New weight room ???

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
I like the idea especially if the AT Fund has a donor level that allows pre-game access at level X and game access at level Y to the courtyard. Doing an area like Below the Chop at SunTrust Park might get the younger alumni. I just hate thinking of that naked solid wall 20 yards away from the endzone. And speaking of connecting it to the West stands, how about connecting the West stands at both ends so a person can walk around the stadium like most other stadiums?
It's possible to walk from the west to north stands but very awkward.

Deleted member 2897

They did improve it a little.

We went from 3 bye weeks against us to 2. A 33% reduction! LOL. Plus we got screwed with other games – only one ACC team out of 14 plays an FCS opponent the week that Virginia plays Liberty. So of course we were that one team in the entire conference who got scheduled to play Virginia the week following. You could see it coming from a mile away.

We went from 3 bye weeks against us to 2. A 33% reduction! LOL. Plus we got screwed with other games – only one ACC team out of 14 plays an FCS opponent the week that Virginia plays Liberty. So of course we were that one team in the entire conference who got scheduled to play Virginia the week following. You could see it coming from a mile away.
Oh, I know, but 33% is better than 0%. LOL

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
My complaint is the lack of fans to make some noise when the opposing team is driving towards the endzone on the south side. It's always good to have a crazy bunch of students on the south side acting like fools, yelling profanities and trying to mess with the oppositions composure.
Hardly any students are in those stands anyways. I don't have a problem reducing their ticket allotment and making them "squeeze" into the north stands. Stadium size isn't as big a factor in recruiting as it used to be imo. Nice facilities are though.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
For better or worse, "cosmetics," so to speak, affect recruiting, so it would not be money spent in vain. But yes, we DO need to increase the recruiting budget and scope.

I don't think it would necessarily be spending money in vain, although I do hope we would someday come to regret reducing seats in the stadium because that would mean we would have more butts to fill them. I just think we could get a better bang for our buck, that's all.

I don't think it would necessarily be spending money in vain, although I do hope we would someday come to regret reducing seats in the stadium because that would mean we would have more butts to fill them. I just think we could get a better bang for our buck, that's all.
I have no problem with regretting the decrease in seating, as long as we start filling up what we have, thus minimizing the number of opposing fans that can get seats. We can worry about re-increasing the capacity when that day comes.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I'm one of the few that thinks it would be a good idea to decrease the seating and have few fans of the opposing team in our Stadium.

This is not the way schools serious about athletics (paying coaches multi millions of $) reduce the number of opposing fans at their home stadium.

Maybe if we cut capacity to 35,000 that would create even greater demand, but at GT we always seem to assume there is no negative impact of our own actions.

There are obviously several options available without reducing capacity.

If GT was committed, we would be planning on ways to increase capacity by doing the things we should.

But the mantra anymore seems to be “We Can’t Do That”.

Last edited:

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's a novel idea: If we want to improve recruiting, why don't we spend the money on...recruiting?

10,000 square feet? Just how big a weight room do we need? I wish we would stop monkeying around with the stadium and go national with our recruiting. Then, instead of tearing out seats to "sell out" the stadium, we could sell it out by putting more butts in the seats we have by winning more games. But I guess that's a stupid idea. Nix that.

What if we hired a specialty recruiting analyst that cut across all sports for the purpose of identifying high academic student athletes nationally, maybe globally, when they're underclassmen, that project to fit ACC competition by the time they reach college?

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
What if we hired a specialty recruiting analyst that cut across all sports for the purpose of identifying high academic student athletes nationally, maybe globally, when they're underclassmen, that project to fit ACC competition by the time they reach college?

In a perfect world tech expands and says we will create an easier course for student athletes that dont want an engineering degree. Maybe lax on the mathematic side... I know that's blasphemy, but its blunt, to the point. and true .

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Hardly any students are in those stands anyways. I don't have a problem reducing their ticket allotment and making them "squeeze" into the north stands. Stadium size isn't as big a factor in recruiting as it used to be imo. Nice facilities are though.
What? You're wrong. I've sat in those seats and there is plenty of tech students there. When we are good and the game is NOT at noon the students fill that section up

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In a perfect world tech expands and says we will create an easier course for student athletes that dont want an engineering degree. Maybe lax on the mathematic side... I know that's blasphemy, but its blunt, to the point. and true .

Go look up the HTS and LMC degrees. More & more athletes are taking those.

The math isn't gonna be fun for every kid, but they're manageable if a kid is willing to put in some work and accepting D is for Done.

Also, the world you think is perfect is basically asking for a degree that requires no work. We're just not that school, for so many reasons. It doesn't mean there aren't degrees that are VERY manageable and quite valuable with a little effort.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Go look up the HTS and LMC degrees. More & more athletes are taking those.

The math isn't gonna be fun for every kid, but they're manageable if a kid is willing to put in some work and accepting D is for Done.

Also, the world you think is perfect is basically asking for a degree that requires no work. We're just not that school, for so many reasons. It doesn't mean there aren't degrees that are VERY manageable and quite valuable with a little effort.

I just feel to recruit the south florida talent and speedy guys, we would basically have to hand them guaranteed Cs and Ds for showing up to class. Otherwise they have 0 interest in going to school for academics.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
My complaint is the lack of fans to make some noise when the opposing team is driving towards the endzone on the south side. It's always good to have a crazy bunch of students on the south side acting like fools, yelling profanities and trying to mess with the oppositions composure.
We sat in the south endzone for 4 of our 5 years on campus, and used to hate when the team would choose to play into the North Endzone instead of towards us. We always thought we were louder than the kids in the North, although they had the advantage of not having the visiting section right by us.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think it's a great idea. It would put us near the top in facilities with a modest investment. We already have a brand new state of the art locker room, now a top notch weight room with natural lighting that looks out onto the field, no less. Don't forget the capital campaign to basically rebuild the Edge is on going.

Decreasing stadium capacity is a bonus not a negative, in my book, it's too big as it is.