New Single Digit Uni's Announced

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

This article was released on AJC this morning outlining several uniform number changes. As many have noticed from other social media posts that Gibbs is in fact going to be wearing the no. 1 uni this season. Other things that stick out to me, TK is getting a single digit which hopefully means he's back in full form from his injury.

Biggest surprise to me is that Avery Boyd has earned a single digit (no. 9) as a redshirt freshman. We've got a number of talented young WR on the roster, many getting a lot of love on the message boards but few are expecting a lot out of Boyd this season. Perhaps he's getting the single digit for his work as a leader on special teams but he could also be making noise with the offense. Could be a player to watch throughout the spring.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Wow. McGowan gets a single digit after a couple months.
Also, Boyd getting a single digit.

Do single digits directly relate to playing time based on last years numbers?

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

This article was released on AJC this morning outlining several uniform number changes. As many have noticed from other social media posts that Gibbs is in fact going to be wearing the no. 1 uni this season. Other things that stick out to me, TK is getting a single digit which hopefully means he's back in full form from his injury.

Biggest surprise to me is that Avery Boyd has earned a single digit (no. 9) as a redshirt freshman. We've got a number of talented young WR on the roster, many getting a lot of love on the message boards but few are expecting a lot out of Boyd this season. Perhaps he's getting the single digit for his work as a leader on special teams but he could also be making noise with the offense. Could be a player to watch throughout the spring.
If I recall correctly the coaches felt like Boyd and King were beginning to push for "burn" and then got hurt last season. Boyd is also one of those guys that our coaches got to see early in the recruiting process at one of our camps and offered him a scholarship right after that. They liked what they saw and he was really fast when they timed him. With all of that I'm excited that he also appears to be a good leader and teammate.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
If I recall correctly the coaches felt like Boyd and King were beginning to push for "burn" and then got hurt last season. Boyd is also one of those guys that our coaches got to see early in the recruiting process at one of our camps and offered him a scholarship right after that. They liked what they saw and he was really fast when they timed him. With all of that I'm excited that he also appears to be a good leader and teammate.
If you go back and look at media from last year, Boyd was constantly highlighted. One practice he caught a TD from at least our top 3 abs and multiple from a couple guys.

He was someone I was expecting to make an impact last year. I don't remember what his injury was, but if he's back to form, he can be a weapon. We also lost our top 2 WRs from last year so plenty of opportunity for someone to take the reigns (purposely misspelled).

Jmonty71

Banned
I'm not too sure I like the whole single digit cookie thing. Imagine busting your tail, only to have someone say that someone else, that hasn't even played a game, is better than you. I just don't get it. Not something that I would think would drive a positive team thing.... But, that's my opinion.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm not too sure I like the whole single digit cookie thing. Imagine busting your tail, only to have someone say that someone else, that hasn't even played a game, is better than you. I just don't get it. Not something that I would think would drive a positive team thing.... But, that's my opinion.
I think you miss the whole point of the single digits. It's not about "being better," it about effort.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind, some players might not want a single digit number and like the number they currently have. Not everything is about “being better”.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
And if you view the objective “effort score” posts the S&C put out every day, you’d see his name pop up as one of the best of the day very very often

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I always thought a patch for the captains would be pretty cool. Kind of something like this.

Give that to the kids instead of the single digit. Would look pretty sweet sitting around the heart or collarbone area.

1616684329923.png

Deleted member 2897

If you go back and look at media from last year, Boyd was constantly highlighted. One practice he caught a TD from at least our top 3 abs and multiple from a couple guys.

He was someone I was expecting to make an impact last year. I don't remember what his injury was, but if he's back to form, he can be a weapon. We also lost our top 2 WRs from last year so plenty of opportunity for someone to take the reigns (purposely misspelled).

Also as a reminder, Avery Boyd has been timed at 4.37 in the 40 IIRC. By comparison (again IIRC), Justin Thomas timed around that range.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Also as a reminder, Avery Boyd has been timed at 4.37 in the 40 IIRC. By comparison (again IIRC), Justin Thomas timed around that range.
Looking at his highlight film from HS, his sneaky speed jumps out. Blows by defenders easily. At 6'2" and over 200 lbs with that speed, he has awesome gifts. I didn't see too many out and up , or over the middle routes. But you can't coach speed and size in combination like he has. Could be a force this year.

Deleted member 2897

Dang! I didn't realize he had that kind of speed. Hard to keep a guy with that speed at his size off the field.

OK to make sure I wasn't mis-remembering, I went back and looked up what his 40 speeds were listed at.

AJC / CGC: 4.35

Steve Wiltfong on 247: 4.39 (as timed by us at our own camp)

I looked his track times up and Athletic.net lists his 100m time at 10.78 (I believe Justin Thomas was 10.6x), his 200m time at 21.99, and his 400m time (most of these are irrelevant to football) at 52.32. Just wanted to post them all, because they are just disgustingly fast.