good idea halfway through the season.
The two toughest games are on the ends—Clemson and Georgia. That’s a hard way to get the hype train going, and it’s a lot easier to end the season with a rivalry you’re favored to win. At least the players should be focused on prepping for a big opening game and be readier than normal.
I don’t know what to expect from the offense, aside from more passing and more razzle dazzle, but I don’t expect it to be as efficient. Maybe top 50 offense, with no idea of the coordinator. Blocking is going to change. I’m very interested in who the OL coach will be and how good they are.
Special teams should improve a lot. Collins has been good there.
Defense should also improve in year one.
He’s run a spread offense, so we should be able to use our current roster well.
Six wins or less would be a disappointment. Seven or eight is obtainable. Nine or more would be really hard with this schedule. This schedule isn’t set up for a nine or ten win season, unless you’re a top 15 team. A good season would be like BC had this year, and that’s what I expect: hard fought wins over Pitt, USF, Duke, Virginia, VT, Temple, and someone out of UNC, Miami, or NCST. We might be like NCST, but out of Georgia.
Maybe there will be karma in the schedule, and the ACC will schedule Duke to play Notre Dame and Tech in back to back weeks.
I think some of our opponents are going to look at prepping for other schools, instead of practicing for the Flexbone. We’re gonna be treated like just another team on the schedule. The Coastal out of conference records might improve, but they might take us lightly.

So 7-8 wins. If we don’t get good assistants and coordinators, I’ll revise down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

With all due respect, you are showing your ignorance of the intricacies of the passing game at this level with that comment. If it's so easy, why was our passing game so poor this year under Johnson?

You don't understand how Friedgen would have the players run a pass pattern over and over to get to the exact same spot on the field in a certain number of seconds, and then have the QB get the ball to that spot at the exact time. The receiver turns and there is the ball. It takes precision and repetition--and talent. This is not the sand lot passing game you may have played.

Even if we had OL big enough to pass block, there is so much more to it than "lining up our current kids in the gun and teaching zone blocking." Sorry, but that is such a lame comment. The laugh is on you.