NCAA Regional Projections

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like we are just short of securing a host site. Need more good work. A win Tuesday would go a long way towards helping.

@GTNavyNuke, if we win @UGa then lose one of our weekend games against BC, how does that play out in the RPI calculations?

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like we are just short of securing a host site. Need more good work. A win Tuesday would go a long way towards helping.

@GTNavyNuke, if we win @UGa then lose one of our weekend games against BC, how does that play out in the RPI calculations?

3-1 might be enough to tread water but might have us fall. RPI is heavily weighted towards opponent’s record. So BC being 15-17 doesn’t help us. We’re gonna have to win a lot of games down the stretch to maintain Top 20 RPI given our weak SOS remaining. I guess the good news is there’s a good chance we can do that.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
To me... the "best path" to hosting is winning the Coastal at this point. That carries with it the #2 seed (worst case) in the ACC tournament. If we do that, the committee cannot give Louisville a host slot ahead of Tech (unless UL is #1 seed... which would help Tech even more).

The ACC should have at least 4 teams hosting... someone said already... right now that's the Coastal champ, NCST, UL, CLEM.

MIA has tiebreaker over us. Nobody else in Coastal does at this point. Need MIA to remain behind us.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
To me... the "best path" to hosting is winning the Coastal at this point. That carries with it the #2 seed (worst case) in the ACC tournament. If we do that, the committee cannot give Louisville a host slot ahead of Tech (unless UL is #1 seed... which would help Tech even more).

The ACC should have at least 4 teams hosting... someone said already... right now that's the Coastal champ, NCST, UL, CLEM.

MIA has tiebreaker over us. Nobody else in Coastal does at this point. Need MIA to remain behind us.
Well then the next two weekends should tell the tale.

While we visit BC and Virginia Tech, Miami visits Virginia followed by a visit to Louisville. We ought to pick up 2 or 3 games on them in the standings during these two weekends.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here is something sobering from D1 Baseball chat today;
"Is the AAC shaping up to only send 2 or 3 teams to regionals?

Kendall Rogers 2:12 Rig ht now, the AAC would be a two-bid league. Could something change down the stretch? Absolutely."

I think and hope he means hosting. And then Aaron Fitt said that as it stands now both UGAg and GT could be hosting. Piss on them tomorrow.

I can't see that far in advance. One of the big problems is that GT is in a bubble with a bunch of other teams close ahead and close behind. To get perspective, UCLA is 580 points ahead and #299 Saint Peter's (I wish it were ND) is 2,684 points behind.

With that, the spread from #12 Miss St (+20) to #19 Clemson (-35) is only 55 points. So there is a lot more room to fall than move up.

To your question. UGAg is 162 points ahead of us and we play them there. A loss doesn't hurt much (tomorrow the exact numbers) but a win is huge. BC is 569 points below us, but fortunately we play them there. I think if we go 2-1 over BC we lost some points, but the win over UGAg more than makes up for it due to the home field differential. Just a guess.

From a sentimental bias, piss on them. I'll trade a UGAg loss to us for one to BC any day.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Here is something sobering from D1 Baseball chat today;
"Is the AAC shaping up to only send 2 or 3 teams to regionals?

Kendall Rogers 2:12 Rig ht now, the AAC would be a two-bid league. Could something change down the stretch? Absolutely."

I think and hope he means hosting. And then Aaron Fitt said that as it stands now both UGAg and GT could be hosting.
I think he is talking about the American Athletic Conference (UConn, ECU, Tulane, etc), not the ACC.

I look forward to your educational posts on the RPI...