new schedule format

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
The fact that we can't cheese our way to the champ game from a mediocre/worse than the atlantic coastal division anymore is what takes the cake. I have no idea when we will ever see Tech as top two in win % out of all ACC teams. Did that even happen in 2014??
FSU was 8-0 in conference that year. We tied Clemson at 6-2 but beat them head to head.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, at least we can always count on consistency from the swine in the ACC office. I didn’t even look at GT. I went straight to UNC to see that it was exactly what I figured. If y’all don’t see this conference is a ponzi scheme then I don’t know what to say. I can’t wait until this league is dismantled. Clemson and FSU will take the first offer they get as they should. And so should GT.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Doubtful. Many of these permanent matchups are historic rivalries and there isn't much changing up possible. There's nowhere for Wake Forest and Louisville to go and nobody else wants them. We just have to deal.

2023 home conference slate: BC, UNC, Cuse, Louisville. Gross. Might be the weakest schedule of my entire lifetime. Sad.
Next years home schedule also has Bowling Green and UGA, probably the most uninteresting home schedule in my lifetime. Two games worth seeing. I guess UNC will be the MBS game again, so we might average 30,000 at BDS for the season, and thats with the Mutts taking over.

This is also a windfall for the Ville. They are starting to recruit GA hard and successfully, they can now tell recruits you get to go home every two years.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Should’ve gone to the Big10 when we had the chance.
Be careful what you wish for, "BIG" took Rutgers for NYC, Jersey TV mkts, Terps for Baltimore/DC/northern VA TV Mkts, they're going to expand I read somewhere. Do they have TV negotiations coming up? Isn't that when they expand?
I've heard a couple alums of other ACC schools say the ACC will not survive, not sure myself, we all know the money for the "BIG" and SEC is going to dwarf the ACC, Big 12, Pac 12 money going forward. There gonna be big change a coming it appears to me.
I keep hearing SEC people saying FSU and Clemson to SEC, have no idea where they're getting that from.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Is anyone watching our ACC Commissioner on the ACCNetwork. Dude is a total clown and the personality of an old shoe. This is our leader and he looks like he was just released from the hospital.

davesbrain

Georgia Tech Fan
So my first reaction to this was that we got off pretty easy. We all knew that Clemson was a given, but winding up with Louisville and Wake Forest isn't as bad as it could be. Wake Forest is enjoying a high at the moment but it's not going to be that way for long. I know Louisville looks great on paper, but they always find a way to ruin their own season and we typically have success against them. Clemson is what Clemson is. I'm honestly happy we didn't get Duke. They are a thorn in our side and like it or not, they tend to give us a game more times than not. I actually think Clemson got the shaft in this draw surprisingly. FSU is on the way up and we know the struggles that Clemson can have with NCSU. I am shocked they didn't get the cakewalk schedule and wind up with BC, Virginia, and Duke. I figured they wouldn't get Syracuse since they have scared them too much in the past few years. Oh well, that's my sorta-kinda hot take for the day. Still want us in the Big10. Screw the ACC!
From Clemsons perspective, we are the cakewalk piece of their triumvirate

slugboy

Staff member
This is also a windfall for the Ville. They are starting to recruit GA hard and successfully, they can now tell recruits you get to go home every two years.
So our home games are a recruiting advantage for our opponents?
If that angle works, should we just play away games so we can recruit better out of state?
(If anyone can’t tell, I think it’s a really small windfall )

CEB

Helluva Engineer
So our home games are a recruiting advantage for our opponents?
If that angle works, should we just play away games so we can recruit better out of state?
(If anyone can’t tell, I think it’s a really small windfall )
Call me crazy but I would like to play in Florida... I guess the “5-5” part of the equation should put us down there once every 2-3 years.

I won’t slam any of our opponents but I do find it interesting that two of the teams we landed as permanent opponents were about as low on the list as they could be for historic rivalry, proximity, or general interest. BC and Syracuse would’ve been worse choices, but not many others.

That said, I like our chances against our new rivals and if we can resurrect the program, I don’t care who we’re beating. ;)

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
It's pretty straight forward.

No one cares about Louisville. Not old ACC. Not old Big East. Therefore three teams had to be stuck with Louisville.

It's not any more complicated than that.

ETA: it's basically the same thing with Wake, and we got them too. Getting two that way kind of stinks.

I agree that someone had to get stuck with Louisville. I disagree about Wake though. A lot of NC State fans were complaining because apparently the Wake NC State game is the second longest consecutive rivalry going back 110+ years. There is no reason NC State should have Duke as a permanent as opposed to Wake. That would leave Duke to us, which at least is historic and makes more sense than Wake.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, at least we can always count on consistency from the swine in the ACC office. I didn’t even look at GT. I went straight to UNC to see that it was exactly what I figured. If y’all don’t see this conference is a ponzi scheme then I don’t know what to say. I can’t wait until this league is dismantled. Clemson and FSU will take the first offer they get as they should. And so should GT.
GT should’ve jumped ship 10 years ago to the B1G. If the offer comes again, we would be fools to say no again.

slugboy

Staff member
GT should’ve jumped ship 10 years ago to the B1G. If the offer comes again, we would be fools to say no again.
Any ACC team that jumps brings no TV or streaming revenue to the new conference through 2036. There ain’t no jumping while the current contract is in place

We were fools to turn it down then, but B1G would be fools to offer today. The Ohio State - GT home game would be an ACC broadcast

bhoffman123

Georgia Tech Fan
Amen, frick the ACC once again. We get stuck with playing the consistently hardest team to beat in the conf, plus two teams that literally nobody cares about playing. Thanks SO much ACC, It makes me want to leave this conf twice as bad now. They really should have done this with zero perm opponents
There was a time not too long ago that we beat Clemson regularly. Always tempting to look at these things with a recency bias.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was minorly surprised that Wake only got 1 Triangle team, but the obvious first call for the ACC was to make sure the 3 Triangle teams played each other every year.

We should be playing in Florida at least once every other year given 2 FL schools in the conference.

We haven't been very competitive with Clemson for about a decade. We are 1-9 in the last 10 years against Clemson with the 1 being our best team in the last decade. Only one of those 9 losses was decided by less than 2 TD's (last year).

Wake has been really solid under Clawson and I expect that to continue. They will not be a pushover game. They haven't won fewer than 3 ACC Games in a season in the last 6 years and are 24-23 overall in the ACC during that time. They are hardly a juggernaut, but they are a solid middle of the pack type ACC team at this point.

L'ville is definitely having a great recruiting year this year. They already have four 4* and one 5* committed including the national #1 ranked RB and a national Top 10 ranked QB.

Unfortunately it is pretty easy to project where GT is going to end up in the recruiting rankings this year unless the 'quality' picks up alot during the season.
GT is currently ranked with the 9th best class in the ACC on Rivals and the 10th best on 247Sports but given the difference in 'stars' and number of recruits committed it is likely GT ends up around 11 or 12 in the recruiting rankings when all is said and done.

Unfortunately, right now GT is an ACC cellar dwellar and it has alot of work to do to climb out of it.