@ NC State Baseball

How many games will we win this weekend (assuming 3 played)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 7 30.4%

Votes: 13 56.5%

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We start ACC play this weekend against #13 NC State. I think we'll do well and win 2. One is what is expected. Warren Nolan has both teams scoring 19 runs in 3 games so it's a toss up. Let's restart the season right!

They swept BC last week at home, once in 11 innings and once 18-16. The Saturday game was the only one they won comfortably; 9-1. Then lost to UNCG Tuesday 3 to 18. https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2024/schedule/North-Carolina-State

So they are beatable.

Weather looks fairly good with maybe light rain Fridy during the 6PM game, but nothing major and warm (~70F).

I’m hearing McKee Finateri McGuire for this weekend. Needing to win a lot of midweek games, let’s leave Ballard there. Pitchers are creatures of habit so hopefully we can settle in and every guy can assimilate to their role.

I'm thinking we pitch whoever it takes to win ACC series, especially on the road.
1710443986853.png

1710443680444.png

Last edited:

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
For the poll, the interesting thing for me is I can honestly see any of the four options happening. I like that this team isn't as reliant on home runs with how many threats to steal bases we have. Pitching is going to be vital (as usual) but has been to volatile for me to really gauge where we are currently. I picked 1 for the poll, but I think it's close to 50/50.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Bullpen still frightens me. I think our starters will keep it very close into the 5/6 inning in 2 of 3 games. With strong bullpen efforts, we could win both of those close games. I fear we can’t expect that.
I voted 1 win.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Just nitpicking, but the title of the thread “@ NC STATE BASEBALL” could confuse some casual baseball fans since the game is being played here in Atlanta ……

Of course, there are no casual baseball fans on this site!😀

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Game Friday at 4pm.

This is odd. I wonder who Hall uses as his meteorologist. The weather reports I have seen have the rain starting around lunchtime and running through the afternoon, finishing off around 4 PM. I sorta expected a time change, but in the other direction.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
place is now synonymous with the Song “Wagon Wheel” which I one day enjoyed and now cannot stand 🤮. Yes both versions

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Solid win tonight to go 13-4 overall and 1-0 in the ACC

Opportunity to win the series tomorrow as it's so nice to get a Friday Night W

Let's start with Mason Patel.
Gutty and gritty. Will keep you in the game. Doesn't beat himself. Not necessarily electric stuff however, he fights and keeps you in games. Still feels like Taylor and Hall are just hoping that Cam can take on the role of Friday night starter but I like Mason and think he'll play a big part in our team's 2024 success.

Bullpen:
I like what Tate McKee has become and has a chance to be a great pitcher at Tech along with his freshman mate, Carson Ballard. Only issue i've seen multiple times with the kid is he wears his emotions on his sleeve. Complete opposite of Mason. You know when Tate is jacked or completely ticked off. IMO its hard to pitch with emotions. I like Tate's stuff though and think the kid will only get better.

Cam Hill- Maybe the pen where he feels most comfortable. Looked fantastic in the 7th and 8th. Just couldn't get an out in the 9th but great job by Cam Jones to come in and seal the deal.

I really like Cam Jones and glad we had a relatively comfortable lead but i just don't see it as a closer but he is a winner and demands the ball so go for it KID!

Pitcher Sam Highfill for Nc State has had some really nice moments in his career so I feel like the offense did good to get to him and get to their pen.

Carson Kerce. Another outstanding freshmen and he may have taken the spot from Giesler with his glove however his bat has been impressive. Solo shot to tie the game in the 5th at 2-2 for the Pope Greyhound.

Speaking of Giesler....Here we are again with another day to day situation where he hasn't played in a month. Just not certain anymore we will see him in the month of march. Maybe just maybe he comes back healthy in April but what seemed like an innocent hit by pitch has clearly turned into something far greater as he's not even an option to DH.

Drew Burress- There's just nothing more to say. The kid is just special. Plain n simple. I'm sure mlb teams will be salivating over him in a couple of years.

Good to see Payton Green get a 2 run hr.
I like Bobby Barrells and really hope the kid gets going at DH.
Parker Brosius continues to impress.

Overall congratulations to the boys on winning 6 straight and quieting the nc state bench tonight.
My son and I will be there tomorrow for hopefully the series clincher.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, so far no one is wrong in predicting the number of wins this weekend. Kind of interesting that no one picked us to get swept since NC State is ranked #13 and uGa isn't ranked and swept us.

What contributed largely to the win IMHO was the improved defense. I think we would have lost this game last year. Kerce stole a few in-field hits with great fielding and strong accurate throws. And RF Brosius made a great over the shoulder running catch. We got a DP in the fourth with bases loaded to end the inning.

Early on till our bats got going, NC State was putting the pressure on with hard hit balls. We were only getting weak contact against Highfill till the 5th. We managed to manufacture a run in the 3rd with a bunt to advance the runners. Given how we weren't making contact, that was a good coaching call IMHO. But our bats came alive as Highfill tired and his reliever wasn't that effective. Hopefully, that's a sign of what's to come.

We were fortunate to win since they left 10 on base. Overall pitching was weak with 56% strikes, that won't do it most days. And the 9th was a PTSD special when Hill lost control; double, HBP, 4 pitch walk to load bases with no outs. But Cam Jones came in and trusted the D and got three GO/LO to let us escape.