New substance abuse policy at Georgia Tech

Deleted member 2897

I would have gladly accepted a free ride through school with all expenses paid including room and board for alcohol testing. Would have saved a bunch of student loans and working 20-40 hours a week in addition to my schoolwork. And I would have done it even if I was the only one on the whole campus being tested. but, as they say, that's just one opinion. I enjoyed alcohol and still do. But it wasn't (and still isn't) worth to me more than the cost AND value of my GT education. Your question (imo) is a no-brainer.

There are all kinds of students at Georgia Tech on scholarship who don't have to get tested all the time. To me it smacks of an assumption of guilt to test these guys all the time without any suspicion. If I'm a high school student, I'm wondering do I really want to go to a school to play football and give my blood, sweat, and tears if their default position is that I'm a criminal and they are going to always be on my back.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Think of it as a violation of the 4th amendment - illegal search and seizure. How many times did you drink alcohol before you were 21? What if you had had to get tested all the time for it, with no prior reason other than a 'Georgia Tech policy'...one that doesn't include the student body, only these discriminated athletes?

Like CPJ said - if someone has a reason to be tested, then I'm all for it. But we shouldn't be assuming they are all guilty of bad behavior simply because they are athletes. This ain't the $EC.

This isn’t an attack on you Bwelbo, as a matter of fact I’ll ask it as an open question. What is your thought on a drug testing requirement for government assistance ? Most conservatives would be all for a testing mandate for welfare recipients. I support a testing mandate when public money is supporting you. The thing is regardless of public or private, we all know every school gets public money, so ......

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
This isn’t an attack on you Bwelbo, as a matter of fact I’ll ask it as an open question. What is your thought on a drug testing requirement for government assistance ? Most conservatives would be all for a testing mandate for welfare recipients. I support a testing mandate when public money is supporting you. The thing is regardless of public or private, we all know every school gets public money, so ......

Good question for lounge not football forum.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Good question for lounge not football forum.

Parliamentary Inquiry and Point of Order AE87,

How can I be called out on my post when it’s under the topic heading and a response to others post ? We are talking about drug testing policy for Tech football (generally). However, I digress

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If the powers that be don’t apply the ability to take away a “strike” academically - **** em.

So you claim (I assume) you want to win, be the best teammate possible, you want to beat ugag, you want to make All Conference at your position, you want to play for the ACC championship, and play in the CFP - but you can’t keep your azz away from illegal drugs and get caught at least 3 times? **** you as well loser snowflake.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
There are all kinds of students at Georgia Tech on scholarship who don't have to get tested all the time. To me it smacks of an assumption of guilt to test these guys all the time without any suspicion. If I'm a high school student, I'm wondering do I really want to go to a school to play football and give my blood, sweat, and tears if their default position is that I'm a criminal and they are going to always be on my back.

If you aren't smoking something illegal then it is a minor inconvenience at worst. Small price to pay for acceptance to a place you probably wouldn't get in otherwise, and a full ride scholarship that has a relatively low bar to continue to get.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
When this originally came up I was very much against it because I didn't like the idea of letting kids slide because "thats just how it is these days". However, after reading the article if they are saying they consulted with experts and professionals about it then it makes me feel better about it. I don't have enough knowledge about substance abuse and addiction to really refute their advice.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Agreed @Lavoisier - I am all about making the policy based on data and facts. As long as we are transparent about what we are doing, why we are doing it and enforce the rules we create; I can feel good about it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don’t really have any issues with a stricter or looser set of policy rules. I just want them to be enforced consistently and fairly to all under whatever policy is utilized.

Seems pretty obvious to me Tech has done that fairly well. Pretty sure most p5 programs would find reasons to prevent losing one of their top 5 players for any rule violation.