New O scheme position changes

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This sounds like a fun thread. I just wish I knew what type of scheme we were trying to run. First off, let me say, I think we will be fine on offense, so long as we don't hard headily decide to go I formation and statue QB with no option principles to speak of. In my mind, that would a 3 year conversion project.

On offense, the smaller AB players should be able to transition to slot back type receivers easily. Because they were small, recruiting players for AB (in the flex-bone) without hands and quicks makes no sense at all. We haven't seen some of them play much, but I am optimistic they can run the slippery underneath routes and find open spaces and catch the ball. So, pencil all those guys for inside receiver roles. WR is a worrisome position, if you ask me. My gut tells me, Carter will be a good player in a system which passes more, maybe even better than the present system. Beyond him, I am not so sure. I generally don't believe the stuff I hear until I see it for myself, but the word is that Sanders has legit speed. If so, there might be a second guy who can stretch the field at little. Camp is a bit of a WR / TE "tweener". There have been some very successful physical, but not fast, receivers in the NFL before. We will just have to see. Maybe he lines up next to the OT, maybe he stays outside.

At running back, I am not counting on Benson for next season. If he makes it back 100%, I will be the happiest guy on the planet. I think Mason and Howard are legit running backs who can transition to a zone read offense without a problem. They both looked really good to me on the speed option and BB toss plays, which tend to reveal a BB's true open field ability. Malloy exploded well on the dive play, but that is all I have seen. I would have Oliver stay at QB for now, until he absolutely shows he can't handle the new offense in terms of passing. If he does have to move, I would keep him at running back. We will want the ball in his hands a lot. If he is as hard to get on the ground running our old system, in confined spaces against 9 in the box alignments, imagine what he would do with a less crowded field? Could you imagine what it would be like as a defense with Graham at QB and Oliver at RB running zone read plays, and then throwing a lot out of play action? Personnel-wise, that is a great place to start.

I am not worried about the OL, just not. In fact, my gut tells me that J. Lee should move to DT. We need depth over there. IMHO, he has the motor, agility, and hostility to thrive on the D side of the ball.

As a final thought, our new OC will be inheriting one very special trait from this group that most casual fans don't appreciate enough, specifically in that, they will all know how to block and block very well, while embracing the dirty work aspect. Don't underestimate the importance of this. Most recruited skill players for popular offenses s#@k at blocking and never really take to it. All offensive systems are better when blocking is an "all hands on deck" mentality. When you watch NFL teams and CFB teams play, there is quite a wide gap in the blocking effectiveness quotient from the skill positions. This is what will make the transition work out better than some might fear at present.

On defense, I feel OK about our roster the further away you get from the ball. JT and TC look like prototypes for the safety position physically. If the rumor is true that we will press more on the edges, I think we can do it with the guys we have. We just simply have to come up with some guys who have speed to chase at LB and pack a punch too. CT will be good when he adds some physicality to his game. He was rushed into action a year too soon. The DL is a question mark too. We will just have to see. Whatever RBs fall down the depth chart need to go to LB. The same goes for certain OL players to DL.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought of Camp to tight end the first time I thought about it at all.

I think spring will be a massive try-out for the running back positions. Like a lot of y'all, with no idea what our offense will look like, I don't know who might fit.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I think the Offense will be a COMPLETE rebuild.Every position has question marks.-
--The CTR learning the snap --OG/OT learning zone blocking and pass blocking TE--wow, got nothing right now WR--little proven talent and a bunch of former A/B backs to try out. Running backs--some talent but learning a new system, probably the least concerning position , out of 12 backs we should be able to find a couple- --QB --new system and no proven passer where passing is probably paramount--if LJ is healthy maybe best, then Graham
VERY Tough change.Look back at first Spring with PJ---If CG turns this group into a decent functional unit he is a TERRIFIC coach

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Probably Vic Viramontes. We recruited him as a QB out of hs but he has been playing linebacker in JUCO. We had an in home with him a couple of weeks ago

alagold

Helluva Engineer
GC was IV'd on radio. What ENERGY!
He said he will use 2 days in Spring to try out guys from DEF to Off(and reverse).He said "flexibility" is key. ex-- He used a tailback as 3rd down pass rush guy to get speed on the edge. wow.
I still think Juan Thomas could go to WR. Taj Wheatley to WR. Jaz Lee to DE. Lots of Abacks and Def backs transfer.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I’ll say we have 2 Abacks who fit the role of a slot receiver imo. Ellison, who is coming in This 2019 class will be a RB probably, kinda see him in a “scafback” role. Mason would be the guy to keep an eye out at RB in a new type of system imo.

Carter, Dolphus, Camp, and Sanders will probably be your top WR’s.

OL won’t be as bad as some think imo, you have Braun who can play in most any system, and Defoor who has played at the college level in a different system than what we have been doing. Whoever plays center will have the easiest transition once the get a shotgun snap down. We could possibly get grad transfers if we try as well.

I’m not that worried about QB, I think we have 3 guys who can probably do what we need, and we could possibly get a transfer there as well.

It will be interesting to see if we have some transfers after the bowl game is over.
Adonicas Sanders will be the biggest beneficiary of the offense change. All Fall camp we heard about him making plays, let’s see him do it on Saturdays now.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Adonicas Sanders will be the biggest beneficiary of the offense change. All Fall camp we heard about him making plays, let’s see him do it on Saturdays now.

Jair & Dolphis

I’m really not concerned with WR. They have speed and size. Now they’ll get the reps to better learn the position.

Peje & Camp may switch positions, but I think they’ll stay receiver.

slugboy

Staff member
I’m not sure if this house has been beaten to death yet, but here are a few whacks.

TL;DR version: the migration shouldn’t be too drastic if we get a good OC with some sense.

The current Temple OC (Patenaude) runs an up tempo spread. It’s more balanced run vs pass than ours has been. I wouldn’t be stunned to see Patenaude come here, but I think it’s about as likely that Collins will pick someone else with an uptempo spread scheme.
Here are some highlights from the Temple / Maryland game

There’s a pick six (we’ll have to get used to those again). Some of the sets look like a half diamond formation. There’s another with a fullback.

This is enough to make me think a few of our B backs might end up in a fullback position, or maybe at linebacker. Some of our A backs might line up in a wingback role, or some in a slot.

For the most part, I think most of our players will migrate well to a somewhat new scheme. I don’t think we’re going to a traditional pro set.

Patenaude caught some flack because he started with traditional pro set players, and tried to force them into a spread offense. The players here fit his scheme better that the players he started with at Temple two years ago did, but I’d rather an OC look at what they have and try to make the most out of that, rather than think “here’s my scheme, how can I make players fit”.

I’m hoping for an OC who says “these are my playmakers, how can I get them all in a position to succeed”? I think that’s how you get great Mike Martz or LA Rams offenses. It’ll make recruiting a lot easier too, since players will see a chance to shine.

What I’m hearing are mostly “scheme” or “system” coaches lately.

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/201...ring-2017-season-american-athletic-conference
https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelp...ooms-temple-was-offensive-identity-discovered

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk