New Starters This Weekend for GT

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great move by Hall! He as much as said he was going to try other pitchers in the pre-game interview to the Auburn game.

People can ***** about Hall's coaching all they want; but when there is a problem area he moves kids around to try and fix it. Last year we started off with a terrible in field defense and that got fixed.

But we have to go with the players we have. Before Tuesday 7 earned runs we gave up, we were second worst in the ACC.
So as you said, we've got
  • King Friday - 5.4 ERA in 10 IP. Makes sense, he can pitch for 6 innings hopefully and not get into trouble. His opponent batting average is only .205 - where Jonathan has gotten into trouble is with control in the 4 walks and 2 hit batters. http://beesball.com/stats2015.html He was hurt for most of last year and hopefully the control will come back.
  • Pitts Saturday - 0 ERA in one IP. This is interesting. Pitts was a good starter for us 2 and 3 years ago. Not sure why he's only been in once this year. So I'd expect him to be short - like 60-80 pitches.
  • Gold Sunday - 2.45 ERA in 7.1 IP. He has great control with 7 SO to only 2 walks and not hit batters. Again, the only question I would have is how long he goes. Not that he shouldn't be getting a start since he has the lowest ERA on the team for pitchers with more than 7 IP. Gold didn't even pitch for us last year ...... but that was before we lost 4 pitchers who also happened to be drafted from last year's team.
In summary, King and Pitts HAVE to be effective starters for us to have much of a chance this year.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Like the move. Parr and Stanton were looking atrocious out there. Give someone else a shot while it's still early and let them work on their issues.

Pitts Saturday - 0 ERA in one IP. This is interesting. Pitts was a good starter for us 2 and 3 years ago. Not sure why he's only been in once this year. So I'd expect him to be short - like 60-80 pitches.

Well he had Tommy John surgery less than a year ago. I think they're kind of pushing the envelope expecting him to be a consistent starter right now. Hopefully he's fully recovered and can get his command back.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="Squints, post: 137716, member: 822] I think they're kind of pushing the envelope expecting him to be a consistent starter right now. Hopefully he's fully recovered and can get his command back.[/QUOTE]

I posted on the Georgia Southern thread that I hope they'd bring Pitts in slowly working him here and there to build his arm back.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
King has pitched three innings. 48 pitches with 26 strikes. 1 hit, 1 walk. He has been getting ahead in the count, but the % of strikes at 54% is less than the minimum of 60% you'd like to see from a pitcher.

Pabst threw out his walk to end the second .... 8 of 10 throw outs by Arden. Hell of a good job. Plus we have a DP for the other base runner. So the defense is sparkling so far ......

Oh yeah, the stat which counts: 0-0 after 3 complete.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
First game all year that we were never behind. I can live with that! (y)

Doing work on a floor - great way to pass time; especially when we win. From the way the game was called, our D came up really big. The throw out by Pabst, a DP and some really nice plays by Bailey including a bang bang in the ninth that could have been the difference ........ I like lots of runs but I like well played ball better.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
First game all year that we were never behind. I can live with that! (y)

Doing work on a floor - great way to pass time; especially when we win. From the way the game was called, our D came up really big. The throw out by Pabst, a DP and some really nice plays by Bailey including a bang bang in the ninth that could have been the difference ........ I like lots of runs but I like well played ball better.
I don't ask for much. Two of these per week will do.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Sat through as much of the game as my old body could take, but liked everything I saw. King was getting ahead of just about every hitter. Still a little too cutesy after getting ahead in the count, but it worked, so I guess I should shut up! Seemed like early we were drilling the ball, but hit so many "right at 'em" that I was afraid we would get frustrated. But AJ didn't and the defense did the rest.

VERY glad to notch a win like this. Staff meeded this. Now let's sweep these guys!

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Bats hot at the start of this game. Tech up 5-0. Pitts pitched well in the 1st inning, but he's been ok since.

He's got out of a jams. The sycamores have scored in the T3. We're up 5-1 now.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
AJ HR. 9-1 after 5.

Been listening and working on other stuff. We should win this one and never trail. I can get used to this. ;)

Pitts had a good start 3 IP, 1 run. 52 pitches and 26 strikes (50%). He breezed through the first 2.2 innings then had trouble with walks and a HBP. I guess we'll be watching him strengthen through the year. At least we have a lot of pitchers to do middle relief.

Parr coming in 4th - 7 pitches and 6 strikes. That is all the pitchers need to do with our D. Throw strikes and let the D do it's job.

Last edited: