NCAA Baseball Tournament

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Regional sites announced. Full field announcement tomorrow.
5 ACC teams host: UNC, LOU, WF, FSU, CLEM

Clemson hosting instead of UVA is absolutely ridiculous!!! Something is amiss. Any theories out there?

Clemson did win regular season series (2-1) over UVA in mid-March. But they were in free fall at end of season. Swept by UNC & LOU. Lost series to middle of pack (excuse pun) NCST. Then 0-2 in ACC Tournament as #5 seed.... including a 10-2 thumping at hands of UVA (#4 seed).

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Regional sites announced. Full field announcement tomorrow.
5 ACC teams host: UNC, LOU, WF, FSU, CLEM

Clemson hosting instead of UVA is absolutely ridiculous!!! Something is amiss. Any theories out there?

Clemson did win regular season series (2-1) over UVA in mid-March. But they were in free fall at end of season. Swept by UNC & LOU. Lost series to middle of pack (excuse pun) NCST. Then 0-2 in ACC Tournament as #5 seed.... including a 10-2 thumping at hands of UVA (#4 seed).

Yeah, that's not right. UVA should have been hosting ahead of Clemson and the only reason that I can think of is that Clemson mat have a better RPI. I haven't checked the RPI lately though so I have no idea if that's true.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
They should have placed UVA closer to home, especially when the host school has been relevant in recent years/legitimately a #1 seed.

That was a shocker to me!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
7 ACC Teams in tournament. First day of action:
Winners: NCST, LOU, CLEM, WF
Losers: UNC, FSU
Postponed: UVA
Interesting coincidence(?) the only 2 ACC losses were the 2 teams that played in ACC Championship.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
7 ACC Teams in tournament. First day of action:
Winners: NCST, LOU, CLEM, WF
Losers: UNC, FSU
Postponed: UVA
Interesting coincidence(?) the only 2 ACC losses were the 2 teams that played in ACC Championship.

What is really ugly is UNC and FSU lost to the 4 seeds, Davidson and Tenn Tech.

It's baseball. I'd like for the ACC to do well but these two teams losing is fine by me. FSU up 3-0 in the 4th right now. Both teams can easily win out ...... or easily lose to better teams than the 4 seeds.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, all ACC teams still in it. But three with one loss and need to win next two:
UNC #1 seed
Clemson #1 seed (will Clemson Clemson? 3-7 in last 10. New coach, same result.)
FSU #2 seed (had to fix my error from yesterday about seed).

My favorite team in the NCAAs, UVa is 1-0 ....... plays #1 seed TCU @1700 today.

FWIW, SEC has three losses too.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Well, all ACC teams still in it. But three with one loss and need to win next two:
UNC #1 seed
Clemson #1 seed (will Clemson Clemson? 3-7 in last 10. New coach, same result.)
FSU #2 seed (had to fix my error from yesterday about seed).

My favorite team in the NCAAs, UVa is 1-0 ....... plays #1 seed TCU @1700 today.

FWIW, SEC has three losses too.
The academics are what wears down Clemson, you can change coaches but not professors. ;)

THWG

Helluva Engineer
As Sunday winds down...

Only 3 of last year's 8 CWS teams still alive: TCU, Texas Tech, Florida

The other 5: Miami, Coastal Carolina, Ok St, Arizona, UC Santa Barbara

Biggest upset so far...by far, #4 seed Davidson rolled through the Chapel Hill regional... beating UNC twice.
I watched some of the Chapel Hill regional today and I believe that the announcers said that Davidson only has 3.5 scholarships given out this year. If this is true (if I heard them right), then it is incredible what they did this weekend.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So far:

ACC has two in with Wake and L'Ville. One out with UNC.
SEC has one in with LSU. One out with Arkansas.

A lot of baseball today. 3 of the 4 elimination games for the ACC are versus the SEC .......

I like the NCAA format for pool play double elimination a lot better than the semi-single elimination ACC tournament. The meaningless ACC tourney games should be eliminated and that would be a reward for winning; just like it is in the NCAAs.

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Did anyone happen to see the bottom of the 9th in Davidson's win over UNC? I would like someone to chime in with the rule regarding catchers "blocking the plate" in college baseball. I know the MLB recently changed this rule to stop/reduce intentional (dangerous) collisions at home between runner and catcher. The MLB rule is not actually too clear to me; but from what I understand....the catcher, in positioning himself to receive a throw home, cannot place himself "in the line" between home and 3rd base. IF the throw forces him into that line... that is OK. I've seen some cases in the MLB where runners are ruled safe when the catcher "obstructs" the runner's line to reach home.

