Need An Understanding On QB Play

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
My issue from game #1 is his vision, and how when he decides to run, usually, he never looks up again, which is when many times a receiver will pop open. I also think he has not figured out yet how to throw guys open, but his accuracy confidence is probably not there yet.

Some of his best moments are when he breaks the pocket and makes a play. The TD to Gibbs against Syracuse I believe is the first one that jumps out.

He missed some throws this game that were gimmies. The throw to Leonard that wasn't close early was big. My issue with the play calling is that I think Coach P should call more plays early to get him into a rhythm. Saying that, teams may be taking that away. I'm not looking close enough to see how teams are defending us. Confidence is so big for anyone, but especially a true freshman. Even little bubble screens to Brown or quick little hitches to the TE. Even if it only gets a few yards, it builds rhythm and confidence. I hope to see more of that.

I think teams know our running game is our strength. I hope to see us pass to open up the run going forward. Not shot play (though some would be nice), but some rhythm throws to get Sims going.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Not in the game I watched yesterday or the week before. 19 points a game is not going to win us many games.
I'm sorry man, but are you blind then? I can tell you that we ran all of those plays. One of our biggest gains was off of an RPO where Sims kept it then fired the ball over the middle to a receiver for about a 20 yard gain.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I fall on the side that play calling matters. And also that he is not necessarily holding the ball too long. When the Dline is whipping your Oline, quick hitting and counter plays can be effective. When the Dline is whipping your Oline, screens and short slants and throws in the flats can be effective. As a high school quarterback with an oline that was not all that great, standing in the pocket for anything longer than an out route was exciting. And painful. I think CDP is doing his best with what he has. Unfortunately, results are the yardstick. That does not mean just statistically, but controlling the offense. That is the really hard part. Technically running a play is not that hard. But when the play does not develop as planned, adapting and either avoiding a loss or making something out of a missed assignment would be signs of improvement. And if you fumble, don't just stand there, get on the ball... Sorry, had to go there.

To Sims credit, he stands tall in the pocket, (wish I had been 6' 5") and tries to go through his progressions. But to me he stares down his primary target. I know I got "coached" on not doing that, but as a Freshman, it still seems he continues to do it. And it is really hard not to. So I have empathy for the kid. (Lawrence does a great job with head/eye fakes and was great during the Tech Clemson game). Sims has the tools, just needs to do what CGC keeps preaching, to improve everyday.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I fall on the side that play calling matters. And also that he is not necessarily holding the ball too long. When the Dline is whipping your Oline, quick hitting and counter plays can be effective. When the Dline is whipping your Oline, screens and short slants and throws in the flats can be effective.

What I've seen is our opponents pulling everyone in tight and challenging the lanes on those short throws. They are betting their DL forces a quick throw which pretty much precludes the down the field stuff.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
So after watching yesterday's game I couldn't help but come up with the same thoughts I've been having since game one. It seems like Jeff Sims hold on to the ball way too long, almost to the point where he's starting to remind me of James Blackmon at FSU. Can someone with better football acumen than me plz help me to see the light with Sims? Am I wrong in my assessment? Is it because the receivers aren't getting open soon enough? Is it the playcalling that causes him to hold the ball too long?
You did watch our QB play last year, right?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
My only comment is that I don't think got off but one downfield throw in the entire first half on Saturday. I completely agree that his pass protection is lacking, so in that sense I am not "blaming" Sims. But I do wonder if we shouldn't throw it up there and see if our receivers can make a play like we finally started to do in the second half. I get that Sims has probably been schooled not to do that because it can result in an interception....but when you get nothing out of your passing game, don't you have to start trying something? Anything? (NB-NOT placing ANY blame in Sims, my guess is coach is the one who is directing this, and it is NOT an easy decision or an obvious call)

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
A lot of what frustrates people is squarely on both LOS. At least on the DL we have a youth issue, but on the OL, Williams is the only youngster starter. This could take longer than I and others believe it should. If the many young OL (and DL for that matter), players on the roster don't produce and quickly, the race between better recruiting and results on the field, will be a steep uphill battle.

mac_n_chz24

Georgia Tech Fan
So after watching yesterday's game I couldn't help but come up with the same thoughts I've been having since game one. It seems like Jeff Sims hold on to the ball way too long, almost to the point where he's starting to remind me of James Blackmon at FSU. Can someone with better football acumen than me plz help me to see the light with Sims? Am I wrong in my assessment? Is it because the receivers aren't getting open soon enough? Is it the playcalling that causes him to hold the ball too long?
Simple answer. Im sure we all have heard the saying "When the game slows down........" Well the game as of now is moving at a fast pace and learning to make different reads against coordinators calling more advanced schemes trying to stop him is a lot to process as a 19 y.o. This off season will do wonders for him when he is able to look back at the mistakes and grow. Thats why you don't sit him. It's all a process.

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
What I've seen is our opponents pulling everyone in tight and challenging the lanes on those short throws. They are betting their DL forces a quick throw which pretty much precludes the down the field stuff.
This is 100% what is going on. We got off the quick release short/mid throws against FSU and some against UCF until teams wised up that our OL (OT in particular) is still a weakness. Bring everybody in tight and hope that your front 4 create pressure so that Sims doesn't have time for a play to develop down the field. When he does, that's when good things happen. He hit Camp on the one deep ball, overshot Carter on one, and way overshot Carter on a third where he had gotten knocked off his route. That last one was at least his 3rd progression. Holding the ball too long is not his problem. What he doesn't have yet is the anticipation or the "feeling" if you will. He has to feel that pocket coming in behind him or the edge rusher getting in to close and he needs to step up in those cases. Sometimes climbing up 2 steps in the pocket is all he would need to give him time to find somebody open or run. That comes with experience and the more he plays the better he'll get at it. Having everybody in tight on D is also a win/win for them because it also helps them against the run which is our strongest asset. When we aren't blocking good, everybody wants more protection, 2TE sets, etc. to help out. I think we actually need to spread the field more and let the front 5 not have to guess which guys they have to block.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we actually need to spread the field more and let the front 5 not have to guess which guys they have to block.

