New weight room ???

stech81

Helluva Engineer
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...room-for-georgia-tech/ZmzRvTpwSyT1lHVPROLhiI/

Not sure about further decreasing the capacity of BDS, but it's definitely an interesting idea. It would at least get all the students back together at the same end of the stadium, and it would also move a sizable number of the visiting fans to the upper north, further away from the action.
I'm one of the few that thinks it would be a good idea to decrease the seating and have few fans of the opposing team in our Stadium.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I'm okay with this actually. We only sell out a few games, there are less than 3,000 seats there, they don't have a good angle on the game, and we could get more value out of it in my opinion through upgrading our facilities in that area. Those seats didn't use to be there not that long ago.
Nah we fill it good when play at 330 or at night and with the new ACC network we will have better kickoff times starting next year

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I like the idea, A) I agree it would help recruiting and B) We can afford to lose 3,000 seats ... I don't think a stadium seating capacity reduction from 55,000 to 52,000 is going to hurt much.
Also, if there was a way to design it so that it could connect it to the West Stands that would even be better, picking up the lost seats in the angle.
... I always hated that the stadium expansion project didn't connect to the west side making a lower bowl.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
Having a courtyard area where the south stands are sounds like a promising idea. If they could somehow get a beer-garden type area in there on game days, I think that could be a major draw for young alumni and younger "sidewalk" fans
The only issue is this would be an expensive project and seats would sell at a premium in order to fund the project. Not many young alumni are willing to pay for premium seating. We need a much larger area where alcohol is sold so it's financially feasible for the average fan to attend a game and have a beer.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps we should spend money on some revenue generating improvements...i.e. rip the stands out and put in a field level bar

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Here's a novel idea: If we want to improve recruiting, why don't we spend the money on...recruiting?

10,000 square feet? Just how big a weight room do we need? I wish we would stop monkeying around with the stadium and go national with our recruiting. Then, instead of tearing out seats to "sell out" the stadium, we could sell it out by putting more butts in the seats we have by winning more games. But I guess that's a stupid idea. Nix that.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I like the idea especially if the AT Fund has a donor level that allows pre-game access at level X and game access at level Y to the courtyard. Doing an area like Below the Chop at SunTrust Park might get the younger alumni. I just hate thinking of that naked solid wall 20 yards away from the endzone. And speaking of connecting it to the West stands, how about connecting the West stands at both ends so a person can walk around the stadium like most other stadiums?

Here's a novel idea: If we want to improve recruiting, why don't we spend the money on...recruiting?

10,000 square feet? Just how big a weight room do we need? I wish we would stop monkeying around with the stadium and go national with our recruiting. Then, instead of tearing out seats to "sell out" the stadium, we could sell it out by putting more butts in the seats we have by winning more games. But I guess that's a stupid idea. Nix that.
For better or worse, "cosmetics," so to speak, affect recruiting, so it would not be money spent in vain. But yes, we DO need to increase the recruiting budget and scope.

speaking of connecting it to the West stands, how about connecting the West stands at both ends so a person can walk around the stadium like most other stadiums?
That's an easy thing to do when building a new stadium or stands within a stadium, but the cost of modifying BDS, or any existing stadium, in such a way would be astronomical, not to mention hard to actually do.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
My complaint is the lack of fans to make some noise when the opposing team is driving towards the endzone on the south side. It's always good to have a crazy bunch of students on the south side acting like fools, yelling profanities and trying to mess with the oppositions composure.

My complaint is the lack of fans to make some noise when the opposing team is driving towards the endzone on the south side. It's always good to have a crazy bunch of students on the south side acting like fools, yelling profanities and trying to mess with the oppositions composure.
Can't argue with that, although we didn't have students in the old south stands, and it didn't hurt. Although back then we also had students seated on the visitors' sideline creating havoc throughout the game. Most notably that happened the times those student threw fish, and unfortunately bottles, at the visiting ND team and coaches. Don't want that to happen again, but having Tech students immediately behind the visiting team's bench was a big plus.