I doubt college has the exact same rule; but here was the situation last night. [ESPN3 showed like one replay of this play...not enough for me to judge much] Davidson was up 2-1 with 1 out and UNC had runners on 1st and 2nd. Base hit liner to RF, tying run coming with a play at the plate. It appeared to me the catcher was definitely "standing" in/on the line between home and 3rd base; therefore obstructing the runner's line. The runner beat the throw (barely) but slid headfirst "around" the catcher and missed touching the plate. The runner (after sliding past home) righted himself and made the leap to touch home as the catcher dove to apply the tag.... it was bang/bang; but the ump called the runner out. The runner was livid... jumped up and shouted at the ump. I do not know if his anger was related to the catcher obstructing his path or he felt he still beat the tag (or both)...or just bitterness for not scoring. :) Regardless.. he was out (HUGE PLAY) and now runners were on 1st and 3rd with 2 outs.

Then with 2 outs (tying run at 3rd)... the UNC dude hit a hard chopper to 1st base. The pitcher was in a full sprint to get to 1st to gather the throw coming from the 1st basemen. The throw definitely beat the runner... but the pitcher had little opportunity to get under control to step on 1st. [I saw no replay of this play] The 1st base coach went nuts when the guy was called out.... I assume his case was the pitcher did not actually step on 1st.

UNC had 2 chances to score that tying run on 2 consecutive close/weird/controversial plays. It was a pretty crazy finish and I'd love to see more angles of both plays (as well as a good explanation of the rule regarding plays at the plate in college).

You can bet... next year, replay review will be part of ALL of the NCAA baseball tournament... not just CWS. IIRC... the super-regionals will not have instant replay review; but the CWS will.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Did anyone happen to see the bottom of the 9th in Davidson's win over UNC? I would like someone to chime in with the rule regarding catchers "blocking the plate" in college baseball. I know the MLB recently changed this rule to stop/reduce intentional (dangerous) collisions at home between runner and catcher. The MLB rule is not actually too clear to me; but from what I understand....the catcher, in positioning himself to receive a throw home, cannot place himself "in the line" between home and 3rd base. IF the throw forces him into that line... that is OK. I've seen some cases in the MLB where runners are ruled safe when the catcher "obstructs" the runner's line to reach home.

I doubt college has the exact same rule; but here was the situation last night. [ESPN3 showed like one replay of this play...not enough for me to judge much] Davidson was up 2-1 with 1 out and UNC had runners on 1st and 2nd. Base hit liner to RF, tying run coming with a play at the plate. It appeared to me the catcher was definitely "standing" in/on the line between home and 3rd base; therefore obstructing the runner's line. The runner beat the throw (barely) but slid headfirst "around" the catcher and missed touching the plate. The runner (after sliding past home) righted himself and made the leap to touch home as the catcher dove to apply the tag.... it was bang/bang; but the ump called the runner out. The runner was livid... jumped up and shouted at the ump. I do not know if his anger was related to the catcher obstructing his path or he felt he still beat the tag (or both)...or just bitterness for not scoring. :) Regardless.. he was out (HUGE PLAY) and now runners were on 1st and 3rd with 2 outs.

Then with 2 outs (tying run at 3rd)... the UNC dude hit a hard chopper to 1st base. The pitcher was in a full sprint to get to 1st to gather the throw coming from the 1st basemen. The throw definitely beat the runner... but the pitcher had little opportunity to get under control to step on 1st. [I saw no replay of this play] The 1st base coach went nuts when the guy was called out.... I assume his case was the pitcher did not actually step on 1st.

UNC had 2 chances to score that tying run on 2 consecutive close/weird/controversial plays. It was a pretty crazy finish and I'd love to see more angles of both plays (as well as a good explanation of the rule regarding plays at the plate in college).

You can bet... next year, replay review will be part of ALL of the NCAA baseball tournament... not just CWS. IIRC... the super-regionals will not have instant replay review; but the CWS will.
I've seen a lot of guys blocking the base path, including Bart, but I had never heard of a rule change( I don't follow pro ball). On the play at first, the pitcher touched first, but I don't know if he was still in contact when he caught the ball. But I was pleased with the outcome as I stated previously.

THWG

Helluva Engineer

You can still block the plate in college. Pitchers can also still do the fake to 3rd and throw to 1st in college.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
So far:

ACC has two in with Wake and L'Ville. One out with UNC.
SEC has one in with LSU. One out with Arkansas.

A lot of baseball today. 3 of the 4 elimination games for the ACC are versus the SEC .......

I like the NCAA format for pool play double elimination a lot better than the semi-single elimination ACC tournament. The meaningless ACC tourney games should be eliminated and that would be a reward for winning; just like it is in the NCAAs.

As compiled by D-! Baseball.com.....Not that it matters, but in case you’re interested here are the record through four days of play:

Big 12: 9-10
SEC: 19-6
Big West: 6-1
ACC: 17-6
Pac 12: 6-6
Big Ten: 3-10
AAC: 3-5

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Maybe it's us, @GTNavyNuke. Are we the problem? UVA pitcher starts off v DBU in 1st inning with BB, HBP, HBP, BB. I'm typing this live. Still no outs, no balls in play and bases loaded with a run in for Dallas Baptist. OUCH! ... the early hook. Starter done.