Never as good or as bad as it seems... and I love this GT team

18in32

Georgia Tech Fan
Call me crazy;... but I also don't envy the superpowers of the FBS who never experience the thrill of winning a real "upset"...or putting a really magical/surprising season together. They lose their minds (and interest in the season) after a single loss.
Yes, it is true Alabama doesn't "get" to upset anyone... but I think you are seriously underestimating the many other pleasures that come from being a fan of a superpower... like winning national championships, crushing rivals, and enjoying the adulation of media and fans around the country. I think I'd trade that for the once-a-year joy of storming the field after an upset. (I hope the team feels the same way.)

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
4141mpVQEaL._SX341_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Silas you need to read this....;)

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes, it is true Alabama doesn't "get" to upset anyone... but I think you are seriously underestimating the many other pleasures that come from being a fan of a superpower... like winning national championships, crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear their lamentations of their women. I think I'd trade that for the once-a-year joy of storming the field after an upset. (I hope the team feels the same way.)
Fixed ;)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Like Longest Day's take on the team. But I want someone to reassure me about our wide receivers. The two that are playing seem adequate but I was hoping for a different combination that could stretch the field, get separation from the defender, and cause defenses to not be able to stack the box.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Like Longest Day's take on the team. But I want someone to reassure me about our wide receivers. The two that are playing seem adequate but I was hoping for a different combination that could stretch the field, get separation from the defender, and cause defenses to not be able to stack the box.
Feel better, our wideouts will be able to do enough in combination with Qua and some of the Aback/Bback routes to keep defenders honest. If the D bites, I also think we have the bulk to pass block enough for quick throws which will be more likely this year with a Receiver group that can catch the dang rock

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
We're hitting the a-back in the seam on pass plays, so that's good. We haven't completed a long bomb to the wide receivers yet that's gone for a touchdown so that may be coloring everyone's opinion so far. Frankly, from an efficiency standpoint, I think the passing game has looked better than 2014, so far. Jeune and Qua seem to be good enough athletes at getting contested balls in traffic that they'll be the go to guys to bail us out on third and medium/long much like smelter did in 2014. The question to me is whether or not we're going to find a way to get the dive established. Everything starts from there. If we continue to struggle, we're going to be forced to play left handed the entire season and that is no bueno.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I love a glass half full kinda post. None of us can know the future, so why not be optimistic?

Someone asked Paul on Monday's radio show if the 2016 line could be as good as the 2014 line. Without hesitation he replied something like "Sure. They may already be as good. 2014 was Shaq and some great skill players." Maybe 2016 can be Freddie and some great skill players.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
GT is one of those places you hope everything falls in line at one time every 3-4 years. That's exactly what happened with our offense in 2014. We had 2 NFL WRs, a senior laden AB group, a good OL achored by an NFL RG, and 4 star QB who lived up to his billing. That led to a historic offensive output for that season. In 2009, we had NFL talent at WR, RB, and a 4 star QB who played in the NFL as a DB. Our OL had 2 guys who eventually spent time in the NFL. I believe almost all of our defense except the LBs spent some time in the NFL as well...and our DL saw everyone play multiple years in the NFL with a 1st round DE and a 2nd round DE.

Our defense in 2014 wasn't the greatest, but we made opportune plays...and had decent amount of NFL talent on that side.

2015, was of those years we hope only happens once every decade or two (I'll take never though). Since 1990, we haven't had a year that bad since 1994. For the most part we've been just good enough to make a bowl game, hovering around the 6-7 win mark.

Point is, 2016 will probably not be another 2014, but it also probably won't be as bad as 2015 either.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We haven't completed a long bomb to the wide receivers yet that's gone for a touchdown so that may be coloring everyone's opinion so far.
That may be it.

