NCAA explores compensation for names, likeness

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Couple of quotes that stuck out:

"This group will bring together diverse opinions from the membership -- from presidents and commissioners to student-athletes -- that will examine the NCAA's position on name, image and likeness benefits and potentially propose rule modifications tethered to education,''

"While the formation of this group is an important step to confirming what we believe as an association, the group's work will not result in paying students as employees,'' Smith said. "That structure is contrary to the NCAA's educational mission and will not be a part of this discussion.''

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Seems like this would just invite the adidas, Nike, under armours of the world deeper into the college game. Maybe that isn’t a bad thing. It’s a way to pay select players without the ncaa or individual schools footing the bill

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Amateurism has been a crock of **** for a long time.

Open it all up to an olympic model. Let the schools pay for tuition, room & board, books, etc. Let the free market decide the rest and let those free market earnings be transparent & taxable.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Open it all up to an olympic model. Let the schools pay for tuition, room & board, books, etc. Let the free market decide the rest and let those free market earnings be transparent & taxable.

This makes all the sense in the world.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This is all a slippery slope. It has been inevitable since they started giving the stipends. I don't think there is a good answer because there will always be people out there taking any advantage they can exploit to get the best kids.
This. What would prevent a booster with deep pockets from promising a marquee recruit a "job" promoting his business if he attended the booster's school?

Animal02

Banned
This is all a slippery slope. It has been inevitable since they started giving the stipends. I don't think there is a good answer because there will always be people out there taking any advantage they can exploit to get the best kids.
Exactly......unless there are limits, you will have kids at Bama, Ugag etc getting paid huge some of money for photos etc....sort of like the book deals are a way around campaign contribution limits

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This. What would prevent a booster with deep pockets from promising a marquee recruit a "job" promoting his business if he attended the booster's school?

Absolutely nothing. That's the free market at work. If Georgia Tech can't compete in the free market, we should collectively look in the mirror, because that's on us.

Exactly......unless there are limits, you will have kids at Bama, Ugag etc getting paid huge some of money for photos etc....sort of like the book deals are a way around campaign contribution limits

Another example of the free market at work. If you put limits or caps on it, you end up back where you started with folks trying to skirt the system.

Also, it's ineffective to use Bama & UGA as examples. They're already the top dogs in football recruiting. Why would those types of schools, not remain such?

At least it would now be transparent and people wouldn't be getting away with tax evasion via duffle bags.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

You guys like to use the “student” of SA only when it’s convenient. What’s preventing any other student on campus from gettting a book deal being compensated for it?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely nothing. That's the free market at work. If Georgia Tech can't compete in the free market, we should collectively look in the mirror, because that's on us.

Another example of the free market at work. If you put limits or caps on it, you end up back where you started with folks trying to skirt the system.

Also, it's ineffective to use Bama & UGA as examples. They're already the top dogs in football recruiting. Why would those types of schools, not remain such?

At least it would now be transparent and people wouldn't be getting away with tax evasion via duffle bags.
That's where we differ, I don't believe the free market model applies in this situation. There's already disparity due to financial differences among schools/athletic departments, this would only further the divide. I think the NCAA should strive to increase parity rather than decrease it. That would definitely benefit GT and a lot of other schools less financially dominant.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You guys like to use the “student” of SA only when it’s convenient. What’s preventing any other student on campus from gettting a book deal being compensated for it?
I don't mind the SA getting a chunk of the money being generated, but any system that doesn't strive to distribute it with some kind of equity will continue the imbalance and lessen the number of schools able to compete for championships. The playing field is unlevel enough.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

So I understand - you propose letting the schools continue their mission but allow the “S/A” to be compensated by the free market?

Will this free market allow those participating to use the brand & images of the school without their permission? (Use of logos, etc.)

Or can the S/A just market themselves wearing a jersey with the corner drug store logo? And if that is their free market goal, why don’t they just leave school and sell their image to the highest bidder?

Not disagreeing (I believe) with your premise, just want to get a full understanding of the proposed end game.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That's where we differ, I don't believe the free market model applies in this situation. There's already disparity due to financial differences among schools and athletic departments, this would only further the divide. I think the NCAA should strive to increase parity rather than decrease it. That would definitely benefit GT and a lot of other schools less financially dominant.

So student-athletes should not enjoy the fruits of capitalism in a capitalist society?

Also, let me reiterate, the schools must all provide the same basic package. It's the supporters of the schools (alums, fans, local business, sponsors, etc.) that foots the bill for free market activities.

How do you propose driving equity? Rules that will just be skirted without consequence because the NCAA is a corrupt organization that won't kill its cash cows?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So student-athletes should not enjoy the fruits of capitalism in a capitalist society?

Also, let me reiterate, the schools must all provide the same basic package. It's the supporters of the schools (alums, fans, local business, sponsors, etc.) that foots the bill for free market activities.

How do you propose driving equity? Rules that will just be skirted without consequence because the NCAA is a corrupt organization that won't kill its cash cows?
When a student accepts a scholarhip, they agree to abide be the rules of the scholarship. It's a contract they enter into willingly. If they disagree with enough aspects of the contract, they are free to decline it. They can go play in a myriad of minor leagues or other professional leagues not called the NFL for two years then apply for the NFL draft. Remember the NFL is also a party to this as they will not take players for two years after highschool.

I also believe a college scholarship is nothing to sneeze at. Millions of kids would love a free ride with all the perks afforded SA's. They also get a stage on which to showcase their abilities to the league. They are far from the indentured servants so many like to portray them as.

If we are being totally honest, many SA's would have trouble getting accepted into college on their academic record alone.

Last edited: