NC st. Vs GT, Battle to Stay/Get Out of the Basement

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Losing to a team with 6 straight losses and at home without major injuries to our starters is very troubling. Lose to Pitt and we lose out. Very few positives for this team. At least we beat the dwags. Time for spring.
I actually had many of the same sentiments watching the game last night. I hate it for the seniors to have a season go like this, but at least they broke the streak against the dwags. I hope the guys haven't mentally checked out, but it looks like its time to wrap it up, make our mandatory day trip to Brooklyn, and call it a season. Baseball season begins soon!

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Well...I'm not sure if I have yet cleaned off the stink from watching this game. I almost didn't post, but I wanted to try and offer something constructive to the discussion other than, "We stink. We are doomed!"

Did anybody try to throw things at the TV in the first half (or computer, in my case)? Yeah, it was one of the worst I have ever seen. It was a perfect storm of us being extremely cold (serious question--did the team go out drinking the night before?), NC State hitting everything (including a 3 where the ball hit the back of the rim, went straight up into the air and came down in the basket), and us playing with as little energy as any Pastner team ever.
-When we went zone, they shot the lights out. When we went man, they just switched with Howard's guy and we left him out there to guard on the perimeter EVERY TIME! That's on the coaches, and its really foolish to not tell Howard to NOT switch onto guards. Between that and very low effort and energy...defense was basically non-existent. The only bright spots on defense were Jalen Moore and DSmith. Those guys brought the energy. Moore is earning more minutes, IMO
-Our offense....was also horrible, but mostly because we couldn't make an open shot. Usher and Devoe had 26 points....on 29 shots. Ouch. We also lacked movement off the ball, didn't cut with energy, didn't rebound well, and well, didn't really do much of anything well that I saw.
-With the exception being....Mr. Rodney Howard. Who would have thought? He came to play, grabbing 11 rebounds (5 on offense!), 14 points, and 2 blocks. I love that he is looking to take the ball to the rim quickly, and we made some good passes to him. Granted, NC State has no significant big man, still...he took advantage. To be honest, we should have looked to him more.
-I kept asking for Coleman and Kelly to get more shots. They were 1 of 7 from 3. Ugh.
-Interestingly, Deebo was somehow +1 on the court. His shot was way off, but he does a lot of little things. He's going to be a star.

Well, all we can do is flush this one. No use in calling for Pastner's head right now. We can all see that this team is...well, disappointing. This game was a good opportunity to get out of the ACC basement and we completely failed the test. Win or lose, I'll keep cheering. Go Jackets.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ's post game presser should be interesting as to what shade of lipstick 💄 he'll put on the pig 🐖 tonight.

Probably how we fought through after being down 30 points and only losing by 15.
To his credit he owned the loss. Apologized to the fans, said the first half was not up to his standards, the fans standards and Georgia Tech standards. Said loss was completely on Josh Pastner. Doesn't excuse the performance, but it was refreshing he didn't insult the fan's intelligence they way our other revenue generating coach does.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
To his credit he owned the loss. Apologized to the fans, said the first half was not up to his standards, the fans standards and Georgia Tech standards. Said loss was completely on Josh Pastner. Doesn't excuse the performance, but it was refreshing he didn't insult the fan's intelligence they way our other revenue generating coach does.

Really? There is a 350 page thread to discuss that. Do we really care that much if the coach "owns" the loss and says all the right things to make us feel better? Just win. There is nothing refreshing about Pastner at the moment. I am rooting for him, but he did not bring a roster ready to compete this year and they are getting worse and not better down the stretch.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Really? There is a 350 page thread to discuss that. Do we really care that much if the coach "owns" the loss and says all the right things to make us feel better? Just win.
I will admit I am confused by your reply. I didn't say I didn't want to win, actually said it didn't excuse the performance. Just noticed that unlike CGC (who I will support as long as he is our football coach) rarely ever genuinely says he was not up to standard , it was refreshing to hear a coach genuinely apologize that he didn't do his job. I didn't get the impression he was saying it because it was the "right thing" to say. Did you hear the post game presser?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I will admit I am confused by your reply. I didn't say I didn't want to win, actually said it didn't excuse the performance. Just noticed that unlike CGC (who I will support as long as he is our football coach) rarely ever genuinely says he was not up to standard , it was refreshing to hear a coach genuinely apologize that he didn't do his job. I didn't get the impression he was saying it because it was the "right thing" to say. Did you hear the post game presser?

I neither give credit nor blame for press conference quotes. Could not possibly care less about them.
I just don't see a reason to bring up Collins in the hoops forum when there are plenty of venues to complain about him.

2ndgenjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree with almost all of the negative comments about that game. It seemed they tried to play at a pace beyond their comfort level and threw up wild shots and wild passes for turnovers. D was erratic on the high switch and too many aggressive run outs at shooters in the zone were always a step behind.

However, I agree with daddee’s perspective more. As Cremins used to say, its about team chemistry. For whatever reason which I think daddee captured, this team’s chemistry is broke. Sometimes improvement can be made by subtraction and as good as 0 has been in some games, the younger players deferred earlier but now once it goes into the black hole it’s stand around and maybe try to get an offensive rebound (kudos to Howard for this game and to Devion for previous efforts). Next time down the court if someone besides 0 touches it, it’s going up and who can blame them?

I see promise for next year just like dadeee in progression of current players but more important a return to team focus to winning without a superstar.
-Devion needs to play more unless he’s hurt. Why was sturd left in after multiple out of control drives and wild shots? D only needs the experience to learn to protect the ball. IMO, he shows better defense, just as good a shot other than 3 ball, and better rebounder
-Debo is Duane Ferrell 2.0. and will only get better and better
-Kelly showed quickness and aggressiveness at end of game with a couple of steals

Yes they’ll need help from the portal but I think they’ll really miss ush and need a scoring power forward. They have a decent core and I’m not giving up on the team or Josh

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I agree with almost all of the negative comments about that game. It seemed they tried to play at a pace beyond their comfort level and threw up wild shots and wild passes for turnovers. D was erratic on the high switch and too many aggressive run outs at shooters in the zone were always a step behind.

However, I agree with daddee’s perspective more. As Cremins used to say, its about team chemistry. For whatever reason which I think daddee captured, this team’s chemistry is broke. Sometimes improvement can be made by subtraction and as good as 0 has been in some games, the younger players deferred earlier but now once it goes into the black hole it’s stand around and maybe try to get an offensive rebound (kudos to Howard for this game and to Devion for previous efforts). Next time down the court if someone besides 0 touches it, it’s going up and who can blame them?

I see promise for next year just like dadeee in progression of current players but more important a return to team focus to winning without a superstar.
-Devion needs to play more unless he’s hurt. Why was sturd left in after multiple out of control drives and wild shots? D only needs the experience to learn to protect the ball. IMO, he shows better defense, just as good a shot other than 3 ball, and better rebounder
-Debo is Duane Ferrell 2.0. and will only get better and better
-Kelly showed quickness and aggressiveness at end of game with a couple of steals

Yes they’ll need help from the portal but I think they’ll really miss ush and need a scoring power forward. They have a decent core and I’m not giving up on the team or Josh
Debo is much more like Morrow than Duane. He is a a good shooter but he isn’t very athletic. Duane was an exceptional athlete.