#NDvsGT 55 to Zero

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I watched the Butch Jones debacle at Tennessee up close a few years ago. Even at the end, he had Peyton Manning and others voicing their confidence. It was only after ex players came out describing what really went on that the tide turned and forced him out.

I think we will see the same thing. Geoff talks about how he reviews every single aspect of the Program every week. But, he doesn't seem to do anything about it. That can frustrate a lot of players who see what is going on with their own eyes.

I hope TStan uses this opportunity to hire an actual football coach next time. Someone who actually has experience doing the job. He clearly screwed the pooch on this one.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Our Athletic Department needs to learn from the steps that former AD Homer Rice made after hiring Bill Lewis after Bobby Ross left to coach the San Diego Chargers. OC Ralph Friedgen said that he and DC George O’Leary wouldn’t follow Ross if either one was made head coach. Neither had head coaching experience, so Rice made what he thought was a safer choice in hiring Lewis.

It wasn’t long before Rice recognized that Lewis wasn’t up to the job, and hired George O’Leary as DC in the summer of 1994. O’Leary became interim HC before the end of the season. Friedgen returned to GT as OC in 1997 and the rest is history. Bill Lewis who lives in infamy today only coached two full seasons and 7 games, because Homer Rice accepted his mistake and corrected it in a timely manner.

Homer Rice in some manner was able to get Bill Lewis to resign as Head Coach and accept another position in the Athletic Department. Lewis appeared to be happy with the change.

Last edited:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Our Athletic Department needs to learn from the steps that former AD Homer Rice made after hiring Bill Lewis after Bobby Ross left to coach the San Diego Chargers. OC Ralph Friedgen said that he and DC George O’Leary wouldn’t follow Ross if either one was made head coach. Neither had head coaching experience, so Rice made what he thought was a safer choice in hiring Lewis.

It wasn’t long before Rice recognized that Lewis wasn’t up to the job, and hired George O’Leary as DC in the summer of 1994. O’Leary became interim HC before the end of the season. Friedgen returned to GT as OC in 1997 and the rest is history. Bill Lewis who lives in infamy today only coached two full seasons and 7 games, because Homer Rice accepted his mistake and corrected it in a timely manner.
Homer had been a successful coach on his own. TStan was a tutor. I don't see TStan as having the backbone to make a tough decision. I think he will do his best to ride out the contract and hope for the best. (Just look at the GTAA Strategic Plan. Almost no mention of football. Why? He doesn't want to talk about it.)

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Don't forget Kim King was the reason O'Leary came back to Tech

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
not sure what kind of answer you're supposed to give there. you lose 55-0, and don't look as good as that score doing it, and you get a question asking what you say to boosters and fans to make them believe you're still the guy?

sh1t question at the wrong time. his answer, to me, felt like a "we'll deal with that after next week" response, which is all he can really say.

the thing to see will be: will he deal with it after next week?

If not, then maybe he needs to prepare an answer, because he will hear it every week.
No prepared answer just speak from the heart- the truth- Something like “we are not getting the job done- we are working extremely hard to get better- I appreciate the fans and boosters who support us- please don’t give up on these kids”. How hard is it to say that. It would be easy for me if I were making $3 million a year

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
There are teams with our same budget, that aren’t factories, with “lower rated” recruiting classes, that are running the same offensive and defensive schemes we are, and going to bowls and having good seasons.

Look at Pitt, for instance. Most of the teams going to bowls this year, and last year, fit in that category.

I’d love watching a coastal carolina offense, or a flexbone, but scheme is not the major problem—it’s “assignment football”. We still need to do that in any scheme.
I think every team in the ACC other than Tech and Duke are bowl eligible or have a chance to be this coming week. That’s where GT is at as a program.

GTcanWINagain

Banned

Homer Rice in some manner was able to get Bill Lewis to resign as Head Coach and accept another position in the Athletic Department. Lewis appeared to be happy with the change.
Rice took ownership of his mistake and solved the problem. Stansbury “sees progress” so there is no mistake in his mind. Our two ADs are different leaders…

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Homer had been a successful coach on his own. TStan was a tutor. I don't see TStan as having the backbone to make a tough decision. I think he will do his best to ride out the contract and hope for the best. (Just look at the GTAA Strategic Plan. Almost no mention of football. Why? He doesn't want to talk about it.)
But he does also know that his job is on the line. Unlike a lot of others, I think Stansbury is more capable than the vast majority of our previous ADs since Rice. I think he’ll make the tough decision because he’s starting to see the writing on the wall for this coach…and this for his own role.

Or at least I hope that’s the case.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
But he does also know that his job is on the line. Unlike a lot of others, I think Stansbury is more capable than the vast majority of our previous ADs since Rice. I think he’ll make the tough decision because he’s starting to see the writing on the wall for this coach…and this for his own role.

Or at least I hope that’s the case.
I don't think so. In my 50 years of association with the Institute, I have rarely seen accountability, especially when it comes to athletics. Cabrera won't want to fire Stansbury because that means he has to own it. No, he'll avoid it as well.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't think so. In my 50 years of association with the Institute, I have rarely seen accountability, especially when it comes to athletics. Cabrera won't want to fire Stansbury because that means he has to own it. No, he'll avoid it as well.
This is the real issue. Not schemes. Not attendance. Not the curriculum or calculus. To the powers that be at GT, athletics is a pastime or an afterthought. Thhere has been no instituitional will for excellence. When it has happened it has happened in spite of the school on the backs of exceptional men....Rice, Ross and Cremins are on that short list. Everything starts (or stops) at the top.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
This is the real issue. Not schemes. Not attendance. Not the curriculum or calculus. To the powers that be at GT, athletics is a pastime or an afterthought. Thhere has been no instituitional will for excellence. When it has happened it has happened in spite of the school on the backs of exceptional men....Rice, Ross and Cremins are on that short list. Everything starts (or stops) at the top.
Add PJ to the list.

