New Yellow Jacket club for students and young alumni

crut

Helluva Engineer
The flex pass is great for all the young alumni, especially those who graduate and take jobs away from Atlanta.

plangineer

Jolly Good Fellow
Glad they're advertising the alumni season ticket discount! In previous years it wasn't clear this was an option unless you talked to the ticket office - and then you had to purchase it over the phone instead of online.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I didn't say it was negative, but it's a reasonable question to ask why they are ONLY targeting young alumni and not all alumni.
because there's a disconnect between young alumni and older alumni in amount they invest in athletics. Both financially but also emotionally. This is just one program that is trying to prevent the dropoff between student and young alumni and the hope is that it will translate to a greater investment in the future.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
because there's a disconnect between young alumni and older alumni in amount they invest in athletics. Both financially but also emotionally. This is just one program that is trying to prevent the dropoff between student and young alumni and the hope is that it will translate to a greater investment in the future.
Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense to me...much like the same drop off in church engagement at this same time, so I can relate to the effort. I am not surprised by the difference in $, but I am surprised by the other comparison. I guess the young ones move away or get busy with their new lives. Anyway, thanks for that explanation.

crut

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense to me...much like the same drop off in church engagement at this same time, so I can relate to the effort. I am not surprised by the difference in $, but I am surprised by the other comparison. I guess the young ones move away or get busy with their new lives. Anyway, thanks for that explanation.
As a young alum I also can say there is definitely a large contingency of YAs that do not have the money to buy full season tickets. Also, for those who moved to a different city after graduation and aren't around much, it is not worthwhile to buy season tickets. This program addresses both issues. With older alumni, there is usually a lot more lifestyle stability and the more common plans are already suitable.

So it was more than GT lacked good options for Young Alumnis rather than that they are only targeting them and not alumni in general.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
As a young alum I also can say there is definitely a large contingency of YAs that do not have the money to buy full season tickets.
Don't get me wrong...I'm all for any program that gets butts in the seats and sells more tickets...but this is B.S....

Anyone (alum or not) can literally buy a season ticket package for something like $350 total...no donation necessary. My best friend did it last year. If you park off campus for $20/game add in another $120 or so and you're at $470 to go to every game. That's less than $500 for a season ticket package to a P5 football program...comes out to about $39/month if budgeted and accrued throughout the year.

...so also don't take this the wrong way. People can choose to spend their hard earned money on whatever they want. But saying that they didn't have options was a little silly. Any alum from Tech that has acquired a job can budget $39/month for this sort of entertainment. It's just a matter of what they wish to spend their money on instead....their decision, of course.

Don't get me wrong...I'm all for any program that gets butts in the seats and sells more tickets...but this is B.S....

Anyone (alum or not) can literally buy a season ticket package for something like $350 total...no donation necessary. My best friend did it last year. If you park off campus for $20/game add in another $120 or so and you're at $470 to go to every game. That's less than $500 for a season ticket package to a P5 football program...comes out to about $39/month if budgeted and accrued throughout the year.

...so also don't take this the wrong way. People can choose to spend their hard earned money on whatever they want. But saying that they didn't have options was a little silly. Any alum from Tech that has acquired a job can budget $39/month for this sort of entertainment. It's just a matter of what they wish to spend their money on instead....their decision, of course.
Not to mention that YA's don't have mortgages to pay or generally families to support. Seems to me that in many cases it would be easier on a YA than an older one.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I "sat" in the young alumni section last year for football. Couldn't have been a worse section for me to be in. One of the least engaged crowds I've ever been around at a Georgia Tech game (granted I was sitting SWARM for my years at Tech). We would move to empty seats on the old people's side pretty much every game and I found it much more engaging.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

It’s all in priorities. My first job after graduation was Knoxville, TN. Rather than attend UT games, I bought two season tix to GT games and made the 4 hr drive every Saturday. Loved attending the games and listening to others on the drive home.

It’s all in priorities. My first job after graduation was Knoxville, TN. Rather than attend UT games, I bought two season tix to GT games and made the 4 hr drive every Saturday. Loved attending the games and listening to others on the drive home.
My first job when I got out of Tech was in Oak Ridge, and I had season tickets for the Jackets also. I had no desire whatsoever to see the Vols.

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
A couple other small changes I saw on reddit for student tickets:
Swarm and helluva are merging to be part of the yellow jacket club
Season ticket cost: $59 and it includes an Addidas T-shirt

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT starts the process of learning how to b!tch. As some of get older, we perfect it!

Anyway, having a bridge with YAs makes a lot of sense so they stay more connected to GT. Most YAs I knew from my time and even the recent ones in our GT Club just wanted to take a break from GT. Hopefully this will keep a few more active. The perception in our club of the 6 or so YAs is that the alumni association is only interested in getting donations. That's why our club is free and us older farts host things for free. It's not about the money, it's about the community. And this program may help change some of that perception.