Next Dalvin Cook in the ACC?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Dedrick was grown azz man out there during the Spring Game. Defenders looked like they were not having fun when they realized he had the ball. Defenders were bouncing off him like gnats, and one guy had no chance to take him down. It took multiple defenders.

Then after they finally took him to the ground, Dedrick would just bounce back up. You could tell he put on good weight over the offseason. Have fun dealing with that, ACC.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Dedrick was grown azz man out there during the Spring Game. Defenders looked like they were not having fun when they realized he had the ball. Defenders were bouncing off him like gnats, and one guy had no chance to take him down. It took multiple defenders.

Then after they finally took him to the ground, Dedrick would just bounce back up. You could tell he put on good weight over the offseason. Have fun dealing with that, ACC.

There was one play, and it may be the one you're talking about, where Mills absolutely trucked Corey Griffin then proceeded to drag a some guys a few more yards. Griffin had a good angle and got low as well but stood no chance.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Doesn't Mills look a lot bigger in the uniform now? I'll bet he is 15 pounds heavier than Dec 31.
I'm actually a little worried he'll start losing speed if he keeps putting on weight. I know he's not meant to be used as a speed back but he's starting to look like a LB to me. I think he'll still be great but I'm wondering if it might help to lose a little weight this summer. He was apparently 225 for the bowl game so an extra 15 pounds might be too much for a RB

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
He looked like he should be in the next league up and he is only a sophomore. If he stays healthy all the records may fall and Joe may not be the Jacket with the most Heisman votes in a couple years.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
CPJ talked a lot about getting leaner and losing the body fat for the OL. It was evident that's what they did. I think Mills could do that, and be even better. Don't get me wrong he's good now, but he could be just as much of a bruiser with less body fat and more muscle, and that would allow him to be more agile. That would be even scarier than what he is now, and would help him make the next level better imo.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
CPJ talked a lot about getting leaner and losing the body fat for the OL. It was evident that's what they did. I think Mills could do that, and be even better. Don't get me wrong he's good now, but he could be just as much of a bruiser with less body fat and more muscle, and that would allow him to be more agile. That would be even scarier than what he is now, and would help him make the next level better imo.
His weight gain reminds me of Dwyer in '09. But his game and style is much different so I think it will be a positive rather than a negative.

Dwyer relied on one cut quickness and track speed. Extra body weight inhibits this. Furthermore, he hated contact and the dive.

The exact opposite is true of Mills. DM loves contact and seeks out punishing defenders with it. Extra weight makes him harder to tackle and more durable.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
His weight gain reminds me of Dwyer in '09. But his game and style is much different so I think it will be a positive rather than a negative.

Dwyer relied on one cut quickness and track speed. Extra body weight inhibits this. Furthermore, he hated contact and the dive.

The exact opposite is true of Mills. DM loves contact and seeks out punishing defenders with it. Extra weight makes him harder to tackle and more durable.
I agree he will be fine, but if he were to lean out some he could be more dynamic because he would be more agile. Imagine not knowing if he was going to cut on a dime or run you over. Plus imo it would help his chances for the NFL.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I agree he will be fine, but if he were to lean out some he could be more dynamic because he would be more agile. Imagine not knowing if he was going to cut on a dime or run you over. Plus imo it would help his chances for the NFL.
Lets hope it's 3 more years before he goes to the NLF. :) But I have a feeling it will only be 2 years.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

Give the kid time, this is only his true sophomore season coming up. Maybe he was focusing more this offseason on getting bigger, and now going into summer conditioning he'll start working on getting leaner.
Btw, I don't think he looks fat at all...it's not an Eddie Lacy situation or anything. Dude is thickly built is all.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Give the kid time, this is only his true sophomore season coming up. Maybe he was focusing more this offseason on getting bigger, and now going into summer conditioning he'll start working on getting leaner.
Btw, I don't think he looks fat at all...it's not an Eddie Lacy situation or anything. Dude is thickly built is all.
I'm giving him time, I'm not complaining at all. I was just making a statement that imo if he leans up some it will help his play.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I think he could wind up being another Johnathan Dwyer:cool: