ND vs Navy 2014

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
You can watch the game at the link below

http://noonkick.com/2014-navy-vs-notre-dame/

The defense for ND was not what we typically see. They put 8 in the box with a single safety look against the base flex formation.

The first look was 4 down linemen with a LB lined up at each AB. The safety and the MLB were lined up shallow.

The second look was a 3-4 alignment with 8 in the box.

We have seen these alignments before. Navy had a hard time blocking the edge, and getting separation in man coverage.

Navy was more overmatched by the ND offense than anything else.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You can watch the game at the link below

http://noonkick.com/2014-navy-vs-notre-dame/

The defense for ND was not what we typically see. They put 8 in the box with a single safety look against the base flex formation.

The first look was 4 down linemen with a LB lined up at each AB. The safety and the MLB were lined up shallow.

The second look was a 3-4 alignment with 8 in the box.

We have seen these alignments before. Navy had a hard time blocking the edge, and getting separation in man coverage.

Navy was more overmatched by the ND offense than anything else.

good find.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I guess you have to pick your poison. If I were on the defensive side I would test our AB blocking initially and see if they can hold up. I would try to force the pitch. Most DCs will try to pick on the youngest players. Sometimes you end up looking silly though.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hope they try that again. JT will have a field day through the air. Gonna be tough to stop us. ND understands they will need to play a great game offensively to keep up. It isn't a mystery. Kelly sees the challenge the way it truly is. I expect they will play well and give us a real good test.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
Heard Rob Mckenzie on the radio today. Mentioned he heard ND will be aligned in some 4-4-3 looks and said we might can exploit that with passes to the abacks up the seam.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I watched the film earlier today. I am most interested in seeing the action between CPJ and Van Gorder. Not because of the fussing between them, but because both have a lot of history coaching offense and defense and the matchup should be interesting- my notes from Navy game
- VG started with a 4-4 but quickly moved to almost a 3-5 that could be called a 3-4. It was shaped like a dome with 3 down linemen, 3 inside linebackers back a bit and 2 outside linebackers closer to the line but in an up stance just outside the tackles. The down linemen were over the center and tackles straight up. Kind of strange because VG has always been more of a 4 man line guy.
- The 3 linebackers in the middle were constantly run blitzing and going through the holes left open from a pulling lineman - usually guard, sometimes tackle
- When you see the defense you think you should have success with the Bback as long as you get a good block on the noseman but in reality due to the run blitz of the linebackers, Navy's bback had limited success. Hard to block blitzing linebackers. It should be noted Navy scored 38 points however.
- The announcer said ND was going with the change to 3 down linemen to stop the perimeter. I have a feeling VG told him that. In reality, Navy had a lot of success pitching to the perimeter because 1) they had success with arch blocks by their tackles on the linebackers, and 2) the linebackers could not get out to the pitch in time before Navy hit the corner.
- Navy also went a lot with a formation that split one of their Abacks out wide. This resulted in 7 men in the box instead of 8 for Notre Dame as a result of one of the outside LBers having to go out with him.
- Navy also ran the Aback quick hitter counter play several times that we have seen CPJ use in the past. It worked pretty well given ND was flowing hard to the ball and there was no down lineman over the guard hole. But still the most success was with the pitch and sometimes a very quick pitch by the QB because ND was crashing the outside linebackers.

So in summary
Will VG run this same defense? Why wouldn't he? It is what he concocted last year for a CPJ disciple. Or will he go with his more conventional 4 man line.

How will CPJ attack it? He may believe try the middle early because there is some room in there with no linemen over the guards. He will then look for them crashing and go wide. By the way, Navy had some nice passes and wide open receivers deep at times given ND was crashing and were in man-to-man coverage.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I have every confidence GT can move the ball against ND, even though they have a freak LB and a REALLY good DL. The talent they have isn't different from what we've seen from VT, UGA, Clemson, and FSU teams every year. In fact, I would say some of those teams were far more talented than what we'll face Saturday. We have a veteran QB and group of OLs who have been battle tested against those talented teams, so I think we can handle their front 7.

To me, the key to the game is our defense versus their offense. Everyone keeps talking about their freshmen QB who has to take over for Malik Zaire, but people forget they have a really good group of OLs, two of whom will be high draft picks next spring. They have two really good WRs, and a good RB. If we can stop the run, we'll force the freshmen QB to make plays in the air and with his legs. If we can't stop their run game, I think we'll be trading scores all day because Brian Kelley's offense can keep us off balance.

Navy has been able to score and move the ball against ND the last two seasons, the problem for Navy has always been stopping the other side with far less talent.
2014 - ND 49 - Navy 39
2013 - ND 38 - Navy 34

ND fans will agree, the guys we have are FAR more talented than Navy, and we have a pretty experienced group of guys on defense this year.

Our offense will be fine. It would shock me if we didn't score 35+ Saturday...and it wouldn't surprise me if ND scored 35+ on us either. While we're busy talking about our offense and CPJ against BVG, the real matchup will be on the other side of the ball for us.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have every confidence GT can move the ball against ND, even though they have a freak LB and a REALLY good DL. The talent they have isn't different from what we've seen from VT, UGA, Clemson, and FSU teams every year. In fact, I would say some of those teams were far more talented than what we'll face Saturday. We have a veteran QB and group of OLs who have been battle tested against those talented teams, so I think we can handle their front 7.

To me, the key to the game is our defense versus their offense. Everyone keeps talking about their freshmen QB who has to take over for Malik Zaire, but people forget they have a really good group of OLs, two of whom will be high draft picks next spring. They have two really good WRs, and a good RB. If we can stop the run, we'll force the freshmen QB to make plays in the air and with his legs. If we can't stop their run game, I think we'll be trading scores all day because Brian Kelley's offense can keep us off balance.

Navy has been able to score and move the ball against ND the last two seasons, the problem for Navy has always been stopping the other side with far less talent.
2014 - ND 49 - Navy 39
2013 - ND 38 - Navy 34

ND fans will agree, the guys we have are FAR more talented than Navy, and we have a pretty experienced group of guys on defense this year.

Our offense will be fine. It would shock me if we didn't score 35+ Saturday...and it wouldn't surprise me if ND scored 35+ on us either. While we're busy talking about our offense and CPJ against BVG, the real matchup will be on the other side of the ball for us.[/QUOTE

I agree - still will be fun to watch two old pro's CPJ vs VG

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
They are starting a converted WR at RB correct? Look for his ball security skills to be put to the test

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
It will be interesting to see how aggressive Kelly gets on offense. I suspect they will try to get the ball to their stud WR. It will be interesting to see if Roof plays man coverage on him.