NCAA denies waivers for Clayton, Ezzard; Sims granted immediate eligibility

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
The 100 miles thing is a clarification the NCAA made over the summer to a rule that already existed pertaining to granting waivers to SAs transferring to be closer to a sick family member (or similar). It isn't a requirement on all waivers. I believe Fields was going for a waiver under the argument that he transferred because racial slurs were made against him when he was at UGA, or stte. The 100 mile thing wouldn't be a factor in that case. Now that situation is a whole different can of worms.
According to UGAg that is not what he used and they claim they would've fought that if it were the case because the other student was expelled for the incident.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Sounds as though Ezzard won't appeal. I still don't understand why his case wasn't considered strong. His coach retiring and a new coach coming in that supported his decision to transfer? Just stupid..

for non believers.

Vegas put our over under at 4 games and +140
Enough people put money on that to move it to +120 and +125 at one point.

Adding 2 4 stars and 1 5 star to the roster after the odds were set and money was bet on the over means vegas takes a bath of those guys are collective enough to tip one game in our favor which conceptually they are.

I would be shocked if both appeals get approved. Shocked. And gladly wrong. One maybe (clayton as he has no more eligibility really just one year)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Is the “100 mile” rule sometimes ignored? If yes (and without thinking too hard, Fields shows that it very obviously is), then it’s not so much a “rule” as a “guideline”. If it’s just a guideline, they should definitely stick with the spirit of the rule instead.

Apples and cantaloupes. Fields waiver wasn't based on the 100 mile rule, but rather the racial slurs hurled at him by a fellow athlete.

GTZachary

Jolly Good Fellow
Apples and cantaloupes. Fields waiver wasn't based on the 100 mile rule, but rather the racial slurs hurled at him by a fellow athlete.

I’m not sure what your agenda is here, but i think you’re greatly exaggerating Field’s situation to justify the inept NCAA. Just let it go.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure what your agenda is here, but i think you’re greatly exaggerating Field’s situation to justify the inept NCAA. Just let it go.

He is just pointing out that Fields' waiver situation has nothing to do with our guys' cases, and he is right on that point. We need to stop referencing the Fields case. It provides no insight on our guys' situations.

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA is a puppet to others in results and games fixing for ratings and money

Fixed above for ya

WVU over under 5 games
money went HARD to the under in a nearly 30% disproportionate rate
QB wants to transfer to help WVU, and maybe the over. APPROVED.

GT over under 4 games
Money went to the over initially
kids transfer to help. REJECTED
Money went back to the under
Will be interesting to see now that money went back to the under; if they get approved

its. all. fixed.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
He is just pointing out that Fields' waiver situation has nothing to do with our guys' cases, and he is right on that point. We need to stop referencing the Fields case. It provides no insight on our guys' situations.

This. If we're going to throw a hissy fit, Martell is the only one that really makes sense for us to throw a tantrum over, and even that has a couple of caveats. He claimed OSU ran him out and apparently OSU didn't overtly deny it.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
This. If we're going to throw a hissy fit, Martell is the only one that really makes sense for us to throw a tantrum over, and even that has a couple of caveats. He claimed OSU ran him out and apparently OSU didn't overtly deny it.

OSU runs a qb out (there fault not martels so to speak)
needs a qb for relevancey
OSU is a ratings machine
there is no way the NCAA wouldn't approve fields no matter the reason even if OSU ran 5 qbs out

add bowling green qb transfer to the hissy fit machine

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Don't know that I'd include him. His brother was on the BGU staff that was fired during the offseason. WVU plans to redshirt him anyways.

doesn't matter what wvu plans are the fact is he got waiver....Ezzard coach left too...

i know you like the ncaa and think what they do is in line 99% of the time. But this is the 1%

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
doesn't matter what wvu plans are the fact is he got waiver....Ezzard coach left too...

i know you like the ncaa and think what they do is in line 99% of the time. But this is the 1%

Did you actually read why Doege (GBU ->WVU QB) got the waiver? His brother was on the previous coaching staff that got canned during the offseason. If my family was on the staff ofg the team I played for I'd feel pretty uncomfortable staying as well. Ezzards coach wasn't his family member.

TD Roof left GT because of the same reason and was given a waiver at Indiana as well.

I LOATHE defending the NCAA, but the assertions you guys are making are not at all accurate.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
So just a collection of assorted thoughts.

In regards to Sims, I'm not entirely sure what to make of the situation. One one hand they say they submitted documentation from doctors supporting the cause, and we have no reason to believe they didn't. On the other hand it seems very odd to me that you have a coach, Harbaugh who is a pretty big proponent of students being able to transfer, and you don't give him a reason more than just personal reasons. Then, in an article designed to drum up public support to try and pressure the NCAA that way, which I am 100% in favor of, not providing anything more as well. Just seems odd to me, and doesn't leave us with much information to really judge the situation.

Overall I wish they would just get rid of the waiver and have transfers not lose a year of eligibility when they transfer. So like Clayton would have to sit a year but would automatically get a 6th year to use up his last two years of eligibility. On a separate note I would also combine this with removing the ability for coaches to block or restrict transfers if that is even still a thing.

About Sims and Harbaugh... I recall that while Harbaugh says he is in favor of kids getting a free transfer he also spoke out that kids are making bogus mental health type claims as the reason for deserving waivers. I’m paraphrasing quite a bit but he was complaining that once kids realize that all they have to do is claim mental health issues and they’ll get immediate eligibility that they would use that excuse when it’s not legit. But he’s come across as challenging the validity of those claims by his players, specifically this year about James Hudson who wanted to transfer to Cincinnati from Michigan.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ts-on-mental-health-and-transfer-eligibility/

I’m linking this article because it has Harbaugh’s explanation of what he meant along with the original statements he made. I want it to be as fair as possible and I hope I’ve accurately paraphrased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
No “hissy fit” over Fields’ transfer (I personally believe anyone wanting to get the hell away from uga should be granted a waiver on principle) here, Tathan is the big one that pisses me off. And honestly, the timing of it all just makes it more frustrating. Why are our guys only getting their rejections a week and a half before our first game, leaving them little to no time to appeal and screwing with our coaches ability to plan things out, when the “big schools” got approved early in the summer? The inconsistency in both results and time frame is maddening.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
This is the stuff that makes me nuts. I know that college football is about money, but I like to live in my own bubble world where it's about the players and the game. And this reminds me that it's about the big schools. Just make a rule -whatever that is-and apply it FAIRLY across all the schools.