New Depth Chart and Injuries

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Charles Perkins started at A-Back, may have been bigger then Laskey.
When he was trying to play BB, he weighed 225. When he switched to AB he went back to 205, his high school weight. Big improvement in his speed resulted. I know why we tried him at BB - shoot, a lot of people said he was the best back in Georgia his senior year - but I think we stayed too long with the experiment.

Laskey, oth, had BB written all over him from the first and only got better. And would be playing this year if we hadn't had him returning punts when he was a frosh. Pardon me while I gnash my teeth for a second.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Toss up question to the group. Excuse the preamble that goes with it.

It seems like over the years I have noticed that teams that struggle seem to have more injuries. (before you say, "duh," and slap your head bear with me) I am not saying that the season goes south due to mounting injuries, I am saying that the team shows early on that it is struggling and then the injury avalanche starts to mount. I seem to recall this happening to Tech in the past. Bud Carson's first year comes to mind.

So a possible theory might be that teams that are struggling do not put sufficient pressure on the opposing team leading the opponent to be more aggressive and able to get "better shots" at your players. Likewise your own players are not playing within themselves, pressing and trying to do too much which gets them in vulnerable positions. Anyway, I have seen this movie before and now that I am watching a rerun I am reminded that teams that run like well oiled machines rarely have injuries in bunches but more like one or two key injuries for a season, whereas teams that struggle can have five starters go down within a couple of weeks.

Anyway, it would not surprise me to see more injuries with this team until we start to get some timing and continuity back and, conversely, if we were to suddenly start clicking on both sides of the ball our injury rate would drop. Right now we are just over matched in several ways.
Thoughts?
I think you're on to something. I might add skill level, that maybe those less skilled -- coordinated, drilled -- can get hurt because of it when matched against really skilled guys. Never thought much about it but there has to be a coherent reason for all the injuries, and I don't think players suddenly forgot how to play or coaches to coach.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
When he was trying to play BB, he weighed 225. When he switched to AB he went back to 205, his high school weight. Big improvement in his speed resulted. I know why we tried him at BB - shoot, a lot of people said he was the best back in Georgia his senior year - but I think we stayed too long with the experiment.

Laskey, oth, had BB written all over him from the first and only got better. And would be playing this year if we hadn't had him returning punts when he was a frosh. Pardon me while I gnash my teeth for a second.
For sure we've seen few who could keep driving forward after being hit, almost as though his legs were separate from him. Not sure but did he ever get hit for a loss?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Toss up question to the group. Excuse the preamble that goes with it.

It seems like over the years I have noticed that teams that struggle seem to have more injuries. (before you say, "duh," and slap your head bear with me) I am not saying that the season goes south due to mounting injuries, I am saying that the team shows early on that it is struggling and then the injury avalanche starts to mount. I seem to recall this happening to Tech in the past. Bud Carson's first year comes to mind.

So a possible theory might be that teams that are struggling do not put sufficient pressure on the opposing team leading the opponent to be more aggressive and able to get "better shots" at your players. Likewise your own players are not playing within themselves, pressing and trying to do too much which gets them in vulnerable positions. Anyway, I have seen this movie before and now that I am watching a rerun I am reminded that teams that run like well oiled machines rarely have injuries in bunches but more like one or two key injuries for a season, whereas teams that struggle can have five starters go down within a couple of weeks.

Anyway, it would not surprise me to see more injuries with this team until we start to get some timing and continuity back and, conversely, if we were to suddenly start clicking on both sides of the ball our injury rate would drop. Right now we are just over matched in several ways.
Thoughts?
Uhh? What you are saying may have some merit. However, I would put dumb luck, field conditions, good fundamentals, and physical conditioning higher up on the list.