Never as good or as bad as it seems... and I love this GT team

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
In a little over 8 days, we will have a good understanding of who we are. I feel good about what I've seen. If we play solidly the next two weeks, I think we will be very happy with this season.

Milwaukee

Banned
Why does Justin seem to always go to one receiver. Drives me crazy he never looks at his other one. Brad deserves to get some looks also. I do agree though that Ricky is a solid option. Wish some of the other young guys would get a chance.

Most of our passes are rollout/flood type plays so JT is looking at one side of the field with a couple of options. He primarily goes to the outside (Jeune usually) on these. This is by design, CPJ simply isn't calling those plays as often to Stewart's side.

I did see one pass play vs Mercer where JT's eyes and rollout started to the right but then he looked backside (Stewart's side on that particular play) for the home run, but he tucked it and ran because it wasn't there.

It's mostly scheme/design; I don't think JT is missing anyone.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There have been YUGE changes to college football. Substitution and squads, for example. But ... There are timeless principles. I attended Tech but am close to both the Alabama program and the Tennessee program. Both are admirable for different reasons. Bama emphasizes winning. Period. And has a uni admin that supports that. UT has Neyland ... And swears by his Playbook to this day. This promotes consistency ... Over decades.

Paul Johnson would crush the ACC if he had decent field position. And to do that, he needs a better, more aggressive defense and he needs a more refined kicking game. Both of those are taught. We have control over them.

The modern game has changed but not enough that we can't compete. Good players, executing high percentage plays can win. We need more discipline and better game coaching. I happen to like Paul's system ... But his coaches are not teaching the game.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Dodd's strategy sounds suspiciously similar to Chan Gailey's

That strategy worked when scores were often 6-0 and the best defense would win. Much better athletes and beneficial rule changes (like OL holding and limits on low blocking) greatly helped the offenses and the game has changed. Dodd recognized that trend was coming and it was one if the reasons he retired from coaching (his health was also an issue). Great defenses are still the way to win but you also have to put points on the board with good offenses.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. But ... Most game breakdowns are on offense. A good defense encourages breakdowns.

Also, the benefit of an explosive offense occurs above the 35 yd line when you can put the whole bag of tricks into play. Again, this means a strong defense.

Basic principles. The game is very difficult to always start between the 15 and 20 AND have a crappy defense.

18in32

Georgia Tech Fan
While there have been a lot of changes in college football since Dodd's days... by and large they have favored the 'little guy.' If you don't think that's true, then you aren't paying attention to the FCS teams beating FBS teams, or the surge in long-irrelevant programs (like Oregon and TCU and Baylor... Baylor!!). The limits on scholarships, the limits on practice times, the increased likelihood of stars leaving for the NFL, the equal media rights payments, etc., have all made it easier for teams to compete with the Notre Dames and Nebraskas of the world. I think you can make the argument that both integration and the influx of Northerners just as professionalized sports came to Atlanta both had a huge negative impact on GT football disproportionate to the impact similar changes had on other programs. But by and large the structural changes in the sport have contributed mightily to a more even playing field than existed in 1955.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Here's a 6 am factoid ... My high school was pretty much winless. Academic standards were high and all the good kids went to public school.

Then ... We got a new coach, invigorated alumni tired of losing, and better facilities. Now? Top ten program. Same kids.

Tech can compete ... If it wants to.

I still think our game coaching needs work, we need better defense, and overall better execution on offense.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's a different team every week. Lou Holtz got that one right. I don't understand why fanbases feel such a need to predict records ahead of time anyway. It goes on throughout the season. Generally speaking, I just take where we are at the moment and try to predict a record of 1-0 for the upcoming weekend. I have my opinions about how things are going on the team so far, but I can't pretend to even have half a clue as to how it is all going to play out over the course of the season. At this point in time 10-2 seems about just as likely as 4-8 to me. I have absolutely no clue, so I don't give it much thought.

The Zen Master has spoken.

Seriously, living your life this way is much healthier.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The Zen Master has spoken.

Seriously, living your life this way is much healthier.

I heard a coach say that you can't predict what will happen because unlike baseball, you only play 11 games a season so trends are really difficult to sort out. But ... what you an do is handicap it ... e.g., If we were to play this team 10 times this year, how many would we be expected to win? All 10? 7? 3? And the whole goal is "If we expect to win 7, don't be one of the 3 today."

Easy.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Man, those new uniforms take me back to the good days! Looks like a classic GT football team out there.