New substance abuse policy at Georgia Tech

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Unfortunately for Mills, based on that article, sounds like he wouldn't academically be able to make it back even if they decided to give him another chance.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I like it. I'm not sure it'll help some people as it seems you'll still be subject to random testing if you fail the incoming drug test coming in from HS. Allows for high profile players who plan on only staying 3 years to smoke weed once a year :)

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure how I feel about this. The issue for me is that the kids on scholarships are getting a free education so, to me, it shouldn't be considered to be to much to stay drug free. I'm sure it will help in competition since we will be on the same footing as the factories but it really has the ring of an SEC move.

On the other hand I think marijuana should be legalized at this point

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I would not worry. Tech is still going to recruit high character young men. We just can't handicap ourselves any more than we naturally are with policies stuck in another era when society's attitudes are rapidly shifting. I like that they made a point to explain that the new policy is science-based.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Nowhere close to ringing SEC. It's still a pretty damn strict policy. Moreso because we actually follow our policies.

we will see. The fact is that legally, once you identify anyone as having an issue that needs treatment you will be hard pressed to punish them when they have a relapse.

Not trying to rain on the parade just making an observation. I like what T Stan is doing

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I'm glad to see that we're making progress. Hard to render an opinion without specifics, but it certainly seems that reason and evidence are being prioritized here much more than the past. As I said in the Mills thread, contingency as being part of the policy is good so long as treatment is at the center. Contingency is used here to enhance engagement in treatment.

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not sure how I feel about this. The issue for me is that the kids on scholarships are getting a free education so, to me, it shouldn't be considered to be to much to stay drug free. I'm sure it will help in competition since we will be on the same footing as the factories but it really has the ring of an SEC move.

Should people on the Zell Miller scholarship be drug tested? They get free tuition. I think that's a really slippery slope.

Personally I'm glad to see that GT is finally trying to match the factories in areas were we actually can. It's already hard enough to recruit here no need to shoot ourselves in the foot when we don't have to.

Deleted member 2897

Think of it as a violation of the 4th amendment - illegal search and seizure. How many times did you drink alcohol before you were 21? What if you had had to get tested all the time for it, with no prior reason other than a 'Georgia Tech policy'...one that doesn't include the student body, only these discriminated athletes?

Like CPJ said - if someone has a reason to be tested, then I'm all for it. But we shouldn't be assuming they are all guilty of bad behavior simply because they are athletes. This ain't the $EC.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
By signing the scholly paperwork aren't you in effect signing over any protection from any illegal search if there is indeed any language that says you agree to be tested?
Athletes can be tested on a random basis, before the start of their season, upon reasonable suspicion and before postseason competition.

Pretty much spells out the fourth amendment, at least during the season.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Think of it as a violation of the 4th amendment - illegal search and seizure. How many times did you drink alcohol before you were 21? What if you had had to get tested all the time for it, with no prior reason other than a 'Georgia Tech policy'...one that doesn't include the student body, only these discriminated athletes?

I would have gladly accepted a free ride through school with all expenses paid including room and board for alcohol testing. Would have saved a bunch of student loans and working 20-40 hours a week in addition to my schoolwork. And I would have done it even if I was the only one on the whole campus being tested. but, as they say, that's just one opinion. I enjoyed alcohol and still do. But it wasn't (and still isn't) worth to me more than the cost AND value of my GT education. Your question (imo) is a no-brainer.