ND @ GT 8pm est ACCn 2/6 [TONIGHT]

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I'm surprised we're not talking more about the full court press.

Is it the single most important change we've seen on the floor since the re-boot in game three?

I hope we see more of it selectively as it plays to this team's strengths (defensive chaos) and actually is a great complement for our personnel and overall style -- but oh boy we could get in foul trouble in a hurry.

/

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm surprised we're not talking more about the full court press.

Is it the single most important change we've seen on the floor since the re-boot in game three?

I hope we see more of it selectively as it plays to this team's strengths (defensive chaos) and actually is a great complement for our personnel and overall style -- but oh boy we could get in foul trouble in a hurry.

/

Staff probably saw something against ND they liked with the press. With a short bench, and a marathon schedule coming up, I wouldn't expect us to do that every game.

In terms of ND, that press got us going in the 2nd half.

slugboy

Staff member
Staff probably saw something against ND they liked with the press. With a short bench, and a marathon schedule coming up, I wouldn't expect us to do that every game.

In terms of ND, that press got us going in the 2nd half.
I saw the press and thought it was a “burn every calorie you have to slow down their scoring” strategy, since in the first half we weren’t stopping anything. That’s easier with a deeper bench though—FSU used it against us.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I expect they went to the press for a couple of things. one when you're getting your arse handed to you you want to do anything you can to change up the whole tone and tenor of the game and that usually means going to a press. Second, while the couple of turnovers we got were great, the key thing it did was make ND start their sets in the half court with a little less time and in a slightly " jumbled" fashion as a secondary ball handler was in control of the ball after moving it to beat the press. Harder to dictate Hubb and say Durham running pick and roll exactly where they wanted it.

To be clear though, I doubt this game looks good on any defensive metrics. But the press did just enough to get a few stops and transition baskets that allowed the offense to catch up.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I said in chat at the time I hoped we would go to a press and then a few plays later we did. Helps my bias, but I think CJP is a better coach them some of the folks in this board give him credit for.
The way we got eaten alive by the back side screen for easy dunks and layups was frustrating but sometimes you have to chose what to do based on two bad options. When they’re shouting above 70% the answer CAN’T be leave a shooter open behind the arc to slide down and help protect the lane. We did what he thought we had to and weathered the freakish shooting streak they were on. The other thing it did was keep them uncomfortable after the second half started and they saw some good looks not fall.

The press was beautiful but won’t be sustainable given our bench. Nice to put it on tape though and make some coaches think about it. We are a tough out to score on and I like showing it to good effect.

Finally, say what you will about substitution patterns, playing guys with high foul counts or sticking with the guys who go cold on O but deliver on D Coach has got our boys playing as well as could be expected. This team is a lot of fun to watch and we are finally seeing a style to CJP over the last half of last season and this full one. Aggressive defense, 4/5 out O sets with an attack attack attack violent set of slashing cuts. I dig it. Would love to see one of our Big’s come on strong to give us some rim protection beyond Moses but that’s my only real gripe with this team.

Go jackets! Chug some Gatorade, grab some epsom salt and ice baths and let’s go get after the next one.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
FWIW in the second half here our ND's stats

30 points on 52% shooting 20% behind the arc with 9 turnovers

The % is still too high, but the point total is good, and the turnovers go a long way towards keeping their scoring low despite a good % but also helping our own offense get going. I wouldn't say our defense was good in the second half, but it did a lot of good things and was closer to our normal effectiveness than the first half.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Definitely agree with this! Could you imagine if Howard, Meka and Saba put in the same effort as Moses to go along with the teaching, what they could become?

In the small glimpses we've seen of Howard and Saba (who I like the nickname Gigi lol), both give good effort. They're not as polished as Moses in terms of sklllset and playing within our system. That will come. Everyone remember Moses his Freshmen and Sophomore year? He actually got in trouble for not giving the effort that's equal to his talent. Fast forward to his JR and SR year and it all clicked for him. Physically, Howard and Gigi both have it in terms of size, length, and athleticism. Gigi needs to get stronger, and Howard just needs more minutes. They have no choice next season. Along with Meka, they will be our post guys if we don't have anyone transferring in.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Remember all the complaints about Devoe driving the lane?

He did it again with 35 seconds to go.

Good chance we lose without it.

I think the complaints were specifically Devoe driving the lane and picking up his dribble with nowhere to go. Devoe driving the lane and attacking the basket is a whole different story and a much better outcome.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I think the complaints were specifically Devoe driving the lane and picking up his dribble with nowhere to go. Devoe driving the lane and attacking the basket is a whole different story and a much better outcome.

That's like saying the complaints about Moses shooting threes are specifically about the ones he misses.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That's like saying the complaints about Moses shooting threes are specifically about the ones he misses.

No, it's not.

Picking up the dribble in the middle of the lane and looking around for help giving the defense time to double team him is completely different than driving to the basket being aggressive.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'll bet a lot of money he's never driven the ball with the intent of having nowhere to go.

I bet you're 100% correct on that...I doubt he means to, but I'll also bet he's more cognizant of being more aggressive and not letting the defense double down on him when he picks up his dribble.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Remember all the complaints about Devoe driving the lane?

He did it again with 35 seconds to go.

Good chance we lose without it.
Glad he made it but I really don’t like like Mike dribbling into double or triple teams in the lane & picking up his dribble. Would rather he shoots before stop dribbling or passes.