Next Man Up - OL

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Very atypical for a football player, but pure GT. We won't be seeing tweets about "not being here to play school" from him.

More power to him.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
For now, Shamire has been shuffled out of the starting mix which is unusual for GT due to his tremendous talent and the fact we're down several lineman. I think coach is sending him a very direct message: get the weight off you're gonna sit on Saturdays. This is an example of a kid simply having to decide to put the team first and do what he needs to do. He has all summer to train and eat right, it's up to him, it's all "want to". This is more of an "up to him" thing than JHD making grades, if you ask me.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Totally agree with anyone in this thread who is suggesting that moving BG is about putting the best 5 OL out there at the same time. That's been our OL philosophy for awhile, and is one of the most unique aspects of coaching our offense. I love that we crosstrain these guys. Also, it is only SPRING. I expect no less that five of what we consider "starting positions" now to change by fall. Happens every year.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Questions:

Is right guard the most important position on the OL? Shaq Mason, our best OL, played the position the past two years. Before him, our best OL was Uzzi, who played RG for 2010-2012 season.

If RG is the most important position, why? If not, which position is and why?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think the lineup gets the most experienced players on the field.

LT Griffin
LG Chamberlain
C Burden
RG Braun
RT Joe

It is very hard for a freshman or a redshirt freshman to get on the field as an OL. There is just so much to learn in knowing where to go and the timing of getting to your man. We have some excellent depth though. DeVine will play, he just may not start. I am hoping Brown gets to play some as well.

We will need 2 guards next year right?
What year is Joe?
I think JT tends to roll right... is that right?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Questions:

Is right guard the most important position on the OL? Shaq Mason, our best OL, played the position the past two years. Before him, our best OL was Uzzi, who played RG for 2010-2012 season.

If RG is the most important position, why? If not, which position is and why?
That's a good question and I'm no expert but I think the fact that Uzzi and Shaq both played RG was coincidental. I think we ran behind our best OL a lot because he was our best OL. Where ever he is, we're gonna run behind him more often.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
That's a good question and I'm no expert but I think the fact that Uzzi and Shaq both played RG was coincidental. I think we ran behind our best OL a lot because he was our best OL. Where ever he is, we're gonna run behind him more often.
But Shaq started at LG until Uzzi graduated. And now it looks like we are taking an experienced LG in Braun and moving him to RG. That makes me think it is not a coincidence.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When coach had a good feel for the defense he put Shamire in (3 and early 4th quarter). Defenders were a half step slower and were suprised by shamires power. When he engaged he MADE AND HELD SPACE - especially on the counter play.
If this guy or EJoe is rumbling at you it's quite differen than the smaller more agile ol we had against Air Force at the advocate bowl. Engaging to defeat the block takes courage!
Shamire needs to get E Joes ferocity - until then 3rd quarter rotation to continue.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
But Shaq started at LG until Uzzi graduated. And now it looks like we are taking an experienced LG in Braun and moving him to RG. That makes me think it is not a coincidence.

Our offense is typically a symmetrical alignment (not considering hashmark position). Some defenses line up symmetrically and some line up bias to us running to the right ( probably due to our RH QB). So maybe the defensive tendencies influence us to put our stronger blockers on the right as well as our own tendencies to run to the right.

404trunewjackect

Georgia Tech Fan
anybody have a picture of what 6'7" 325 pounds look like ? just curious . looking at devine he has a pudge stomach ( not the biggest iv'e seen in football ) and looks like he needs to tighten his chest but ever thing else is solid. I'm thinking 325 is unreasonable 340 may b what they really want and more doable with the results they are looking for . when i wacth sec football all the big guys are in when i watch nfl ( the super bowl) vince was large.this could all just b media hype.then again gt likes to run time up that u need stamina for quick touchdowns not so much .how do you want your football? i myself like power house football for a high score and the win

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I think the lineup gets the most experienced players on the field.

LT Griffin
LG Chamberlain
C Burden
RG Braun
RT Joe

It is very hard for a freshman or a redshirt freshman to get on the field as an OL. There is just so much to learn in knowing where to go and the timing of getting to your man. We have some excellent depth though. DeVine will play, he just may not start. I am hoping Brown gets to play some as well.

We will need 2 guards next year right?
What year is Joe?
I think JT tends to roll right... is that right?
Griffin is out

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe they want Sham-Wow down to 325 because it takes a lot of stamina for a 16 play 12 minute death march. That's why being two deep at OL is such an advantage. If the other side has better DL than you, just keep them on the field until they die. What an odd thing this TO is.

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
No, unfortunately fat does not burn off before muscle. At least not consistently. When you lose weight, you lose muscle. Always. You may lose some fat too - but do not let anyone tell you that you do not lose muscle when you diet. No matter how it is advertised, there is no such thing as a diet that loses fat only and not muscle.
Doesn't fat burn off before muscle?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
No, unfortunately fat does not burn off before muscle. At least not consistently. When you lose weight, you lose muscle. Always. You may lose some fat too - but do not let anyone tell you that you do not lose muscle when you diet. No matter how it is advertised, there is no such thing as a diet that loses fat only and not muscle.

I think they're putting it in the context of muscle building program rather than just diet.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I think they're putting it in the context of muscle building program rather than just diet.
Its complex. Your body will, in general, preferentially use fat to make up for caloric deficits. That's the point of fat, so to speak. However, your body will also attempt to adjust its requirements over the long term, and absent a demand for more muscle metabolism in the form of working out will adjust your 'muscle maintenance' caloric budget downwards.
Worse, your body has a famine mode which kicks in that preferentially burns muscle because it thinks you might not be getting enough food to survive in the future. It also overrides the normal 'I'm full hormone' and incited you to eat everything you possibly can.

That's why for an athlete like Shamire you tend to focus on cycles where you build up muscle and eat a lot and cycles where you cut fat and eat less than you burn in a day. All about keeping your body in balance.