ND Linebacker on GT

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Let em be focused, I guarantee our boys are too. I think we are a good enough team right now that we don't have to sneak up on teams to beat them.

The more I think about the game, the more I think it's going to be a knock down drag out fight between two great/prepared teams. I think we are in for a helluva ride, just hope the good guys come out on top.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Not to be too cynical about it but you can now move me into the camp of those who think Notre Dame is trying to set Tech up with all of these compliments and accolades being directed our way.

Having said that, wasn't this comment about his injury against Navy's option rather refreshing?
“That’s the game of football. And injuries happen. So I would never put it on a scheme or a player. It wasn’t malicious. The people from Navy were not malicious. They were just playing the game and I was playing the game, and things happen,” Schmidt talked about the frequency of injuries against the option.
The injury comment was refreshing, but I could not help thinking of injuries to Tech players and some board comments. But worse to me, right now, is that you are right about setting the table. I'm not worried about a Skov or Thomas -- and maybe Skov can help keep things level -- but those 8-10 freshmen who are playing, those 18 and 19-year-olds who might believe what they are hearing. It probably makes no difference what your coach says, it is easy to balloon when an opponent begins the full body massage. Kelly obviously is very good at controlling the message his players send. We'll see Saturday afternoon.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
The injury comment was refreshing, but I could not help thinking of injuries to Tech players and some board comments. But worse to me, right now, is that you are right about setting the table. I'm not worried about a Skov or Thomas -- and maybe Skov can help keep things level -- but those 8-10 freshmen who are playing, those 18 and 19-year-olds who might believe what they are hearing. It probably makes no difference what your coach says, it is easy to balloon when an opponent begins the full body massage. Kelly obviously is very good at controlling the message his players send. We'll see Saturday afternoon.
That's where you need solid veteran leadership to help keep the young kids' heads on straight, and I think we have that. I love the attitude of this team so far...have to see how they handle adversity but it looks and sounds positive at this point.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The more I think about the game, the more I think it's going to be a knock down drag out fight between two great/prepared teams. I think we are in for a helluva ride, just hope the good guys come out on top.

That's interesting. I don't have a feeling for this game at all. On the one hand, I have a much more positive view of ND's team from their first two games than many seem to have. On the other hand, I think that we are already a better team this year than at the end of last, when we humiliated a pretty good MissSt team.

Obviously, it's too early to know the impact of the quality (or lack thereof) of the competition on these perceptions of the two teams after two games.

However, the more I think about it, the more I think that our offense is good enough to execute whatever CPJ throws at them, and that he'll be able to out-think BVG. If our D can get some stops (and I think they will), we should win, and could win comfortably.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That's interesting. I don't have a feeling for this game at all. On the one hand, I have a much more positive view of ND's team from their first two games than many seem to have. On the other hand, I think that we are already a better team this year than at the end of last, when we humiliated a pretty good MissSt team.

Obviously, it's too early to know the impact of the quality (or lack thereof) of the competition on these perceptions of the two teams after two games.

However, the more I think about it, the more I think that our offense is good enough to execute whatever CPJ throws at them, and that he'll be able to out-think BVG. If our D can get some stops (and I think they will), we should win, and could win comfortably.
This is my take as well.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
This scares me the most. Outright respect means they are going to be focused.
Your thoughts are mine exactly! We have a quality bunch of players and to me is our strength. This ND captain's remarks make me worry more than their athleticism. If they have anything close to the team charisma, character, and team cohesiveness as our young men do, then it is going to a tough battle for sure.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
That's where you need solid veteran leadership to help keep the young kids' heads on straight, and I think we have that. I love the attitude of this team so far...have to see how they handle adversity but it looks and sounds positive at this point.
These new guys have shown themselves well. Although the first two games were not against D1 competition, they both have athletes and our men responded focused. Lack of mistakes show that. "TIME TO TURN THESE YELLOW JACKETS LOOSE!!!!