Yes, please. We aren't going to win the 1/1 physical matchups along the line consistently enough. So spread things out to create space for runners and push the defenders farther from the QB so he has fewer rushers to account for. Seems easy to me, but if it was that easy...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That guy just wants us to run under center, Paul Johnson style option and thinks it's the only way we can be successful.

Not only was one of the sacks from running read-option as you pointed out, but another sack was also on a play where we rolled Sims out. You'll notice both of those things he said we needed to do, we did (with our "plain vanilla" offense). He said he watched the game, but obviously wasn't watching close enough. Just looking for things to complain about most likely.
I have no idea what he meant, but the read option and the rollout are in fact plain vanilla.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
What is not vanilla? Is the only thing not vanilla a gimmick offense? TO or HUNH?
Unless I misunderstood you seemed to present the two plays in question as evidence Collins's offense was not "plain vanilla". My point was that in fact in this offense, they are "vanilla". Standard out of the playbook. Now, if we ran the read option then reversed the pitch, it becomes something unusual. By the same token, though well executed it is a thing of beauty, the triple option is a standard play.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Your two best athletes on offense are Gibbs and Sims. The read option should be a standard play for us but we don't use it very frequently. Obviously the other play off of that is the quick short to medium quick pass play (to tight ends or outside receivers). If we think making a pro style offense is out best bet, we are competing directly against Georgia for recruits. That is not a winning formula. Even some pro teams (like Baltimore) are running more read options. So clearly it wouldn't hurt recruits perception of not making them ready for the NFL. The other thing is Sims seems reluctant to run the ball compared to earlier in the season which I don't know if it is by design or taking too many tough hits.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not entirely sure what gave impetus to the beginning of this thread. Jeff's actually done quite a great job. FRESHMAN Jeff Sims completion percentage of 55.7% is third best of all Georgia Tech starting quarterbacks going back to 2002 behind only Tevin Washington at 56.4% in 2012 and AJ Suggs at 57.3% in 2002.

In comparing Sims to the great Joe Hamm, Sims, in 7 games, has been 98 of 176 for a 55.7% completion for 1346 yards, 10 INT's, 8 touchdowns, and 13 sacks and 123.6% efficiency. Little Joe's freshman year, in 10 games, was 108 for 188 and 57.4 percentage completion for 1342 yards, 13 INT's, seven touchdowns and 17 sacks for efficiency rating of 115.9%.

So at this point, Jeff has 1.7% less completion percentage, three less INT's, one more touchdown, for less sacks and 7.7% better efficiency rating.

I'd say he has done da&n well all things considered.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Your two best athletes on offense are Gibbs and Sims. The read option should be a standard play for us but we don't use it very frequently. Obviously the other play off of that is the quick short to medium quick pass play (to tight ends or outside receivers). If we think making a pro style offense is out best bet, we are competing directly against Georgia for recruits. That is not a winning formula. Even some pro teams (like Baltimore) are running more read options. So clearly it wouldn't hurt recruits perception of not making them ready for the NFL. The other thing is Sims seems reluctant to run the ball compared to earlier in the season which I don't know if it is by design or taking too many tough hits.
I hear you but if we are scared to go head to head with UGA for anything then what does that say? That’s total surrender. And even if you go with the supposition that any player UGA wants they get then that still leaves a ton of players for GT to get. And with UGA’s ability to recruit the wrong guy I have no problem with our staff going head to head with Kirbys staff. Gibbs is better than any RB UGA has and Sims is better than any QB UGA has. Give Collins another 3-4 classes and maybe we’ll get over the days of watching our running backs thrown around like rag dolls by UGA linebackers.

Here’s what my crystal ball shows - in 3 years from now the seat on which Kirby sits will be like molten lava. His future as the UGA coach lies in a QB that plays in the private school A ball. Good luck with that one. As Collins continues to work on relationships with GA high school coaches we continue to get more 4 stars and high 3’s and as the UGA fan base turns on Kirby the landscape could change for the first time in a long time.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
As Collins continues to work on relationships with GA high school coaches we continue to get more 4 stars and high 3’s and as the UGA fan base turns on Kirby the landscape could change for the first time in a long time.
It’s going to take a lot more than UGA’s fanbase turning on Kirby to even shift the landscape in the state. Like, several hundred million dollars more to even make a dent. Tech needs to worry about competing with the likes of Miami, South Carolina, Florida State, Auburn, Tennessee, and North Carolina before Georgia and Clemson even become realistic possibilities.

Tech is in a decent position, and with Sims and Gleason in the program with Peery on the way, I think QB will be taken care of. But what matters is the OL, and TE to an extent, and that’s what Georgia excels at recruiting. Until Tech can put together an above average P5 OL it won’t matter who’s taking the snaps.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don’t see it. He’s going through his progressions. Well attempting to.
Bingo. We have to remember that he is a freshman and learning new thongs. Brand new QBs - shoot, even some experienced ones - often have a hard time running through their progressions. I do think he puts a bit too much trust in his release. He can throw, but he's no Namath. He needs the coaches to give him more opportunities to get rid of the ball quickly.

TheJuice's suggestion that we move Camp to TE is one I hope the coaches consider. He could really help Sims there and we sure aren't going to miss the largely non-existent blocking we've seen from that position so far.

Last edited: