new schedule format

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Personally I would have been happy to move on from Clemson every year, but I know that's a controversial opinion, and I wouldn't be surprised if we requested to maintain that rivalry. I don't think there's any other opponent we're wedded to, perhaps VT or UNC would have made a good alternative. We didn't get screwed per se. The 3 toughest schedules all feature Clemson. It's simply that they've been so dominant compared to other teams this was inevitable. While the percentages make us slightly worse off than the others with Clemson, you can't really say by looking into a crystal ball that Wake will continue its recent trend, although they are likely to be plucky no matter what, and Louisville is similarly a crapshoot, probably middling team. Athletically, those are teams we should be on par with at least.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Personally I would have been happy to move on from Clemson every year, but I know that's a controversial opinion, and I wouldn't be surprised if we requested to maintain that rivalry. I don't think there's any other opponent we're wedded to, perhaps VT or UNC would have made a good alternative. We didn't get screwed per se. The 3 toughest schedules all feature Clemson. It's simply that they've been so dominant compared to other teams this was inevitable. While the percentages make us slightly worse off than the others with Clemson, you can't really say by looking into a crystal ball that Wake will continue its recent trend, although they are likely to be plucky no matter what, and Louisville is similarly a crapshoot, probably middling team. Athletically, those are teams we should be on par with at least.
We are in no position $$ and school academic requirements wise to make demands.
imo it is what is.

Miami has spent and is spending huge $ on coaches while we continue to spend money on bricks and mortar as if we will someday hire top coaches. Miami is desperate to leave the acc. with FSU, and Clemson for super $$ conference. The need to play top teams to get top recruits.

The left over development conference will have a fruit basket turnover in scheduling.

I visualize playing fewer conference games each year and adding interesting teams that are at the top of the devolvement league (like Baylor, etc ).

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Any ACC team that jumps brings no TV or streaming revenue to the new conference through 2036. There ain’t no jumping while the current contract is in place

We were fools to turn it down then, but B1G would be fools to offer today. The Ohio State - GT home game would be an ACC broadcast
2024/25 all contracts will be reworked. Reasoning: UT and OU move to $ec. ND contract is up at NBC. There will be additional shifts all over the board. G5 is realigning as well. It will be an interesting offseason after 2023.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I'm ok with the permanents. Despite their elevated play, Clemson makes sense for us logistically and historically. Somebody had to pair with Louisville, might as well be us. I'd have preferred Duke over Wake as they are easy to hate on. The Deacons just seem like nice people; hard to build a good hate rivalry relationship against nice people. On the positive side, the tailgates will be cordial.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Any ACC team that jumps brings no TV or streaming revenue to the new conference through 2036. There ain’t no jumping while the current contract is in place

We were fools to turn it down then, but B1G would be fools to offer today. The Ohio State - GT home game would be an ACC broadcast
If you really believe that contract will still be in existence come 2036 then I want what you are smoking. The ACC, ESPN, or even the NCAA may not exist in their current form in 14 years. In case you haven’t noticed change happens fast these days and contracts are always renegotiated by both parties.

kalld12

Banned
If you really believe that contract will still be in existence come 2036 then I want what you are smoking. The ACC, ESPN, or even the NCAA may not exist in their current form in 14 years. In case you haven’t noticed change happens fast these days and contracts are always renegotiated by both parties.
Yes, he's choosing to believe something that is currently in place rather than your speculative take which is all you ever post or add to this board. Keep on smoking what you're smoking cuz none of us want any of it. You really dont think people have been saying the same stuff for years? How much you willing to bet the NCAA, ACC, ESPN are all here thriving 14 years from now? Please lets wager

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
They kind of change most people are talking about is not going to happen fast. Texas and OU announced their move last year, but it’s probably going to be another 2 years before that happens. Relative to creating a super conference, that is a very modest change. You would think an expanded playoff (ie more than 4 teams) would be easy to do, but the “power players” couldn’t agree. I agree there will be changes prior to 2036, but it's not going to be the seismic changes most are talking about.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Is anyone watching our ACC Commissioner on the ACCNetwork. Dude is a total clown and the personality of an old shoe. This is our leader and he looks like he was just released from the hospital.
No one cares what you think. Your negativity about everything is astounding.

Jim Phillips is the epitome of what college football needs. He's the most ethical, intelligent person in college football. As usual, you talk about things you know nothing about.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The problem is that there is no incentive for most of the ACC schools to negotiate. What can ESPN offer them to compensate for destruction of the league and relegation of their programs below P5 status? There is a reason that Texas and OU can't get out of the Big 12 right now.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
My only real problem with the overall scheduling is that it obviously made sense for us to continue playing Duke every year as we have for 90 years. Either Duke doesn't really want to continue that or the ACC really didn't give a crap what our team wanted. Either one isn't good.

