Next Season

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I like the hire !! Not trying to be negative but just realistic: I think next year might be a 4-8 season . Very tough schedule , even if it happens I don’t think we should get discouraged

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
We have Citadel, Temple and USF in non-conference next year, all early in the year. I'd expect at least 2 of 3 there and really should go 3-0 against those 3. I think we should beat UNC, and can certainly beat UVA. Miami and VT will be toss ups I think.. I know with the transition there could be some lumps, but I expect at least 6-6 next year with those teams on the schedule.

I also think the cupboard isn't as bare as people want to make it out to be. Braun is coming off 1st team all ACC work, and I think he'll transition nicely... I think many of our OL will be just fine with new scheme. I'm not expecting us to win the coastal next year or anything, but I don't think it's gonna be a disaster by any stretch either.

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ went 9-4 his first year with Gailey's recruits who weren't necessarily suited to his system.

Not sure why the expectation is any lower for CGC. CGC will likely be inheriting an 8-5 team compared to CCG's 7-6 that PJ got.

Good coaches adjust to the personnel they have. Not making a bowl game would be a massive failure. Sorry, but after hearing all the crowing from some people the last few years, I'm not going to "accept mediocrity."

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ went 9-4 his first year with Gailey's recruits who weren't necessarily suited to his system.

Not sure why the expectation is any lower for CGC. CGC will likely be inheriting an 8-5 team compared to CCG's 7-6 that PJ got.

Good coaches adjust to the personnel they have. Not making a bowl game would be a massive failure. Sorry, but after hearing all the crowing from some people the last few years, I'm not going to "accept mediocrity."

Paul? kidding. I don't believe you can compare CPJ in '08 and CGC in '19. CPJ had an almost perfect QB/RB and WR for what he was doing and a solid defense. We don't know what offense we are running but anything that has to do with passing is going to be a struggle and our defense hasn't been good since '08. Not taking anything away for CPJ but the talent level of the two teams is way different.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

That is ridiculous. That was a top 25 roster. We now have a top 50 roster. Maybe.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Paul? kidding. I don't believe you can compare CPJ in '08 and CGC in '19. CPJ had an almost perfect QB/RB and WR for what he was doing and a solid defense. We don't know what offense we are running but anything that has to do with passing is going to be a struggle and our defense hasn't been good since '08. Not taking anything away for CPJ but the talent level of the two teams is way different.
Guess you missed the spring game that year and the 10 fumbles. I was think oh crap.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
CGC seems like the kind of guy that can sell the idea of success at GT. I think he will draw in some talent and get lots of folks behind him and the program. While 4-8 wouldn’t surprise me, I’m thinking 6 or 7 wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We could do well but we will be trying to transition our offense while also having a weak defense likely. That is not a recipe for immediate success. I think how many we win likely relies on how our schedule breaks down and when we get some of the more winnable games. I actually like having Clemson early because I doubt we'd beat them at any time and it means we have an extra week of experience for the more winnable games.

I'm afraid that our OL will really struggle in the transition though.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

You just don't have a good understanding of where our program is now compared to when Johnson was hired from a talent perspective. Sorry, but we knew once we hired Johnson the transition away from his offense was going to be more difficult than the transition into it. To say otherwise shows a severe lack of understanding about the game.

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
You just don't have a good understanding of where our program is now compared to when Johnson was hired from a talent perspective. Sorry, but we knew once we hired Johnson the transition away from his offense was going to be more difficult than the transition into it. To say otherwise shows a severe lack of understanding about the game.

My point is that its the head coach has the responsibility to make the transition as painless as possible.

If we're scuffling along on offense next year with lots of the same pieces that gave us a top 30 offense this season, I'll be pissed when I know there are things that we could be doing that worked only a year prior.

On defense, I agree the talent level is lower but most of our best recruits have been on that side of the ball.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
My point is that its the head coach has the responsibility to make the transition as painless as possible.

If we're scuffling along on offense next year with lots of the same pieces that gave us a top 30 offense this season, I'll be pissed when I know there are things that we could be doing that worked only a year prior.

On defense, I agree the talent level is lower but most of our best recruits have been on that side of the ball.

Prepare to be pissed, there are definitely going to be some bumps in the road

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Just because TQM and TO struggles throwing the ball, doesn’t mean we don’t have a few that can. Don’t forget, Jordan Yates coming in looks like he can spin it too.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
There just setting things up for a future slam job. "Man, how did he not win 10 games, I mean they only play in the ACC, it is not like they have a tough SEC schedule. winning only 5 games, Tech sucks!"
That and I think it’s PJ. He did not suffer fools lightly, and there are many fools on sports talk radio. We could have hired Hue Jackson and they would say it was an improvement because they disliked the man personally.