The slight concern I have is that teams with a really good pass rush may require our A-backs to stay in pass protection, in which case there will be times when we need a WR to get open deep. I feel good overall about the offense but I am not sure I want to rely on the A-backs to make our passing game work. I would rather they be the icing on the cake and one more weapon rather than having to make up for WRs who aren't getting open.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
One thing I am holding out on judgement so far with this team is our ability to run the triple option. In two games I've only seen a handful of true 3O plays called. Right before the half vs. Mercer, we ran it down the field for a fairly easy score. That may be a sign of things to come, but who knows. In '14, I thought one of our best offensive performances was actually vs. Miami, because they had some playmakers on D, and JeT was a wizard with his reads on the 3O. We ran it a lot that night.

I know the media loves to say it's all we run, but the truth is, there are games we only run it 2-3 times (BC in Dublin). However, all of our really successful teams, and all of CPJ's, have been good at it. If the 3O starts clicking, you'll see BB bursts up the middle suddenly increase, and our clearly improved passing game will be even more effective.

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
Just win baby!!! really dont care if we look great or sorry or if they have 25 first downs if at the end of the day if we have more points then they do......... its all good!!!

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
We're hitting the a-back in the seam on pass plays, so that's good. We haven't completed a long bomb to the wide receivers yet that's gone for a touchdown so that may be coloring everyone's opinion so far. Frankly, from an efficiency standpoint, I think the passing game has looked better than 2014, so far. Jeune and Qua seem to be good enough athletes at getting contested balls in traffic that they'll be the go to guys to bail us out on third and medium/long much like smelter did in 2014. The question to me is whether or not we're going to find a way to get the dive established. Everything starts from there. If we continue to struggle, we're going to be forced to play left handed the entire season and that is no bueno.
I hope you're right. I'm not convinced quite yet. I think we'll have a better idea after this week.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Some of these catches Ricky has been making are starting to remind me of #15...
Why does Justin seem to always go to one receiver. Drives me crazy he never looks at his other one. Brad deserves to get some looks also. I do agree though that Ricky is a solid option. Wish some of the other young guys would get a chance.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If we want to look on the brightside: All defenses are usually ahead of offenses the first few games, and we played one of the toughest D's last season and won. Mercer we held back after the first half.

Vandy game will tell us a lot more about our offense than BC or Mercer as we've had a couple of games for the staff to make adjustments to assignments, personnel, and schemes.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Why does Justin seem to always go to one receiver. Drives me crazy he never looks at his other one. Brad deserves to get some looks also. I do agree though that Ricky is a solid option. Wish some of the other young guys would get a chance.
I think he makes most of his reads before the snap. We usually only have 2-3 Players running routes and it seems he always decides to go with a certain one before the snap, and if it's not there it's time to scoot. (Which usually works just fine.) I agree though Brad does need some more looks, especially on first down when they are backing off of him 8-10 yards. That's a easy 5+ every time if CPJ will call it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Tech should be a consistent Top 25 team. We've always had talent issues, but our older teams (50's, 60's) had emphasis on two things we no longer think are relevant ... The importance of play selection and game coaching and second, the emphasis on a good defense.

Dodd "emphasized" that to best cesspit at Tech (vs. say Alabama), you had to 1) control field position, 2) play great defense, 3) make NO mistakes on offense, 4) be great at the kicking game, and 5) make the opponent create mistakes and capitalize on them.

Dodd's GT strategy was to keep the game close and win it in the 4th.

We would do well to go back to "the Georgia Tech Way" ... We figured all this out and forgot it. (Look who didn't ... Ray Graves, Frank Broyles, etc.)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Tech should be a consistent Top 25 team. We've always had talent issues, but our older teams (50's, 60's) had emphasis on two things we no longer think are relevant ... The importance of play selection and game coaching and second, the emphasis on a good defense.

Dodd "emphasized" that to best cesspit at Tech (vs. say Alabama), you had to 1) control field position, 2) play great defense, 3) make NO mistakes on offense, 4) be great at the kicking game, and 5) make the opponent create mistakes and capitalize on them.

Dodd's GT strategy was to keep the game close and win it in the 4th.

We would do well to go back to "the Georgia Tech Way" ... We figured all this out and forgot it. (Look who didn't ... Ray Graves, Frank Broyles, etc.)

This. There have been no significant changes to the landscape of college football from the 1950's until now. What worked then will work now.