One other note, I guess the 2023 Benz game will be UNC again. The rest of the home schedule is hot garbage.

slugboy

Staff member
My only real problem with the overall scheduling is that it obviously made sense for us to continue playing Duke every year as we have for 90 years. Either Duke doesn't really want to continue that or the ACC really didn't give a crap what our team wanted. Either one isn't good.

One other note, I guess the 2023 Benz game will be UNC again. The rest of the home schedule is hot garbage.
I think Duke DID want to play us. It's just not the only consideration.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow

Lets put this in context. We will play all of the teams in the ACC at least two times in a four year period. That’s a good thing. It’s not like we are going to stop playing Duke, UNC, UVA, Va Tech, Miami, etc. We might have some rivalry with Duke, but it’s not Army-Navy or Alabama-Auburn. The rivalry is modest at best. If you asked Duke, we might register 3rd or 4th on their list. Most Tech fans want to play Clemson every year so that’s a good thing. We will play FSU more often; we will play NC State more often. These are good things in my opinion.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
No one cares what you think. Your negativity about everything is astounding.

Jim Phillips is the epitome of what college football needs. He's the most ethical, intelligent person in college football. As usual, you talk about things you know nothing about.
You live in a fantasy world. I am not negative in the least. You are the one who believes GT deserves a 3 win coach. You’re the one who believes a conference who has fallen many levels is being run properly. It’s just unbelievable. And now you say of all the people involved in college football that our commish is the “most ethical, intelligent person in college football”. That’s a ballsy statement. Who cares how ethical and intelligent he is. He hasn’t done a darn thing so far except give the Carolina schools the nicest schedules year to year.

I guess anyone who believes GT can do better than a 3 win coach in football, or being a March Madness tourney team, or winning something in baseball is negative. You can’t define GT fans because you don’t like what they post. You need to broaden your brain.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Lets put this in context. We will play all of the teams in the ACC at least two times in a four year period. That’s a good thing. It’s not like we are going to stop playing Duke, UNC, UVA, Va Tech, Miami, etc. We might have some rivalry with Duke, but it’s not Army-Navy or Alabama-Auburn. The rivalry is modest at best. If you asked Duke, we might register 3rd or 4th on their list. Most Tech fans want to play Clemson every year so that’s a good thing. We will play FSU more often; we will play NC State more often. These are good things in my opinion.
Im not saying the overall move to a 3-3-5 is a bad thing. It will obviously be great to play everyone more often. I'm just saying our opinion of who our permanent rivals should be probably was given less consideration than the janitor cleaning up during the meeting. If Clemson didn't want to play us every year then we probably would have been stuck with Wake Forest, Louisville, and Syracuse. Maybe that is a direct result of our struggles in revenue sports recently but either way its hard not to feel like we got shafted.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You live in a fantasy world. I am not negative in the least. You are the one who believes GT deserves a 3 win coach. You’re the one who believes a conference who has fallen many levels is being run properly. It’s just unbelievable. And now you say of all the people involved in college football that our commish is the “most ethical, intelligent person in college football”. That’s a ballsy statement. Who cares how ethical and intelligent he is. He hasn’t done a darn thing so far except give the Carolina schools the nicest schedules year to year.

I guess anyone who believes GT can do better than a 3 win coach in football, or being a March Madness tourney team, or winning something in baseball is negative. You can’t define GT fans because you don’t like what they post. You need to broaden your brain.
You really shouldn't comment on things you know nothing about.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I like the fact that we play other teams more often than before. I hate that we have permanent cross-overs. I think the entire schedule should rotate. There is no reason any one team should be rewarded or punished because they have a permanent opponent that is perennially strong or weak.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
There was a time not too long ago that we beat Clemson regularly. Always tempting to look at these things with a recency bias.
It’s actually been a pretty long time now and things are radically different now in cfb. We in all likelihood will NOT compete with them year in and year out like we used to no matter how badly we wish it were different. Clemsoning is not really a thing anymore, they are a perennial top 5 team, have a massive $$$ money advantage on us and thats not going to change anytime soon. All we are doing by playing them every season from here on out is making it harder on ourselves to make a bowl and diminishing our overall record against them. Oh and getting embarrassed regularly. Maybe just maybe if they go the FSU or UT route and make a series of horrendous coaching hires we can get back there but it seems unlikely.