NCAA Baseball Tournament

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Maybe it's us, @GTNavyNuke. Are we the problem? UVA pitcher starts off v DBU in 1st inning with BB, HBP, HBP, BB. I'm typing this live. Still no outs, no balls in play and bases loaded with a run in for Dallas Baptist. OUCH! ... the early hook. Starter done.

Yeah, I just got home and checked the score. Balls. Looks like my second favorite team is gone unless they can overcome a 3-9 deficit T7th.

My next favorite is NCState. So there, I've screwed them too:(

Update: It's over. B7th and the baptists have scored again. (Strange when I reread what I just wrote.:cautious: ) 10-3. UVa with 6 walks, 3 HBP and 2 errors so far. Can't say they deserve to win.

Last edited:

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I've seen a lot of guys blocking the base path, including Bart, but I had never heard of a rule change( I don't follow pro ball). On the play at first, the pitcher touched first, but I don't know if he was still in contact when he caught the ball. But I was pleased with the outcome as I stated previously.
I don't know if there was a rule change since I graduated in '06, but then it was legal to line your shinguard on the inside of the chalk with your heel at the corner of the plate. This way, if you don't move, they have a fractional view of plate and your knee will bend (and not blow out) if they slide into you. This was taught by every catching coach I knew.

As an aside, this reminded me of two amazing catching coaches (and good people) Scott Strickland Varitek. They both taught the same thing at the plate -- line up as above, flex to prepare to move, and lead the tag with the glove not the body.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
ACC under performs in tourney:
In: Wake, L'Ville and FSU
Out: UNC, UVa, Clemsoning, NC State

SEC better:
In: LSU, Texas A&M, Vandy, Kentucky, Florida, Miss St
Out: Arkansas, Auburn

No way to sugar coat it for the first round.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
ACC under performs in tourney:
In: Wake, L'Ville and FSU
Out: UNC, UVa, Clemsoning, NC State

SEC better:
In: LSU, Texas A&M, Vandy, Kentucky, Florida, Miss St
Out: Arkansas, Auburn

No way to sugar coat it for the first round.
ACC underperforms? Perhaps you can say that. UNC definitely meets my definition of that. However... UVA, Clemson, and NC State have not demonstrated they can string together enough good games consistently.
- Clemson should have never been a #1 seed. #2 Vandy comes out of that regional.
- UVA cannot get through the TCU regional... no shame in that TCU is a national seed.
- NC State a #3 seed... losing to UK the #1 seed. Although, NC State was set up...having established themselves in the winner's bracket. But lost 2 in a row to UK.

Certainly.. the SEC is out-performing the ACC. 6 teams to the Supers is solid.
ACC can knock out 2 SEC teams: Wake Forest @ Florida; UK @ Louisville

Down to 16 teams (still 3 from last year's CWS field alive):
6 SEC: LSU, TxA&M, Vandy, UK, Florida, MissSt
3 ACC: Wake, Louisville, FSU
2 Big West: Long Bch St, Cal St Fullerton
2 Big 12: Tx Tech, TCU
1 Pac 12: Ore St
1 Southland: Sam Houston St
1 Atlantic 10: Davidson
[I had to look nearly all of those conference affiliations up]

Pulling for ALL the ACC teams (and the cinderella, Davidson) at this point. FSU seems to really be peaking at the right time; and I assume the matchup with Sam Houston St (RPI #37) in Tallahassee heavily favors the Seminoles. Wake Forest could really make a statement beating Florida in Gainesville... no one expects Wake to get out of there, I bet. ..and there is Louisville playing their in-state rival, UK. Gotta hold my nose while pulling for Louisville... not sure I can do that.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Don't sleep on Sam Houston. That league is a very good baseball league, and they beat out Arizona and Texas Tech to get to the Super-Regionals. I would NOT be shocked to see them beat FSU.

Like you, Davidson is now my favorite...gotta love Cinderella stories!

I think Wake has zero chance in Gainesville, sorry.

Gotta hand it to the SEC, they are again dominating in the post-season. You have no idea how much it pains me to say that!

I still think Oregon State is the best team in college baseball, but their league sure looked weaker than expected in the Regionals.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is at least the second year that the ACC has fallen flat in the regionals. Add to that what is coming in the draft (for us at least), and I may be making the argument that the ACC is over rated in recruiting. Kind of like the SEC football recruits get extra stars when they commit.

My current favorite is Wake........ I don't think they will take down Florida, but they can with enough runs.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I watched TCU play today. Elliot Barzilli , who was on the team at GT as a freshman, was their third baseman. He rarely got to play at GT and transferred. He is one of their stars and was 1st team All- Big 12, and 2nd team Pre-season All American. We can't let those type kids leave, especially when I don't think he got a fair shot at playing for us. Maybe he left for academics, but I would have left for lack of PT if I was him.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I watched TCU play today. Elliot Barzilli , who was on the team at GT as a freshman, was their third baseman. He rarely got to play at GT and transferred. He is one of their stars and was 1st team All- Big 12, and 2nd team Pre-season All American. We can't let those type kids leave, especially when I don't think he got a fair shot at playing for us. Maybe he left for academics, but I would have left for lack of PT if I was him.
I hated that he left too, but he was stuck behind Connor Justus at short which worked out pretty good. I think 3rd base was blocked at that time too (maybe Sam Dove?).

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
7 of 8 CWS teams set. Going to add 1 ACC or 1 SEC team to this list:
ACC - FSU; Louisville
SEC - Tex A&M; LSU
PAC 12 - Oregon St
Big 12 - TCU
Big West - CalSt-Fullerton

So.... when all is set, the field is going to have a lot of teams familiar with the CWS with at least 4...& maybe 5 national seeds getting through. If Florida wins, the national seeds that got to the supers, would be 5-0 in that round. So far, CalSt-Fullerton is the only road team to win their series this weekend.
Pulling for Wake!!!

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Don't sleep on Sam Houston. That league is a very good baseball league, and they beat out Arizona and Texas Tech to get to the Super-Regionals. I would NOT be shocked to see them beat FSU.

Though FSU took them to the woodshed (they were beat up some with injuries) in game 2, I very much like their coach. He's a man that goes beyond the W's/L's and the game of baseball.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Turning into a heavyweight battle in Gainesville. Fun to watch. Wake wins Game 2 with a walk off bomb.

Both games so far... go extra innings.

Probably going to come down to just who has the deepest pitching staff. Might be a high scoring Game 3 this afternoon.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
UF pitching very deep -

upload_2017-6-12_21-18-45.png