Nearly a 2-game winning streak for TECH!!!!

Mr. Keen

Banned
How rare is is for Tech to win 2 games in a row in hoops in the ACC regular season????

After Duke got the sh*t beaten out of them by Miami last week – a fact was reported that Duke hadn’t lost “back-to-back” ACC games (home or away) since February of 2009.

So (because I am demented) I decided to check to see if Tech had won "2-in-a-row" in the ACC Regular Season since February of 2009.

Here are my results:
  • 2009-10 (D Favors year) – only 1 time - Tech started 0-2 then won 2 in a row to make their record 2-2 (finished 7-9)
  • 2011-12 (Hewitt's last year) – only 1 time - Tech was 3-11 then won their last 2 games and finished 5-11
  • 2013-14 (last year) – only 1 time - Tech was 4-12 then won their last 2 to finish 6-12.
Conclusion:

The least two times Tech won 2-in-a-row - it was virtually meaningless - the season was well over.

The only time since February 2009 that Tech won 2-in-a-row that meant anything was just 1 single time - as mentioned above - in 2009-10 when Tech rebounded from an 0-2 start.

To be clear - this covers the following 7 seasons:
  • 2008-09 – 0 times
  • 2009-10 – 1 time
  • 2010-11 – 0 times
  • 2011-12 – 1 time
  • 2012-13 – 0 times
  • 2013-14 – 1 time
  • 2014-15 – 0 times – thus far
My point? I don't know what expectations anyone has for Tech Basketball. But, when it is a major accomplishment to win 2 games in a row in your own conference - the bar is pretty low. That is what Tech Basketball has devolved to.........

P.S. The above is all true / zero fabrication.

P.P.S. In contrast the Tech Football Team this year won 2 games in-a-row multiple times - 4 total:

· Started 2-0

· Lost 2 games

· Then won 2 in-a-row to get to 4-2.

· Then won again to go to 5-2

· Then won again to go to 6-2

That makes 4 times the won 2 games in a row.

Respectfully submitted for your amusement...

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Wow. That just makes it seen worse than it seemed... Which I thought was impossible. We are so void of talent it isn't funny... and on top of that... we can't shoot from anywhere on the floor. It's good to see us competing with good teams... but I'm sick of the moral victories and listening to CBG BS post game interviews. There's only so many ways you can say "we did some things well, and some we didnt" or "We just couldn't execute when it mattered"

Mr. Keen

Banned
Th REAL problem as I see it - is now that the ACC has added several heavy-weight teams (Syracuse, Louisville) and a couple of more solid teams (Pitt & ND) add that to the emergence of UVA - take Duke and UNC - throw in Miami (who seem to be hitting their stride with Larranega) and FSU/ Clemson / State are for the most part solid .500 type teams - where / how is Tech supposed to move up the food chain. V-Tech with Buzz Williams probably will rise up to be a legit .500 type team. Only Wake (not sold on Manning yet) and BC (probably in worse shape than G-Tech) aren't good. My pernt (point): G-Tech's "top end" would seem to be 10-8 ACC regular season team and that would be pushing it. I can't see a scenario where the jackets will EVER be a top third type team. The AD & the Hill have to know this - so it just may be they are content with Tech being a 5-13 / 8-10 type team in the ACC Regular Season. Note: I am basing this on the last 20 years of Tech basketball. There is no "mandate" for tech to have a winning basketball team / hell, the Arena is tiny. Only 200 students (out of 18,000 show up for a game - that is basically like 1 in 200 students showing up.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I am full of "factual evidence" - most of it has been deleted before it becomes available for "public consumption"!

Wrong.

Posts that include things like this below by you have been deleted.

"Not suggesting that a new coach will do better. He may even do worse. But, we know Gregory isn't the answer... that is blatantly obvious.

Not that anyone cares about Tech Basketball anyway......."

"Does anyone REALLY think that there is a coach who can come in here and resurrect the program in today's one-and-done climate?!!?

BE REAL!

If I were a major donor to TECH - I would NEVER invest in Tech Hoops - that is throwing your $$$ down the toilet bowl."

That above is far from "actual evidence and is you bashing Tech for the most part...when you post things with actual facts and not bashing Tech then it doesn't get deleted.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
1- wake is going to be better than us as soon as next season. Manning has shown an ability to recruit.

2-its all about the coach. Virginia was bad until the made a good hire. VT is bad but made a good hire and now ur seeing results that are going to influence thier roster.

You just need a coach. Imagine the mentality of Tech fans before Cremins got here. We have a competent, above average basketball AD. Now we just need him to hire a coach which he has proven he can do.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We have a competent, above average basketball AD. Now we just need him to hire a coach which he has proven he can do.
Guess we're going to test the competency of our AD. He better be as capable as his reputation suggests because this is probably going to be the most difficult task he has ever undertaken. If he can turn us around he going to cash in with some major coin down the road. If he can't he'll be trying to pull off the DR sidestep.