JacketintheBend

Georgia Tech Fan
I expect this to be a verry close game with a lot of BS flags going against us.
Again why let the truth get in the way of a good story. ACC refs on field and in the booth Saturday.
If anyone should be afraid of questionable calls from ACC refs when playing a marquee ACC team ...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Maybe he can read Homer to them, that part of Sirens luring unsuspecting sailors to shipwreck on the rocks. That should, as DIs once loved to say, get their minds right.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
On the other hand, I think that we are already a better team this year than at the end of last, when we humiliated a pretty good MissSt team.
I hope you are right.
My feelings are slightly different. I think we have a much more talented team than the one that humiliated Miss St, but I am not sure we are clicking yet on all cylinders they way that team was. It is a team that looks like it still has a lot to learn.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Opinion on blocking: Some injuries come from blocking, whether it is option football or other. One significant reason our offense is successful is that WE BLOCK, probably better than most any other team. Our WRs and ABs in particular are blockers, a requirement to get on the field. Teams have OLs that block but their backs and ends do not block like ours. Also our OL does more second level blocking than most teams. Probability of injury goes up the more you get blocked. CPJ could run another O scheme and still demand that everybody block and I bet he would.....he understands football. We are a blocking machine and do it from this particular spread option scheme.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Their cornerback, Keivarae Russell has also spoken: "Again, nothing against them but they haven’t played nobody like Notre Dame." and this:
To stop a team like that we’ve just got to match their intensity, because they’re going to come out intense and really try to run it down our throats, and I think if we match their intensity and match their discipline, I think we can beat these guys because I think we’re better athletes. I think we’re stronger. I think we’re faster. I think overall, especially like I said, we’re going to be the best team they play ...
(other quotes not included for effect)

Animal02

Banned
I, for one, appreciate class when I see it. I don't think it warrants this type of response. Also, if you are going to the game, you'd enjoy some of the best hospitality you'd ever see as an opposing fan. Funny how this happens at a school everybody loves to hate. Some hate them worse than the dwags. Go figure.
He is obviously a smart kid......you don't give your opponent locker room bulletin board material.

SavannahBee

Georgia Tech Fan
I was bragging on this site to a friend the other day, describing the membership here as knowledgeable, super friendly, and extremely classy compared to any other team boards I visit. I love that the vast majority on this board stay above the trashiness exhibited in so many other places and engage in mutually respectful dialogue, whether we agree on a subject or not.

As to that kid's comments, it is refreshing to read, and has a familiar ring to it. Like our own recent and current roster of players, showing class and respect.

As to the ND fan base, based on my experience, they are a friendly and classy lot, akin to our own. I remember fondly the post game festivities with Tech and ND fans mixing and socializing after the Gator Bowl at Jacksonville Landing. Good times were had by all.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Their cornerback, Keivarae Russell has also spoken: "Again, nothing against them but they haven’t played nobody like Notre Dame." and this:
To stop a team like that we’ve just got to match their intensity, because they’re going to come out intense and really try to run it down our throats, and I think if we match their intensity and match their discipline, I think we can beat these guys because I think we’re better athletes. I think we’re stronger. I think we’re faster. I think overall, especially like I said, we’re going to be the best team they play ...
Now that shows an uncharacteristic lack of discipline. Can' imagine that Brian Kelly would not be furious with one of his players for giving that kind of locker room material.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Russell is the ND player who went over and got in his freshman kicker's face toward the end of the UVA game with the kid facing a potential game deciding kick. Lots of intensity but not the smartest guy on the Irish squad.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ said it best when he said " we are going there to play football, if you want to sight see, do it some other time". Or something like that.
Focus is what we will be. Times like this are when we find our true leaders.
The ones who keep the glassy eyed underclassmen on tazk.
Agree, this is straight business.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Can someone tweet a link to this to gt athletics or Paul or an asst

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Now that shows an uncharacteristic lack of discipline. Can' imagine that Brian Kelly would not be furious with one of his players for giving that kind of locker room material.
So you're saying he probably looked like this?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442582261.648575.jpg