Some of y'all hate the option so much that you'll pass on a proven coach because he runs the option, even though he is willing to run other offenses. Monken would likely come here and win regardless of offense

I completely agree with your point regarding the schools willingness to support the team correctly.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Add PJ to the list.

Some of y'all hate the option so much that you'll pass on a proven coach because he runs the option, even though he is willing to run other offenses. Monken would likely come here and win regardless of offense

I completely agree with your point regarding the schools willingness to support the team correctly.
Are you responding to me or is that in general? I had no issues with CPJ when he was here. My biggest critique (and one that keeps him off that short list imo) was that he could not or would not fix the D or ST's. I am not trying to reopen that can of worms as I am sure I have heard or read everything that there is to be said on that topic. I am not a CPJ or TO "hater". He did a fine job when he was here. If you want to add him to the your list, by all means do so. It's not a topic worth debating though to me.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

I should add: Homer Rice made some big mistakes. Every person in a leadership position, bar none, will do that. The measure of a true leader is whether or not they correct those mistakes (and how).

While I disagreed with moving away from CPJ’s coaching tree, I supported Collins from the get-go…until he demonstrated he wasn’t up for the job.

I feel the same way about TStan. Everyone makes mistakes - seems like CGC was one. Now is the time for Stansbury to step up. I’m hopeful he will - history will measure him on that. But we’ll see. The ball is in his court now. Let’s hope he picks it up and drives to the hoop.

(Obligatory analogy, since we’re apparently a basketball school now.)

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Are you responding to me or is that in general? I had no issues with CPJ when he was here. My biggest critique (and one that keeps him off that short list imo) was that he could not or would not fix the D or ST's. I am not trying to reopen that can of worms as I am sure I have heard or read everything that there is to be said on that topic. I am not a CPJ or TO "hater". He did a fine job when he was here. If you want to add him to the your list, by all means do so. It's not a topic worth debating though to me.
In general. I was agreeing with your post, then mind went on a tangent regarding our situation.

I merely was pointing out that lots on here are dismissing Monken because they don't want to see the option again, which is silly by itself. But then when you think about how Monken had stated his willingness to change offenses, it gets magnified.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
While we were getting our a$$es handed to us, I was thinking about good coaching versus bad coaching.

A good coach, regardless of talent, finds a way to make his players above their talent. It's very rare GT ever has a talent advantage. This has been going on for as long as I've been a GT fan (think early 1990's when I was a kid). But I've always felt our coaching was good enough, and we had enough talent to make a game of it against the vast majority of teams. We may not have won, and sometimes we got our behinds kicked. It happens. There have been many times where I thought we would lose and GT ended up winnning. Ross, O'Leary, Gailey, Johnson....they all had games where I thought we had almost no chance and took our band of undertalented kids and won.

Unfortunately, when the coaching is bad, and you're not coaching up to the talent you have, scores like yesterday happens. Even more unfortunate, it's happened often enough for CGC that I've now given into the fact that with CGC, it's now a matter of "when", not "if". Ultimately, I just don't now see how this will work out for CGC. I would 100% like to be proven wrong about this, but one thing that kept repeating in my head yesterday is if GT is playing against a good team (not necessarily ND), and our coach can't take one of the most talented rosters we've had in the last decade, and can't even make a decent game of it, it just doesn't bode well for us down the road. It looked like men versus boys out there...and I'm referring to the coaching, not our players.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
No one is rooting against him. We all want to win. And opinions DO NOT interfere with his coaching one bit. No matter how negative the fan base is C****** has 5 working days to prepare his team for UGA. Our feelings do not hurt nor help him at all. Just like none of our opinions or feelings helped the Braves win. The coaches and players prepare how they want and then they own the results. I want him to beat UGA and then sign four 5 star players. Just because I want that doesn’t mean it will happen. He controls his fate not us.
No one over say age 7 would type C*******. Grow up

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Sadly, it was kind of funny when they put that on the boob tube. Big drop from previous 22 years when we did go to 20 bowl games. The only bowl our prayers will be seeing will be the toilet.
Those players, top to bottom, have quit on Collins. 55-0 with a worse beating coming up -- Georgia, in addition to the long-standing rivalry, is going to be pouring it on to make sure it is ranked No, 1 for the NC series -- is the only proof one needs. If he keeps the job it will be because the buyout is too great or the AD just will not look in the mirror and say, "I screwed up and as embarrassing as it is, I have to admit it."

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is the real issue. Not schemes. Not attendance. Not the curriculum or calculus. To the powers that be at GT, athletics is a pastime or an afterthought. There has been no institutional will for excellence. When it has happened it has happened in spite of the school on the backs of exceptional men....Rice, Ross and Cremins are on that short list. Everything starts (or stops) at the top.

The rhetorical question I have is why should we even have a football program at GT? We went through this before and Kim King rescued the program.

I believe it adds immensely to the college experience; but to many other Alum I know think its just a side show and irrelevant. I think that is that attitude with many other college's Alum. It doesn't enhance their degree value and they didn't care about football when going through college.