NCAA explores compensation for names, likeness

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
You guys like to use the “student” of SA only when it’s convenient. What’s preventing any other student on campus from gettting a book deal being compensated for it?

Nothing except nobody is willing to pay them for it for normal students.

But SAs aren't normal students. Almost nothing about their experience is the same as a normal student. From the very start they don't go through the same admissions as a normal student. They don't go through the same class sign up process as a normal student. They don't have the same housing, academic, or food services as a normal student. They also don't have to take student loans like many normal students.

SAs aren't normal students. They get far more benefits of a normal student. That comes at the cost of more restrictions.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When a student accepts a scholarhip, they agree to abide be the rules of the scholarship. It's a contract they enter into willingly. If they disagree with enough aspects of the contract, they are free to decline it. They can go play in a myriad of minor leagues or other professional leagues not called the NFL for two years then apply for the NFL draft. Remember the NFL is also a party to this as they will not take players for two years after highschool.

Ah yes. The old "they can go play professionally instead" cop out.

Nobody's saying to not abide by rules. What's being said is that the underlying rules are antiquated and unfair when there's a clear market value for many types of student-athletes, not just football & men's basketball, and they are prohibited from tapping in to that market value.

And let me make this overall statement of belief that I'm not aiming at you @dressedcheeseside...

I'm of a firm belief that Georgia Tech fans, as well as the fans of many other schools, lean on the rules of amateurism because they know the day that an olympic model or free market model reigns over college athletics, they'll be unwilling to properly support the needs of their school's athletic endeavors, probably because they're too cheap to do so.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Nothing except nobody is willing to pay them for it for normal students.

But SAs aren't normal students. Almost nothing about their experience is the same as a normal student. From the very start they don't go through the same admissions as a normal student. They don't go through the same class sign up process as a normal student. They don't have the same housing, academic, or food services as a normal student. They also don't have to take student loans like many normal students.

SAs aren't normal students. They get far more benefits of a normal student. That comes at the cost of more restrictions.

Well stated. I certainly hope the committee doesn’t overlook or disregard this.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
When a student accepts a scholarhip, they agree to abide be the rules of the scholarship. It's a contract they enter into willingly. If they disagree with enough aspects of the contract, they are free to decline it. They can go play in a myriad of minor leagues or other professional leagues not called the NFL for two years then apply for the NFL draft. Remember the NFL is also a party to this as they will not take players for two years after highschool.

I also believe a college scholarship is nothing to sneeze at. Millions of kids would love a free ride with all the perks afforded SA's. They also get a stage on which to showcase their abilities to the league. They are far from the indentured servants so many like to portray them as.

If we are being totally honest, many SA's would have trouble getting accepted into college on their academic record alone.

C'mon. You know there are no legit minor leagues that serve as a pipeline for the NFL. Arena ball is basically a completely different game. How many guys get drafted out of the CFL? It's college football or bust.

Perhaps there should be other options, but there aren't.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Isn't it already pretty concentrated at the top now? How much more concentrated is it gonna get than Bama, UGA, Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan, & USC or whatever every year?
Sorry i didnt define top.
Just my gut feel is top 25 get way more tv viewers than next 25.
The top 25 take about 500 recruits a year.
Would almost all of the top recruits be further concentrated there?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sorry i didnt define top.
Just my gut feel is top 25 get way more tv viewers than next 25.
The top 25 take about 500 recruits a year.
Would almost all of the top recruits be further concentrated there?

My hunch is that you expand to a top 25 and next 25, there's quite a bit of movement in the 15-35 range.

TV is likely driven by underlying TV contracts and what's compelling as the season progresses.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

I also believe a college scholarship is nothing to sneeze at. Millions of kids would love a free ride with all the perks afforded SA's. They also get a stage on which to showcase their abilities to the league. They are far from the indentured servants so many like to portray them as.

If we are being totally honest, many SA's would have trouble getting accepted into college on their academic record alone.
+1

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Nobody's saying to not abide by rules. What's being said is that the underlying rules are antiquated and unfair when there's a clear market value for many types of student-athletes, not just football & men's basketball, and they are prohibited from tapping in to that market value.

What is the clear market value of a minor league baseball player? Or a D League basketball player? Or a euro basketball player? For the majority of scholarship athletes they are getting market value through the scholarship, both the direct tuition and stipend, but also the access to amenities, as well as just entrance into a college many likely wouldn't have made it into without their football/basketball ability. There are some that don't, but I'm not crying that Zion had to pretend to be a student for a year while on a full ride scholarship before going to become a multimillionaire over night.

How about this. If we want to go market value, then get rid of athletic scholarships. Let them get their actual market value. My guess is people will find that safety net of a scholarship is worth a lot more than people pretend it is for most SAs.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
What is the clear market value of a minor league baseball player? Or a D League basketball player? Or a euro basketball player? For the majority of scholarship athletes they are getting market value through the scholarship, both the direct tuition and stipend, but also the access to amenities, as well as just entrance into a college many likely wouldn't have made it into without their football/basketball ability. There are some that don't, but I'm not crying that Zion had to pretend to be a student for a year while on a full ride scholarship before going to become a multimillionaire over night.

How about this. If we want to go market value, then get rid of athletic scholarships. Let them get their actual market value. My guess is people will find that safety net of a scholarship is worth a lot more than people pretend it is for most SAs.
Preach on!!!

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

My point is that there are many student athletes that have a market value in excess of their scholarship, which I've repeatedly said is the only responsibility of the various universities and should remain such.

Your point actually supports what I'm saying. If there is no incremental market value for a given student athlete, then the free market has determined they get $0 extra and they only get their educational expenses.

Nobody is dismissing the value of what a free education provides, but let's not dismiss the incredibly hard work put in by the student athlete and the expense borne by their parents and support network in getting them there.

The idea of saying let's take their scholarship away is another common retort when trying to avoid affording incremental opportunity to student athletes that quite frankly has been earned by their hard work.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

You added to this after my original response, so let me address your subsequent 2 points.

I'm not sneezing at the scholarship and perks. It's an awesome opportunity that every student athlete in America has worked hard to earn and hard work they continue to put in.

I'll agree they're not indentured servants, but it's not like student athletes are all living like kings & queens in the lap of luxury.

To your last point, that's a double edged sword, because if we're being honest, Georgia Tech sports would be miserable as **** without taking students with academic records that might be below that of the typical GT student, so maybe we should all be thankful for colleges providing that opportunity, rather than try and twist it the other way.

Animal02

Banned
Ah yes. The old "they can go play professionally instead" cop out.

And let me make this overall statement of belief that I'm not aiming at you @dressedcheeseside...

I'm of a firm belief that Georgia Tech fans, as well as the fans of many other schools, lean on the rules of amateurism because they know the day that an olympic model or free market model reigns over college athletics, they'll be unwilling to properly support the needs of their school's athletic endeavors, probably because they're too cheap to do so.
Attendance and interest has been on a downward slide.......throw in further inequity, where the outcome is preset between a handful of schools, and interest will take a nose dive. There is a reason all the pro sports went to salary caps etc. They need a fairly level playing field in order to stay in business.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Attendance and interest has been on a downward slide.......throw in further inequity, where the outcome is preset between a handful of schools, and interest will take a nose dive. There is a reason all the pro sports went to salary caps etc. They need a fairly level playing field in order to stay in business.

I think this is an interesting point that I'm going to come back to later today because I think there are pros and cons to discuss.