NC State - ACC Weekend #1

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Archer, Smith, Finley looked absolutely awesome yesterday. If Crawford is as effective as last Sunday (recognizing stronger NCST lineup today), we've got a really strong backend ready to go today. All the preseason hype about this team is looking true. I don't recall EVER seeing a GT baseball team this loaded with pitching - EVER. Not hard to envision a top 10 team this year with enough top-notch arms to make a serious post-season run. Perhaps my excitement is getting me too far over my skis a bit but this team could be special... Fired up about watching the sweep of a very good NCST team today!

Deleted member 2897

we've got a really strong backend ready to go today.

giphy.gif

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Archer, Smith, Finley looked absolutely awesome yesterday. If Crawford is as effective as last Sunday (recognizing stronger NCST lineup today), we've got a really strong backend ready to go today. All the preseason hype about this team is looking true. I don't recall EVER seeing a GT baseball team this loaded with pitching - EVER. Not hard to envision a top 10 team this year with enough top-notch arms to make a serious post-season run. Perhaps my excitement is getting me too far over my skis a bit but this team could be special... Fired up about watching the sweep of a very good NCST team today!

I think you are right that we probably have the best pitching depth we've ever had by far. And we have DBo - for whom the hype is appropriate IMHO.

BUT so do other teams with COVID extra years and the reduced MLB draft. College baseball is supposed to have the highest caliber players ever because of it. Pitching depth is part of the reason unranked UCF took the weekend series from #1 (for now) Ole Miss.

Here's who we have available today (depending on who travelled and assuming Friday pitchers aren't). This is obscene depth.
NumberFirst NameLast NamePositionPerfect Game RankingYear
27​
LukeBartnickiLHP34 Overall, 3 LHP, Astros 29th RoundSophomore
39​
JakeBraceRHP500+ Overall, 314 RHPJunior
35​
DawsonBrownRHP500+ Overall, 520 RHPFreshman
36​
SamCrawfordLHPNo dataRS Sophomore
8​
MarquisGrissomRHP85 Overall, 27 RHP;Freshman
22​
ChanceHuffRHP268 overall, 101 RHPSophomore
46​
BenKingRHP500+ Overall, 619 RHPFreshman
32​
JosephMannellyLHP500+ Overall, 25 LHPRS Sophomore
41​
ZacharyMaxwellRHP84 Overall, 28 RHP; Yankees Rd 30Freshman
55​
JohnMedichRHPNo dataGraduate
19​
CortRoedigRHP261 Overall, 98 RHP,Sophomore
48​
JosiahSeigelLHPHigh Follow 432 LHPFreshman
34​
WillShirahLHP/OF183 Overall, 21 LHP,RS Sophomore
37​
XanderStephensRHP344 Overall, 116 RHP;Freshman
47​
TylerWatsonLHP500+ Overall, 161 LHPFreshman
24​
BrodyWestbrooksRHP500+ Overall, 259 RHPFreshman

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
@GTNavyNuke How did we even amass that much pitching talent? I’ve been a casual Beesball observer for a long time and I think I can count on one hand the number of times we’ve had more than 3 truly legitimate starters.
You didn't ask me... but we finally paid for stuff. Assistant coach(es)...& facilities/technology. Particularly as it relates to pitchers, we can demonstrate they will develop while at Tech.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@GTNavyNuke How did we even amass that much pitching talent? I’ve been a casual Beesball observer for a long time and I think I can count on one hand the number of times we’ve had more than 3 truly legitimate starters.

DBo. Look at how young they are. And. It's. Going. To. Get. Better.

Got a lot of love from D1 Aaron Fitt https://d1baseball.com/at-the-ballpark/veterans-spark-series-clinching-win-for-young-jackets/

I would like to point out the one glaring weakness in our game this year is the inability to bunt properly ......... {:troll} Ask Waddell.

Edit: People were asking about velo:
"The other young guy who shined Saturday is 2YR FR righthander Jackson Finley, who worked the final three innings for his first career save, racking up seven strikeouts — all of them on fastballs at 93-97 mph. Very physical and ultra-athletic at 6-foot-4, 222 pounds, Finley also has prodigious raw power at the plate, but he sure looked like a future star on the mound Saturday. NC State has a very mature lineup, and Finley just overpowered some very good hitters with pure heat.He struck out four straight batters in the seventh and eighth: preseason All-American Jose Torre on an elevated 94 mph heater, hitting machine Austin Murr on 95, preseason All-American Tyler McDonough on 94, and Tresh on 97. He didn’t have great feel for his 78-79 curveball at first, but it flashed some promise at times, with decent downer action to it, and I also saw a changeup or two that showed potential. He needs to refine his secondary stuff, but the way the fastball explodes out of his hand and carries through the zone is special."

