National Signing Day Coverage

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope we get at least 25. Do transfers count against this class or overall number?
Transfers don't count towards the 25 cap of HS recruits per year/class. But they still count toward the 85 total, so unless a team has an unusual amount of guys transferring out or a large number graduating, you'll likely see each "class" stay around that 25 number counting transfers and HS recruits. Now once you've signed 25 guys out of HS for one year, you can still add transfers as long as you are still under the 85 total.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Also remember these class ranking aren’t set in stone. This is just Early Signing Day. We can still sign 5-6 more guys, and even more if more transfer.
I hope you're right. 247Sports now has us ranked #44 nationally. I guess with the different time zones those rankings during signing day can go up and down.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I hope you're right. 247Sports now has us ranked #44 nationally. I guess with the different time zones those rankings during signing day can go up and down.

I don't think either service counts transfers. Given we just landed 2 4 stars and a DE that was at one time rated a 10 DL in college football (on top of a DT and OL), I think had our staff filled those spots with HS recruits, we would have been ranked higher.

8. EDGE KEION WHITE, OLD DOMINION
The fact that White was playing tight end for Old Dominion in 2018 before switching to the edge in 2019 and is a top 10 defensive linemen returning next year is pretty remarkable. He played both sides in high school, but the way he played in 2019 made it seem like he’s been there his entire career. He finished 2019 as the 11th most valuable edge rusher and produced a pass-rush win rate and pressure rate among the 25 best. Not to mention, he stuffed the run, as his run-defense grade was the fifth best in the FBS. And there's no argument for claims of a weak schedule being the catalyst for such production — his best game of 2019 came against their best opponent back in Week 4, when the Monarchs went on the road to Virginia. That game, he had an elite 91.8 pass-rush grade and eight total pressures.

Keion White alone is a HUGE recruiting win for our staff. That is a legit college level difference maker on defense.

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Apparently we're losers for not getting Ball and Matthews, then Helms backing off.

Thing is, we got 2 NFL potential picks (Cochrane, White), 2 4 star transfers with 4 years of eligibility (Watson, Harris), and 2 potential starters in the trenches (Scott, Pendley). We actually "gained" more than we lost. The only real loss was Helms who was committed...the other guys were just targets so we never lost them.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Apparently we're losers for not getting Ball and Matthews, then Helms backing off.

Thing is, we got 2 NFL potential picks (Cochrane, White), 2 4 star transfers with 4 years of eligibility (Watson, Harris), and 2 potential starters in the trenches (Scott, Pendley). We actually "gained" more than we lost. The only real loss was Helms who was committed...the other guys were just targets so we never lost them.

Yeah, that is a lazy article thrown together for clicks. Our staff actually did a *really* good job of holding the commits we really wanted. The only one that hurt was Helms

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
The graphics and social media presence today were very professional and enticing. Showing off the highlights of the recruits and the sick 404 edits really gives our recruiting program a good look. Very excited for this latest group of Jackets. With all the transfers in and the new recruits, Collins has proven he can recruit well. I think someone mentioned 13 of our 45 top ever recruits have been his. Impressive. Now to see if he can start to turn things around on the field now that some of his guys will have been here for almost 3 years.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Should start right at 1:26:30 where interview with Collins begins

Absolutely worth the listen. Not just about this class, but how the perception of GT as a program is changing with recruits.

Also worth noting these guys are salivating over Leo Blackburn...apparently GT held off some big programs for him. Potential to move up to a 4 star recruit. Sounds like the pandemic may have helped us in terms of schools not getting to take a closer look at players because Blackburn would have been the typical Senior riser. CGC sold momma Blackburn which was the difference in the end. I still think he ends up at TE before it's all said and done.

They're also big fans of Kaleb Edwards...and those who followed his recruiting thread know that kid is just a straight baller.

Sounds like the staff still has some coals burning in the recruiting fire. Not just for the January window, but possible Spring transfers.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Right now this is where coach collins and crew shine, our recruiting , marketing and social media presence is light years better than just 3 years ago. We don't have a football program yet that just sells itself like the power houses.
Now we just need to translate this effort into wins!

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Absolutely worth the listen. Not just about this class, but how the perception of GT as a program is changing with recruits.

Also worth noting these guys are salivating over Leo Blackburn...apparently GT held off some big programs for him. Potential to move up to a 4 star recruit. Sounds like the pandemic may have helped us in terms of schools not getting to take a closer look at players because Blackburn would have been the typical Senior riser. CGC sold momma Blackburn which was the difference in the end. I still think he ends up at TE before it's all said and done.

They're also big fans of Kaleb Edwards...and those who followed his recruiting thread know that kid is just a straight baller.

Sounds like the staff still has some coals burning in the recruiting fire. Not just for the January window, but possible Spring transfers.
On Blackburn, Russell Johnson (I think) compared him to Gilbert last year (who ironically we are hoping will transfer here) minus a little bit of weight. You could be right on the TE spot.

He should be a nightmare in the redzone assuming he has good ball skills.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
On Blackburn, Russell Johnson (I think) compared him to Gilbert last year (who ironically we are hoping will transfer here) minus a little bit of weight. You could be right on the TE spot.

He should be a nightmare in the redzone assuming he has good ball skills.
I say we should just put Blackburn at whatever position gets him on the field faster (which looks to be WR right now) and take his preference into account. He for sure has the physical tools to be a great WR. He seems to have the tools to be a great TE too, but if that’s not what he wants, it will be a waste, like Jimmy Graham on the Seahawks (I don’t care what his contract says, he’s not a TE).