ND's Kelly on cut blocks

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
A reporter once asked Vince Lombardi what would happen if the opposing team ran a triple option offense against him. He said, "We would be totally embarrassed and look like a bunch of monkeys."

Actually, Lombardi said that specifically about the single-wing offense. Reportedly, some 20 years later in the 1980s, Bill Walsh said that "those [single-wing] blocking schemes would just chew up NFL defenses." The Steelers were the last NFL team to use the single wing, giving it up in the early 1950s.

Lombardi. Walsh. Pffff. What did those guys really know about football anyway? ;)

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
About our cut blocks, I'm not sold that we are so much better at it this year or not. We are probably a little better, but I think the big difference is the speed and decisiveness of JT. With him running the offense compared to Vad, our blockers don't have to be so precise or hold their blocks as long for them to be effective. We have the triple option play in the offense again and it's pretty darn hard to defend when read correctly and at the speed at which we execute it. Perfect blocking not required.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
About our cut blocks, I'm not sold that we are so much better at it this year or not. We are probably a little better, but I think the big difference is the speed and decisiveness of JT. With him running the offense compared to Vad, our blockers don't have to be so precise or hold their blocks as long for them to be effective. We have the triple option play in the offense again and it's pretty darn hard to defend when read correctly and at the speed at which we execute it. Perfect blocking not required.
Need to agree then disagree . JT is great to block for as is Perkins and shoddy ( they just takeoff running their lanes and assume the blocks will be there.

I am referring to the more upright, hip flex position and are position of the blocker that gives him less time to prepare for the cut block. we are doing great on drive blocks 71 and 70 with others getting their guys low.

We will need all hands on deck when they stop JT and outside - great plays from coach and passes by jt!