Last edited:

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I think you are right that we probably have the best pitching depth we've ever had by far. And we have DBo - for whom the hype is appropriate IMHO.

BUT so do other teams with COVID extra years and the reduced MLB draft. College baseball is supposed to have the highest caliber players ever because of it. Pitching depth is part of the reason unranked UCF took the weekend series from #1 (for now) Ole Miss.

Here's who we have available today (depending on who travelled and assuming Friday pitchers aren't). This is obscene depth.
NumberFirst NameLast NamePositionPerfect Game RankingYear
27​
LukeBartnickiLHP34 Overall, 3 LHP, Astros 29th RoundSophomore
39​
JakeBraceRHP500+ Overall, 314 RHPJunior
35​
DawsonBrownRHP500+ Overall, 520 RHPFreshman
36​
SamCrawfordLHPNo dataRS Sophomore
8​
MarquisGrissomRHP85 Overall, 27 RHP;Freshman
22​
ChanceHuffRHP268 overall, 101 RHPSophomore
46​
BenKingRHP500+ Overall, 619 RHPFreshman
32​
JosephMannellyLHP500+ Overall, 25 LHPRS Sophomore
41​
ZacharyMaxwellRHP84 Overall, 28 RHP; Yankees Rd 30Freshman
55​
JohnMedichRHPNo dataGraduate
19​
CortRoedigRHP261 Overall, 98 RHP,Sophomore
48​
JosiahSeigelLHPHigh Follow 432 LHPFreshman
34​
WillShirahLHP/OF183 Overall, 21 LHP,RS Sophomore
37​
XanderStephensRHP344 Overall, 116 RHP;Freshman
47​
TylerWatsonLHP500+ Overall, 161 LHPFreshman
24​
BrodyWestbrooksRHP500+ Overall, 259 RHPFreshman
I know you're just including pitchers, but I heard that Grenkoski throws 95, so I'm expecting to see him on the mound at some point this year.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
My crack research team has tried to find last time Ga Tech swept an ACC opponent on the road. These highly paid researchers have determined it was....

at Miami in 2011.

None of the 10 previous ACC series wins in current 11 series streak was a sweep (home or road). The last ACC sweep was at home in 2018 (Miami again).

So... if nothing else we're DUE for a sweep & MORE DUE for a road sweep.

LibertyTurns

Banned
My crack research team has tried to find last time Ga Tech swept an ACC opponent on the road. These highly paid researchers have determined it was....

at Miami in 2011.

None of the 10 previous ACC series wins in current 11 series streak was a sweep (home or road). The last ACC sweep was at home in 2018 (Miami again).

Boooo. You trying as hard as you can to jinx us?

Deleted member 2897

at Miami in 2011.

Good job giving them something worthwhile to research other than crack cocaine for a change.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
A sub-plot (lesson) in yesterday's game. Freebies kill you. No freebies limit damage to manageable levels.

NCST hit 3 solo HRs... accounted for all their runs. The 1st 2 HRs came with 2 outs. One right after Archer battled back from 3-0 count to strike out a guy.

In contrast... 3 of our 8 runs were guys who reached via BB or HBP... including both guys Waddell drove in with his HR. So...
3HRs for opponent = 3runs.
3HRs for Ga Tech = 5 runs (thanks to freebies)
... not to mention run #3 (in 6th) resulting from NCST balk & wild pitch.

Deleted member 2897

at Miami in 2011.

27 outs away from one of 2 scenarios:
1) A sweep, on the road, against a top 10 team - Generational Series
2) A series win, on the road, against a top 10 team - launches us into the top 10 ourselves.

Either way a win win.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Looks like Fitt is there for the games too. Might earn us an extra spot or two in the D1B poll with him getting to see us dominate live.

Likely going to see @Duke or @UNC also 1300 start. While we are good, we aren't the only team he follows. He generally writes good things about all teams but consistently ranks us high. (Watch what a person does, not what he says!)

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
We’re certainly trying to make things interesting. B6 they have runners and 2nd/3rd nobody out. K, K, and a wild pitch from Maxwell thrown so hard that it bounces perfectly off their backstop all the way back to Holland who beats the runner to home plate by 5 feet.

Think they left the bases loaded in the 5th as well.

Still up 6-2 T7.

Deleted member 2897

8-3, another copy/paste game. 3 outs from a generational series sweep - on the road, against a top 10 team. This would be a big big BFD.