Mr. Keen

Banned
Wrong.

Posts that include things like this below by you have been deleted.

"Not suggesting that a new coach will do better. He may even do worse. But, we know Gregory isn't the answer... that is blatantly obvious.

Not that anyone cares about Tech Basketball anyway......."

"Does anyone REALLY think that there is a coach who can come in here and resurrect the program in today's one-and-done climate?!!?

BE REAL!

If I were a major donor to TECH - I would NEVER invest in Tech Hoops - that is throwing your $$$ down the toilet bowl."

That above is far from "actual evidence and is you bashing Tech for the most part...when you post things with actual facts and not bashing Tech then it doesn't get deleted.

You are for the most part - correct.

But, keep in mind - at least I am posting - most 50-plus year old Tech grads are not posting in basketball forums. Most - from the dozen or so that i keep up with say Tech basketball hasn't been the same since Cremins defected to South Carolina in 1994 - only to return a 48 hours later. And, for the most part (95%) - they are correct. 1994 - is 21 years ago!!!! My lord.

Mr. Keen

Banned
Another thing..... PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE stop complaining about the refereeing - SHEESH!!!!! Mercy! Some calls went against Tech - holy smokes - who could've thunk it. Incredible! Such a total waste of time to complain about referee calls. Move on!

Mr. Keen

Banned
I agree getting the right coach is "all that it takes"! Very simple!!! (Sarcasm)

Question: Does anyone know how many times Tech has been 3 games over .500 (i.e. 4-1 , 6-3, 8-5) - at any one time - in ACC Regular Season Play since 1985-86 (Price and Salley's senior year) - NOT INCLUDING MARBURY'S 1995-96 season. So that is any one of the other 27 seasons including this one????

Answer: Once 1994-95 - Best and Forrest with Harpring were 6-3 - then proceeded to finish 8-8 and turned down an NIT Bid.

This is why there are so precious few fans..................

P.S. I can count on one hand how many times Tech has even been 2 games over .500 - at any one time in the ACC Regular Season - since 1996 (Marbury).
P.P.S. Only twice since 89-90 (Lethal Weapon 3) has Tech not been "on the bubble" to get into the tournament (95-96 & 03-04).

There is a complete lack of a winning culture in basketball at Tech. Georgia is not a basketball state. Atlantans would rather follow the Dream let alone the Hawks over Tech. It is an impossible situation - as evidenced by the total futility of the program in the last 20 years...........

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Alright, now youre just being dumb.

Hoiberg at Iowa St, Miles at Nebraska, Bennett and UVA, Tubby Smith almost everywhere, Lon Kruger, Tommy Amaker, John Beilien.....need i continue? The coach...........the coach gets players, the players make shots, made shots equal points, points win games. (Sarcasm since we're pointing it out)

But we could just go with your theory of hopelessness.

Mr. Keen

Banned
Alright, now youre just being dumb.

Hoiberg at Iowa St, Miles at Nebraska, Bennett and UVA, Tubby Smith almost everywhere, Lon Kruger, Tommy Amaker, John Beilien.....need i continue? The coach...........the coach gets players, the players make shots, made shots equal points, points win games. (Sarcasm since we're pointing it out)

But we could just go with your theory of hopelessness.
Peacone36 - how old are you? Are you 54 like me???? How long have you "suffered"? I want to believe you are right - P.S. Amaker was a failure at Michigan and Seton Hall (Harvard doesn't count) - plus he is a total scum-bag - anyone will tell you that. Is your avatar Tony Soprano? if so, Gandolfini grew up in the next town over from me.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
.... P.P.S. Only twice since 89-90 (Lethal Weapon 3) has Tech not been "on the bubble" to get into the tournament (95-96 & 03-04). ........

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!

Pretty sure that :
05-06 (11 - 17) out
06-07 (20-12) in
08-09 (12 - 19) out
09-10 (23-13) in
10-11 (12 - 13) out
11-12 (11-20) out

All were not "bubble" years. We were either "IN" or "OUT" without being on the bubble.

Regardless, yes too much of the last 20 years we've been - not so great.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
troll.gif

Mr. Keen

Banned
THINK ABOUT THIS...
(Just about) Every year for the last 10-15 years Gonzaga has had an excellent top 20 type team. OK, they haven't made it to the Final 4 - but they routinely have very, very good teams. Their roster is filled with good players (literally) from all around the world. How do they do it - in Spokane? Literally - the middle of nowhere. There is no competition in their league. Yet, they attract all kinds of talent. My point? It is all so stupid.