Next Dalvin Cook in the ACC?

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Mills is, IMHO, going to be one of those guys who is almost impossible to stop before he's 2-4 yards past the line of scrimmage... He'll have a bunch from 4-12, and some 12-30... He'll probably have fewer 40+ than a Dwyer, and hence he'll fly a bit under the radar as far as discussions of national RB performance are concerned, which is just fine by me... GT fans will be in heaven...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Mills is, IMHO, going to be one of those guys who is almost impossible to stop before he's 2-4 yards past the line of scrimmage... He'll have a bunch from 4-12, and some 12-30... He'll probably have fewer 40+ than a Dwyer, and hence he'll fly a bit under the radar as far as discussions of national RB performance are concerned, which is just fine by me... GT fans will be in heaven...
He's gonna be a workhorse that punishes defenders, especially late in games. He'll have a boat load of short and medium gains then end up with 150 yards and folks will go "whoa, where did that come from?"

Get ready to hear the steam whistle a lot this year.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
His weight gain reminds me of Dwyer in '09. But his game and style is much different so I think it will be a positive rather than a negative.

Dwyer relied on one cut quickness and track speed. Extra body weight inhibits this. Furthermore, he hated contact and the dive.

The exact opposite is true of Mills. DM loves contact and seeks out punishing defenders with it. Extra weight makes him harder to tackle and more durable.
#2 in blue would disagree

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
It's been a while since we have ran that draw play hasn't it? I don't remember running it while JT was the QB. Normally it was a QB draw.
You do gain an extra blocker when the QB runs the draw but I cannot say for sure that's the reason. We haven't run the BB variant of the play since Dwyer has been here.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Just because Dwyer could make people miss doesn't mean he didn't like contact.
Maybe it was that he didn't like contact when he didn't have the ball when the qb pulled on the mesh. I distinctly remember a lot of discussion back in '09 about contact associated with the dive. I highly doubt he would have come to GT if CPJ was the coach recruiting him out of high school.

On the flip side, I am thrilled to see the quality of back we are landing who know full well what they're in for and I really appreciate the ones that crave contact like Mills.

PS, I'm of the opinion a primary reason MM left had to do with this very topic.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Another great rushing performance was the 2008 Georgia Tech-Miami game. GT annilated the Cocanes that day.

I love to watch this game. The 2011 Kansas game is more awe inspiring, but this was a game against a quality opponent. And we beat the living snot out of them. I can still remember the Grant Field announcer after Dwyer and Nesbitt had successive 50 yard runs. The next play Dwyer went for 8. The announcer: "That ends the Tech record of back-to-back 50 yard runs at 2." I was hoping for 3 myself and there was no reason to not expect it.

I hope we beat them like this next year. After last year's game we owe them, big time.